CLK63 Black Series Forum & Registry Information and discussion on the W209 CLK63 AMG Black Series and Registry for all owners.

Looking to join the BS club.. some very stupid newbie questions :)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 06:53 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
C63BS
Looking to join the BS club.. some very stupid newbie questions :)

Hi All,

A little about me, Im a diehard BMW driver, mainly because of the great steering feel, feedback and dynamics. Was lucky enough to test out a BS car, and wow, the car knocked my socks off. Not only does it keep up with the BMW, but to *me* was superior to some of the cars i've owned and cherished.

I had some questions, as there were a few things I havent been able to test yet with the car.

#1) Is there any good/universally accepted way to get bluetooth integration for phone calls, but ALSO music streaming (A2DP, etc..)
#2) As a daily driver, the car seemed perfectly acceptable to me, wasn't overly harsh by my butt-meter and seats were comfortable. But are there anythings I should consider (or reconsider) about this car as a DD in your experiences?
#3) Are there any general/common mechanical failure points that I should address ahead of time before I am stranded on the highway during a long commute?
#4) Did't have a chance to really wring out the car on public roads, but will the rear end of this car break away very easily? To me the car felt planted like granite, but I was driving quite slowly and wondering if this car will be a bit of a handful

I know these questions are a bit out of left field for a BS cars, but the dynamics of the car are already a foregone conclusion on my part, so now I want to hammer out some of the nitty gritty details that aren't aparent on a short test drive

Thank you!!
Old 01-20-2014, 10:32 PM

Received 70 Likes on 42 Posts
AMG GTS, Ford Raptor and Tesla Model 3 dual motor
#1) Is there any good/universally accepted way to get bluetooth integration for phone calls, but ALSO music streaming (A2DP, etc..) Look into the mobridge bluetooth
#2) As a daily driver, the car seemed perfectly acceptable to me, wasn't overly harsh by my butt-meter and seats were comfortable. But are there anythings I should consider (or reconsider) about this car as a DD in your experiences? No just drive it
#3) Are there any general/common mechanical failure points that I should address ahead of time before I am stranded on the highway during a long commute? generally bullet proof
#4) Did't have a chance to really wring out the car on public roads, but will the rear end of this car break away very easily? To me the car felt planted like granite, but I was driving quite slowly and wondering if this car will be a bit of a handful The tail will step out easily...or replace the wheels and tires to bridgestone RE-11's and the tail will not step out hardly at all.

ENJOY IT
Old 01-21-2014, 12:27 AM

Received 114 Likes on 86 Posts
'12 C63BS "SlickTop", '08 CLK63BS, '16 E63S wagon, '12 CLS63, amongst other non-Merc toys
^+1 to what he said!
Old 01-21-2014, 07:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 CLK63 Black Series; 1978 Toyota Land Cruiser; 2015 BMW R1200GSA; 2003 Porsche 996 Turbo (gone)
Originally Posted by 1JDM911
^+1 to what he said!
+1 with one exception. If you turn the traction control off, don't care what rubber you're running, the tail will kick out...speaking from personal experience
Old 01-21-2014, 12:29 PM

C63BS
Thanks everyone! Excited to step into the world of AMG BS.

Besides a switch to RE-11s, anything else I can do to lock down the rear end? I'm thinking a 100% LSD would be in order. Anything else?

Thank you!!
Old 01-21-2014, 03:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLK 63 AMG Black
Our cars have pronounced "turn-in" oversteer. On the street, not a problem at all. At the track, you need to turn off traction control, or your brakes will get used up, and you"ll always have the traction control limiting performance. So, this is a feature (or trait) requiring that you learn to adapt.
I have a couple of race cars with locking diff's, and it should be pointed out that a locked diff causes pronounced understeer (makes sense if you recognize the inside tire is forced to turn at the same rate as the outside tire), and consequently requires you to have the tail slide, or you will trundle around at parking lot speeds. The BS accommodates this need well, but I don't see going from our dif (which I understand does lock) to another will help at all. I'm fully willing to be wrong, so if you think i am, just educate me.
I have readjusted my shocks to "soft", which I feel does help the ride and rear grip.
The only "flaw" in my car (now at 50,000+ miles) is that the seat belt occasionally doesn't fully retract when I exit the car, and I've broken the little plastic thingamajig that keeps the end of the belt in the right place by slamming it in the door. Yes, replaced under warranty.
I had the factory bluetooth installed. Works great but doesn't meet all your requirements.
So, I'd take advantage of the steep depreciation, and get a car so unique that its equal will not be seen. AS
Old 01-21-2014, 07:49 PM

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts
New, old Mercedes and REAL AMG's.
Great questions (lurking around until the time comes to get my very own CLKBS). Awesome input.
Old 01-21-2014, 10:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts
C63 BS, GLA45
The car isn't the easiest car to drive at the limit with ESP off. With that being said, taming the rear end really destroys the soul of the car. The CLK BS is what it is because of how well it rotates, and how it can get you into trouble pretty quickly if you don't respect her.
Old 01-24-2014, 07:21 PM

Received 27 Likes on 11 Posts
AMG GT C Roadster
Regarding #2, I switched my CLK BS to a daily driver about 8 months ago and it has been amazing.

The only problems you will likely have with this car is:

a) People drooling over it (or thinking it is a bodykit)
b) Ricers wanting to race
c) Lack of open spaces to put the hammer down
d) Making time for track days where this beast will feel right at home
e) Traction!

Get one.
Old 01-24-2014, 11:52 PM

C63BS
Ok, i'm 99% of the way to getting this car, had one more REALLY stupid question for the BS owners out there

Can the seats be adjusted up and down, ie. raised and lowered?

When test driving the car I could go forward back with the slider and then I could adjust the seatback angle with the typical mercedes seat adjuster switches, but couldn't get the seat to elevate. I gave up because I just wanted to drive, but does the seat have that type of adjustablility?

Thanks!!
Old 01-25-2014, 11:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML63 AMG
The CLK BS seats are adjusted forward and back with the bar under the front of the seat, lifted up and rocked forward with the horizontal electric tab, reclined with the vertical electric tab, and the thigh area is raised with the manual knob at the front side of the seat.

BTW, I am ready to sell my CLK Black. I love it, but I own 10 cars and need to free up some capital for a real estate investment. I just completed the B Merc service, and bought 4 new Pirellis. I am the second owner and the car is in fantastic shape with 27K miles.

Here is a link to the dealer that is consigning it for me.

Good luck, you will not be disappointed with the Black!

http://www.planetautoimports.com/web...olina/8815821/

Here is a pic from today. I powder coated the chrome wheels and the calipers btw.
Attached Thumbnails Looking to join the BS club.. some very stupid newbie questions :)-clkblack.jpg  
Old 01-25-2014, 09:16 PM

Received 114 Likes on 86 Posts
'12 C63BS "SlickTop", '08 CLK63BS, '16 E63S wagon, '12 CLS63, amongst other non-Merc toys
Originally Posted by R8forCLK63BS

Here is a link to the dealer that is consigning it for me.

Good luck, you will not be disappointed with the Black!

http://www.planetautoimports.com/web...olina/8815821/
That Suzuki dealership had an Arctic white about a year ago, by the time I reached them it was already too late, I was just wondering who owns the black one they're selling now.