CLK63 Black Series Forum & Registry Information and discussion on the W209 CLK63 AMG Black Series and Registry for all owners.

Pirelli World Challenge CLK Black Series

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-23-2013, 09:09 PM

Received 27 Likes on 11 Posts
AMG GT C Roadster
Pirelli World Challenge CLK Black Series

So WTF happened to the Evosport/MBBS Racing entry in the Pirelli WC?

St Pete is this weekend and the CLKBS racecar is not on the entry list. At least we've got two MBs for Green Hornet Racing with SLS GT3s.
Old 04-03-2013, 10:50 AM

AMG GT C Roadster
No news here? Wasn't someone on this forum plugged into what Evosport and MBBS were doing with this racecar - perhaps Jim Brady?

FYI, the St Pete race will air on NBC Sports, Sunday, April 7th. Otherwise you can stream it at http://www.world-challenge.com/
Old 04-03-2013, 11:48 AM
Out Of Control!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Would like to know as well. Maybe they ran into problems and couldn't attend?
Old 04-05-2013, 08:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
2008 BS
My understanding is management derailed and poof, no more team.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ecampbell
My understanding is management derailed and poof, no more team.
Well, someone has a pretty nice car on their hands

G
Old 04-09-2013, 12:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 86 Likes on 58 Posts
'22 G 63 AMG, '21 GLE 53 AMG, '20 NSX
MBBS racing effort is separate entity from Evosport Engineering as it has to be to make economic sense. World Challenge is not a cheap date and I doubt most would be able to guess what it takes to run a race team. Now that Audi, Cadillac, Volvo have seven figure cars, it's a whole new ball game. I've come to a new appreciation on how difficult it is to built a car, engineer it and race it against a factory effort.

A new SLS race car cost $475k and you get a few spares and they don't finance it. Add a race engineer, crew, oh and you need a transporter and support staff. It's $50k a race minimum! If you want a driver add that into the mix as a gun for hire is $7500-10k per race and that's not Johnny O'Connell. Testing is a major part of any racing program and those test days are about $10k @ day for a single car privateer entry. The more testing the better you're going to do.
FWIW, the Cadillac's make over 700hp unrestricted and have 20 ecu programs they're the best funded fortunately the rules committee has dialed back their advantage to make it a race. The SLS's are woefully short on power compared to the Volvo and Caddy's. It seems that the Audi's got a shot in the arm over the winter. Since AMG no longer makes CLK's there is no factory support available but if you want an SLS step right up just know that that only the tip of the iceberg. I believe WC has the best format for road racing with cars that enthusiasts want to see but behind the scene the factory's play hardball.
Jimmy
PS don't even mention how you can run a Porsche for only X dollars. Nobody want to watch a Porsche parade, if you do just tune in to ALMS/Grand, AM.
Old 04-15-2013, 04:34 PM

AMG GT C Roadster
Understand it isn't cheap to go racing. You know how to make a small fortune in sportscar racing? Start with a large one.

Jim, your comments are all well and good, but I am pretty sure they knew the costs going into it, right? They paid to develop, build the car & outfit it. They hired Craig Stanton, a very seasoned driver.

So one race in 2012 and they decided they couldn't be competitive? Did something else change for the 2013 season?
Old 04-15-2013, 05:09 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
a C32 AMG & S-Works Tarmac
For starters, has anyone else been able to visit the evosport.com site recently?

I've been hearing rumors, for a well placed source, that they are done, lock-stock-and-barrel.
Old 04-15-2013, 05:13 PM
Out Of Control!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Evosport website

Funny you mentioned that. I've been trying to get on their website for a few days now with zero luck. Think they're probably upgrading maybe or adding more stuff but it's been a few days now and still no site to be found.

However i did call and got the phone menu but i'm thinking that's as far as it goes? Guess the economy took over?

Are they still a vendor of this site?
Old 04-19-2013, 12:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts
2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series
Originally Posted by JamE55
Funny you mentioned that. I've been trying to get on their website for a few days now with zero luck. Think they're probably upgrading maybe or adding more stuff but it's been a few days now and still no site to be found.

However i did call and got the phone menu but i'm thinking that's as far as it goes? Guess the economy took over?

Are they still a vendor of this site?
Pretty sure they are done, a couple of their "investors" pulled out. I have talked to a few people that were still involved with them up until late last year as vendors and they said they are done. It's a shame they were a great company at one point.
Old 04-19-2013, 07:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK63 Black Series
Maybe it's just me but it would seem that their website is gone ? Google search for it and it looks like it's totally vanished. Strange.
Old 04-19-2013, 07:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts
2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series
Originally Posted by PaulWdz
Maybe it's just me but it would seem that their website is gone ? Google search for it and it looks like it's totally vanished. Strange.
It is still there, just does not come up as number one under a google query, you have to go back several pages to find it. Takes you to a white page with evosport logo. Does not say under construction, just a white page with their logo. Pretty sad when you can not afford to pay to keep your site at the top of a google search...or at least on the first page lol.

Stick a fork in em'

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...fPtq1jO2iS7rnA