CLK63 Black Series Forum & Registry Information and discussion on the W209 CLK63 AMG Black Series and Registry for all owners.

CLK63 Black Series Drive

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-25-2013, 08:23 PM

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
2006 C55, 2008 CLK63 Black
CLK63 Black Series Drive

I have a 2006 C55 that I have enjoyed tremendously. I currently got close to 110,000 miles on it and looking to sell it to get a new or used car. I went to CarMax last night and they appraised the car for $10,000. Currently, I am cross shopping the following cars:

2008 CLK63 Black Series
2008-2014 Mercedes C63
2008-2010 BMW M5 (E60)
2008-2013 BMW M3 (E92)
2012-2014 BMW M5 (F10)

I understand that the 2011-2013 M3s have the optional E92 Competition Package, 2010-2014 C63s have the optional P31 Development package, and 2012-2014 C63s have the MCT transmission. Now the CLK63 Black Series, which I would not have even considered a couple years ago, is at around this price-point (max $75K).

Here's a quick highlight of my opinions of the cars I have driven:

2010 C63: The engine, the torque, the exhaust note! Wow! I could hear it all day! I threw it around the curves and the tail was very easily coming out even with the traction control on! The fun factor is extremely high!

2009 BMW M5: Took it for a short test drive. Dealer would not let me take it on the highway or get too crazy. The car handles well for its size and the V10 scream helps heighten the overall experience. Based on what I've read, this car MUST have a warranty of some kind due to its notorious transmission issues.

2011 BMW M3: Extremely balanced. Car is very enjoyable once it gets wired up into the higher rpm range; coming from a C55 with the sprintbooster (aggressive version) and ECU tune, I don't feel the torque is quite adequate for my type of day to day driving.

Low mileage (less than 40K miles) versions of these above vehicles typically fall within the price range of $50,000-$60,000.

2013 BMW M5: Have not taken for a test drive. See link below:

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...gIndex=1&Log=0

Based on what I've read, the car improves for the most part upon the previous generation E60 M5's. Putting an aftermarket exhaust seems to be a must though! Also, since the E60 M5's have depreciated to this price point, essentially for the same price as a E92 M3, logic tells me to wait until the F10 M5's follow suit in a couple years. I thought I'd throw this in the equation since it falls within the max price range I have set.

2008 CLK63 Black Series: Have not taken for a test drive. When I purchased my used 2006 C55 in August 2008, I remember staring in awe of this car, as it sat low and pronounced inside the dealership. I didn't understand what the badge Black Series meant, and why it looked like the unusual offspring that it was. The only thing I knew looking at the $135,000 price tag, as if the appearance itself wasn't a pure give away, was the understanding that this was no normal Benz. When I saw Clarkson's review of the Black, it really struck a nerve, because the only thing I like to do after I get off work is just drive, for the simple joy of driving. The price has dropped over the years, from $135K to $115K, $100K, $85K, and now, $60K-70K. If it were to go any lower in the next couple years, I don't think they'll be any left in the market, or if so, its mileage may be in the 60K range. Also, I believe as others have mentioned, that this will become a collectors car, and likely increase in resale value. Hence, why I think it's an excellent time for consideration. I plan to purchase a basic secondary vehicle that has back seats in a couple months as well, which is why the Black is also a viable candidate.

I know comparing this car to a M5 is probably not sensible. No back seats, not the technology gizmos like the M5, or its lack of an extreme dual nature. I did not include the Porsche 911 Turbo in these discussions as the cost of ownership (maintenance costs, possible out of warranty issues, etc.) makes me want to wait a couple more years. The C55 has been bulletproof regarding engine and transmission issues; the CLK63 Black is similar based on what I've read.

