CLK63 Black Series Forum & Registry Information and discussion on the W209 CLK63 AMG Black Series and Registry for all owners.

How to remove BS hood emblem?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 06:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lamborghini Gallardo + Audi Allroad
How to remove BS hood emblem?

I own a CLK63 BS and I need to replace my (imperfect) hood emblem. I have been unable to find any method of removing the old emblem and have searched this forum and google and have been unable to find any clear instructions on how to do it. The "dental floss" method and any other method of trying to carefully pry it off does not work. I can't even get my finger nail underneath the emblem, let alone anything else. The dealer has been unsuccessful in finding any info from their internal portal.

If anyone has replaced their emblem and can provide an actual method on how do so please reply or PM me. Thanks!
Old 06-18-2012, 07:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
99 ML430, 01 CLK55, 07 R63, 15 E63 Wagon
I have the same issue on my R Class. These emblems are held on by two "feet" and are simply pushed into the top of the hood. My car's in for service right now and I asked them to remove it for me. When I pick it up later this week I'll ask them how they did it but they said they may use some sort of plastic tool so it won't damage the paint.
Old 06-23-2012, 04:06 AM

clk 63 black series
Just lay down 2 strips of masking tape (double layer) right to the edge of the hood emblem - tnen hold a razor blade flat on the tape & you'll be able to slide it under the edge of the enblem which will easily lift off. I've done this several times for waxing w/o any problems.
Old 07-02-2012, 04:25 PM

Thank you to everyone who replied and sent me PM's about this issue. After trying the different prying with razor blades or plastic removal tools methods they were all unsuccessful and I was always worried about damaging the paint finish. I finally came up with my own solution that has worked for me in the past when I've changed wheel center caps without having to remove the wheels. Since the existing badge was damaged (its chrome finish flaking off hence the reason for the replacement) I drilled a tiny hole in the center of it with a 1/16 inch drill bit and used one of my invaluable scribes from the set Griot's Garage sells and simply inserted the scribe and popped it off. The whole thing took less than 15 seconds and it was amazing how very little pressure it took to remove the badge once I was able to get the tool inserted (I thought I'd really have to work to pry it off). I light compounded and waxed the area and pushed the new badge on. I did not have to replace the grommets as they were in fine condition. I hope this simple procedure helps anyone looking to perform the same replacement on their car. I've attached some pics showing the tools, new badge, old badge and hood sans badge. My car will be in the Mercedes corral at Concorso Italiano in August - just trying to make it perfect!
Attached Thumbnails How to remove BS hood emblem?-dscf8508.jpg   How to remove BS hood emblem?-dscf8505.jpg   How to remove BS hood emblem?-dscf8504.jpg   How to remove BS hood emblem?-dscf8514.jpg  
Old 07-02-2012, 04:29 PM

CLK63 Black Series
Or you could have just used dental floss under the emblem to remove it from the adhesive.
Old 07-04-2012, 09:24 PM

I tried the dental floss method (as mentioned in my first post) which I was unsuccessful at. Also, there is no adhesive on the emblem, just 2 male pins designed to pressure fit into the nylon grommets in the hood. The car and emblem has so much wax applied to their surfaces plus I tried 3 completely different brands of dental flosses (I was dedicated to my cause and this recommended method!) - of course floss is waxed as well. Each time I tried the floss, no matter how hard I pulled, it would just slide up an over the side of the emblem. While this "flossing" may be a method successfully used by others in the past, it was apparent my emblem was pushed so hard into the hood that nothing was getting between it and the hood, absolutely no gap whatsoever. My method described was just as quick and easy as dental floss but I guess either would be worth a try to those who might become just as frustrated as I was.

Last edited by loudv12; 07-04-2012 at 09:35 PM.
Old 07-20-2012, 06:28 PM

E190
Try the razor blade method then, it works, promise!