The big issue I am facing is trying to find a Black to test drive. The same with the F10 BMW M5. I'm looking at the two CLK63 Blacks below as possible options (see links below):

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...Index=13&Log=0

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...gIndex=8&Log=0

Taking all these cars out for 10-15 minute test drives do not really provide much information on their day to day ownership experience. Any recommendations or points to consider based on your experience with any of these cars? Also, before considering flying/driving to Louisiana or New Jersey to test drive the Black or flying/driving down to Florida to test drive the F10 M5, I was wondering if there are any current Virginia owners that I could meet up with to take these cars for a test drive? For the Black, my main concern is whether the rough nature of the suspension is that much different than the C55 I currently have with the Bridgestone RE-11s. Everything else, for the most part, has already been said about these cars and their epic nature.

Thanks!

Neel
Old 08-26-2013, 04:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts
C63 BS, GLA45
I've said this many times, take the CLK BS out for a drive, and within 2 turns your mind will be made up. Since you've driven a C63, here's a back to back comparison of the 2 cars. I let a forum member rip around in both cars for a contest:

http://www.beyond.ca/the-black-not-a...ucks/5837.html
Old 08-26-2013, 12:53 PM
SMP
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
CLK63 Black Series
I can give you some first hand experience on all those cars you're comparing, except E92 M3. I still own the CLK, had an E63 M6 that I replaced with an F10 M5. All the cars were bought new ... if something went wrong, it was covered under warranty.

The handling and engine characteristics are completely different.

CLK: Best looking, best handling, best braking and most involving car to drive compared to the others. Best turn in of any car I've ever owned ... but tail happy. Traction issues even with the LSD. Stiff ride. Coil overs allow for customizing ride height, compression and rebound settings. Torque right above idle, great midrange, thin up top. Great sound coming from those 4 tail pipes. Thirsty engine. Small tank. Had not one problem with it in 6 years of ownership.

M6: Great V10 engine with an unmistakeable soundtrack ... especially when enhanced by an Eisenmann exhaust. No torque, ok midrange but monster top end. Really comes alive above 5000 rpm ... but than pulls big time all the way to 8200 rpm. SMG is much better than the CLK's 7G auto ... very responsive and quick gear changes. Shift programs range from "tame" to "the differential is coming apart". Has extremely long legs ... rolling into the throttle in 5th at 120 was my favorite thing. Extremely thirsty engine, both for fuel and Castrol RS ... $17 a quart. Small tank as well. Ride can be adjusted on the fly ... comfortable to very stiff. Opposite to the CLK ... M6 understeers, very planted rear end.
In the 3 years of ownership, no problems except the stereo amplifier had to be replaced under warranty.

F10 M5: The heaviest car of the bunch. Great twin turbo V8 that hangs on the throttle like a naturally aspirated engine. No lag whatsoever. Flat torque curve from 1500 to 5500 ... above that, pulls big time up top. Best transmission. DCT has no torque interruption between shifts. Extremely efficient, responsive and quick gear changes. Not as many shift programs as the M6, but also range from soft to aggressive. Considering it's weight, very balanced handling. Suspension can also be adjusted on the fly. For a 560hp engine, fuel consumption is the best I had in a long time. Has the biggest tank, which really improves range.

All of them are great cars ... but very different at the core.
Old 08-26-2013, 09:42 PM

Yeah, my next step is to go and drive one soon! I'll probably go down to NJ next month so will put a plan together to go for a drive. Thanks for the input!
Old 08-26-2013, 10:45 PM

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts
12' E559
was in buddys clk BS this weekend for a show in NJ. keep in mind driving 5 hours straight.. and his has the euro bucket seats plus few other mods. but i can say even sitting in buckets its comfy although stock BS seats i think are the best for comfort and holdability. the car is FLAT in corners. sitting shotgun, even i was having fun. Small tank indeed, did not know its under 20 gal....don't forget no back seats lol. I would pick the CLK just because of what it is, its rare, as you mentioned a collectors car in some fashions, much more "track ready" than any other.
Old 10-26-2013, 05:47 PM

I am almost close to finishing a deal on a gorgeous CLK63 Black Series. I should be able to purchase the vehicle for $65K. It has close to 27,000 miles. The only modifications to the vehicle are to the exterior (wheels and brakes). Drove the car and holy smokes, what an experience! The exterior/interior is in mint condition and exactly how I would have modded the car. Plan to get a PPI done next week before I move forward with the purchase. Can't wait!
Old 10-27-2013, 09:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts
Current: C217 V12TT AMG Previously: C55 AMG, SL65 AMG
congrats, wish i was in the same boat
Old 10-29-2013, 08:34 AM

Received 114 Likes on 86 Posts
'12 C63BS "SlickTop", '08 CLK63BS, '16 E63S wagon, '12 CLS63, amongst other non-Merc toys
congrats and welcome to the fam, post up some pics when you pick it up!
Old 10-29-2013, 05:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 CLK63 AMG Black Series, 2022 BMW X3 M40i
Originally Posted by rage2
I've said this many times, take the CLK BS out for a drive, and within 2 turns your mind will be made up. Since you've driven a C63, here's a back to back comparison of the 2 cars. I let a forum member rip around in both cars for a contest:

http://www.beyond.ca/the-black-not-a...ucks/5837.html
This is an absolute true statement. I was fortunate to find a pristine low mileage CLK63 a few months ago and after taking it for a test drive, I knew I had to own one. I had admired the car for years and now that I get to drive one daily, I couldn't be happier

Originally Posted by souljas_1
I am almost close to finishing a deal on a gorgeous CLK63 Black Series. I should be able to purchase the vehicle for $65K. It has close to 27,000 miles. The only modifications to the vehicle are to the exterior (wheels and brakes). Drove the car and holy smokes, what an experience! The exterior/interior is in mint condition and exactly how I would have modded the car. Plan to get a PPI done next week before I move forward with the purchase. Can't wait!
Best of luck with your purchase. I was in the same boat as you. Switched from a C55 to a CLK63 since current prices are within my car purchase range. This is definitely a special car. You're gonna love it.
Old 10-29-2013, 07:12 PM

Thanks Guys! I was planning to pick it up this week after the PPI inspection if everything is o.k. I just received the proposal from the dealer. I have attached it because I think the Tax is very inflated. The car is in Charlotte, NC, and I am in Virginia. Not sure if that makes a difference or if I'm being exploited. Any thoughts? Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails CLK63 Black Series Drive-taxcost.jpg  
Old 10-29-2013, 07:29 PM

Thanks Guys! I was planning to pick it up this week after the PPI inspection if everything is o.k. I just received the proposal from the dealer. I have attached it because I think the Tax is very inflated. The car is in Charlotte, NC, and I am in Virginia. Not sure if that makes a difference or if I'm being exploited. Any thoughts? Thanks!
Looks about right. They are charging you 7% tax based on where you live. I had to pay 8% tax for CA DMV fees. I also had to get a smog check done since it's a California state requirement for used car purchases.

Paying taxes on the car was my least favorite part. Sucks that we have to pay taxes on a used car, but it's all water under the bridge now.

Enjoy the new CLK63!
Old 10-29-2013, 07:31 PM

Cool, good to know. Yes, my dream is finally becoming a reality!!!

Last edited by souljas_1; 10-29-2013 at 07:35 PM. Reason: Previous email answered question.
Old 10-30-2013, 06:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 CLK63 Black Series; 1978 Toyota Land Cruiser; 2015 BMW R1200GSA; 2003 Porsche 996 Turbo (gone)
Do your research...you paying full NC sales tax does not sound right. Current VA sales tax is 5%. For purchases out of state (I'm a VA resident and bought my last 4 cars out of state...OH, FL, AR, NY), I've never experienced a state charging sales tax at their resident rate...NC is 7%. In my experience, the state either waives the tax, or charges tax at the purchaser's state rate (in your case the VA 5% rate) and then provides you a form showing you paid VA's 5% in NC, so you don't get hit for tax twice. Go to the VA DMV and get the straight scoop. Bottom line, it's your money, so do your research and never take anything you read on a forum at face value. Sorry for being "preachy," just hate to see anyone get burned

Last edited by stewarjm1; 10-30-2013 at 07:01 AM.
Old 10-30-2013, 08:54 AM

10 Cayenne GTS, 07 Porsche 911 Turbo
^1 he's right, 5%.
Old 10-30-2013, 09:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
88-300CE TWIN TURBO, 99-C43, 05-G55K, 71-280SL, 94-E320 CAB, 08 CLK63 BLACK SERIES
Originally Posted by stewarjm1
Do your research...you paying full NC sales tax does not sound right. Current VA sales tax is 5%. For purchases out of state (I'm a VA resident and bought my last 4 cars out of state...OH, FL, AR, NY), I've never experienced a state charging sales tax at their resident rate...NC is 7%. In my experience, the state either waives the tax, or charges tax at the purchaser's state rate (in your case the VA 5% rate) and then provides you a form showing you paid VA's 5% in NC, so you don't get hit for tax twice. Go to the VA DMV and get the straight scoop. Bottom line, it's your money, so do your research and never take anything you read on a forum at face value. Sorry for being "preachy," just hate to see anyone get burned
Exactly correct....you pay the tax/registration/license fee in the state that you live, not in the state you purchase.

I purchased my CLK63BS in February of 2010 from Mercedes Benz of South Charlotte.
My residence is in Delaware so they collected the Delaware tax of 3.75%.
When I titled the car in Delaware this amount had been transferred to Delaware DMV.
Some dealers will not collect your state tax and you would be responsible for same upon registration in your state.

Ed A.
Old 10-30-2013, 02:24 PM

Good advice for the original poster. I didn't even think to ask if VA and NC had the same tax charges.
Old 10-30-2013, 06:37 PM

Thanks Guys for the advice. Yes, I went back and checked last night and for the Hampton Roads area I got 6% total sales tax (http://www.tax.virginia.gov/site.cfm...RetailSalesUse).

I just got back the PPI results; I've attached the relevant sections for reference. The car was stated by the service technician to be in overall excellent condition. The failed items will warrant a request from the dealer to fix. However, from an owner's perspective, how long before the cautionary items will start becoming an issue?

Thanks for your help!

So close!
Attached Thumbnails CLK63 Black Series Drive-page1ppi.jpg   CLK63 Black Series Drive-page2ppi.jpg   CLK63 Black Series Drive-page3ppi.jpg   CLK63 Black Series Drive-page4ppi.jpg  
Old 10-30-2013, 08:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 CLK63 Black Series; 1978 Toyota Land Cruiser; 2015 BMW R1200GSA; 2003 Porsche 996 Turbo (gone)
One Last Time...

Thanks Guys for the advice. Yes, I went back and checked last night and for the Hampton Roads area I got 6% total sales tax (http://www.tax.virginia.gov/site.cfm...RetailSalesUse).

I just got back the PPI results; I've attached the relevant sections for reference. The car was stated by the service technician to be in overall excellent condition. The failed items will warrant a request from the dealer to fix. However, from an owner's perspective, how long before the cautionary items will start becoming an issue?

Thanks for your help!

So close!
Not intending to start a debate, but vehicles in VA are taxed at a different rate than standard property. From VA Tax Code § 58.1-2402 for Vehicles. - "Three percent through midnight on June 30, 2013, four percent (4.0%) beginning July 1, 2013, through midnight on June 30, 2014, four and five-hundredths of a percent (4.05%) beginning July 1, 2014, through midnight on June 30, 2015, four and one tenth of a percent (4.1%) beginning July 1, 2015, through midnight on June 30, 2016, and four and fifteen-hundredths (4.15%) of a percent beginning on and after July 1, 2016, of the sale price of each motor vehicle, not sold in Virginia but used or stored for use in the Commonwealth;..." So bottom line...I was wrong, the rate is 4% vs 5%!!! Recommend you go by your DMV and verify and if I'm wrong, let me know and I'll have a big slice of humble pie! At the risk of beating a dead horse to death, last you'll hear from me, least on this subject.
Old 10-30-2013, 10:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts
2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series
Sales tax, what's sales tax? You guys need to get more creative or higer better accountants. You guysnshould not be paying big money on sales taxes. If any of you are business owners you need to start a corporation in Oregon, I paid $80 sales tax on my $286,000 SLS BS. I have purchased 11 vehichles totalling $1.5 million this year and paid about $1100 in sales taxes

In IL I would have spent about $110k in sales tax So while IL gets more and more in debt and greedier and greedier trying to balance their budget on my back, I do some research and spend a few bucks expanding my company into business friendly states. Two years ago when IL state income tax increased by over 50% I became a resident in TX, no state income tax in TX vs 6% in IL, since I already owned a condo their it was easy. I own seperate entities of my company in IL,TX, GA and OR. Getting real close to closing my IL division and moving it 40 miles south east into IN and save a few hundred thousand more a year. Companies are fleeing IL at an alarming rate for corporate/business friendly IN and WI. Instead of IL making consessions and making this a more business friendly state they just squeez us harder forcing more and more out.

......play smarter
Old 10-30-2013, 11:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

88-300CE TWIN TURBO, 99-C43, 05-G55K, 71-280SL, 94-E320 CAB, 08 CLK63 BLACK SERIES
Taxes are why I moved to Southern Delaware in 2003....
Business friendly and one of the lowest tax rates in the country.
First $100K of monthly business revenue within the state excluded for gross receipt tax and business revenue outside the state no gross receipt tax applies.
Real estate taxes are minimal ( $2700 all inclusive on a $2M home ), no state sales tax, low state income tax, and the ocean at my door
Business friendly Chancery Court is one of the main reasons that most large multi national corporations incorporate in Delaware.
Franchise tax that large corporations pay offset tax burden of residents...

Last edited by RBYCC; 10-30-2013 at 11:11 PM.
Old 10-31-2013, 05:25 AM

Any thoughts on the cautionary items and when they would possibly start becoming an issue based on normal driving conditions?
Old 10-31-2013, 07:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Any thoughts on the cautionary items and when they would possibly start becoming an issue based on normal driving conditions?

The cautioned items in your PPI appear to be normal maintenance items.
Tires are the "wild card" as the Corsa's even in normal driving tend to wear quickly.
The Black Series is still just a car, albeit a high performance build, and normal monitoring and maintenance should suffice.

Ed A.
Old 10-31-2013, 10:40 AM

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts
CLK63 BS
If you're buying from a MB dealership, those maintenance items should have been addressed, including the "B" service, even for a non-CPO car. Costs them practically nothing. It's a write-off for them.

Old 10-31-2013, 11:34 PM

Received 114 Likes on 86 Posts
'12 C63BS "SlickTop", '08 CLK63BS, '16 E63S wagon, '12 CLS63, amongst other non-Merc toys
CA resident here and lives in CA, car purchased from private party in CA; no tax, heh.
Old 11-14-2013, 08:01 AM

Update: I ended up not proceeding with the one in Charlotte. Just closed a deal on one in Houston, TX. Car has gone 5275 miles, mint condition, and PPI inspection came back fine. Car price was $65K. The owner was a car collector so the car has never been tracked. Not sure I like the carbon fiber front grille (may swap with the CLK grille I have on my C55) and front splitter. The car's springs were also set to the “low ride height level”. I am going to fly up there this Friday. Is there anything special I should look at when inspecting the vehicle? Thanks.

The car is below:

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...59386066&Log=0

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: CLK63 Black Series Drive