CLK63 Black Series Forum & Registry Information and discussion on the W209 CLK63 AMG Black Series and Registry for all owners.

Transplant CLA45 seats into the BS ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-01-2014, 02:45 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
C63BS
Transplant CLA45 seats into the BS ?

Does anyone think the new AMG seats from the CLA45 could be transplanted into the BS? I know obviously noone has done it, but was thinking of trying. I dont even know where to begin in terms of approaching a shop to attempt this. Who do you think would be best suited to try it in the LA area? Reason I'm thinking/attempting this is that the stock seats seem to be giving me really bad back pain.. go figure
Old 02-02-2014, 02:45 PM

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts
New, old Mercedes and REAL AMG's.
Originally Posted by darkus
Does anyone think the new AMG seats from the CLA45 could be transplanted into the BS? I know obviously noone has done it, but was thinking of trying. I dont even know where to begin in terms of approaching a shop to attempt this. Who do you think would be best suited to try it in the LA area? Reason I'm thinking/attempting this is that the stock seats seem to be giving me really bad back pain.. go figure
RIGHT...THAT and the fact that CLA45 seats are some of the most beautiful I've seen
Old 02-02-2014, 10:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLK 63 AMG Black
Darkus,
As a doctor, and someone who has suffered from back pain, I'd like to share an thought and and observation. First, the thought. The BS seats are not a problem for me, and I think they are excellent.
Now the observation. A lot of people I know who've attributed back pain to their car seats are partially right. it is the seat that's the problem, but not so much the design as the adjustment. Tilting the seat back too far back causes an unnatural curvature, and sitting too far away exacerbates that. I'd suggest you try keeping the seat back very upright, and sitting close enough to the wheel that you can rest your wrists on top of the wheel, when you are sitting back, and adjusting the bottom cushion with no rear tilt (the front tipped all the way forward). This may feel "too upright" and "too close", but if you look at in-car videos of nascar drivers, you'll not that this is how they sit. I hope that helps. If you say that is what you do already, the ignore everything I have written. AS
Old 02-03-2014, 01:06 AM

C63BS
Originally Posted by alexander stemer
Darkus,
As a doctor, and someone who has suffered from back pain, I'd like to share an thought and and observation. First, the thought. The BS seats are not a problem for me, and I think they are excellent.
Now the observation. A lot of people I know who've attributed back pain to their car seats are partially right. it is the seat that's the problem, but not so much the design as the adjustment. Tilting the seat back too far back causes an unnatural curvature, and sitting too far away exacerbates that. I'd suggest you try keeping the seat back very upright, and sitting close enough to the wheel that you can rest your wrists on top of the wheel, when you are sitting back, and adjusting the bottom cushion with no rear tilt (the front tipped all the way forward). This may feel "too upright" and "too close", but if you look at in-car videos of nascar drivers, you'll not that this is how they sit. I hope that helps. If you say that is what you do already, the ignore everything I have written. AS
Alex,

Thank you very much for the advice. I do appreciate it!

Actually for me, the back pain has been very strange, as I've never experienced this in any car i've ever owned. So I went to my BMW and really examined how my seat is positioned. For my body, the only conclusion I can come to is that the bolsters on the shoulders are pressing my shoulders inward so I'm constantly shrugging at all times. I dont think I have shoulders anymore broad then the next person, but for some reason, my body must not like this. On any of my other cars, the side bolsters only come up to half way up my back, but on this car, the bolsters push my entire shoulder forward. Thats the only conclusion I can come to. My distance to steering wheel etc as you mentioned are actually quite similar between my cars.

Im off to visit some shops tommorow to try to take a seat in aftermarket recaro seats and see how they fit my back, there is of course no predicting how they will be to live with, but to be honest, this is a whole new problem to me in all my experience with cars. I will miss having the adjustability of factory seats, but I cannot think of any other solution unfortunatly... Certainly a problem to take me by surprise!

But the car is otherwise too good to not find some kind of solution
Old 02-03-2014, 01:59 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CLK63 AMG Black Series
Maybe try some Recaro or Bride aftermarket seats. I believe Weistec makes some seat brackets to fit in the CLK63BS. Just a thought...
Old 02-14-2014, 01:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
CLK Cabrio
Hey you should talk with Ash (VIPclk320), We is over at the W208 page. However, he has one of the most modded cars out there. Started with a 320 and swapped a 55 and has done a full interior swap as well. This guy really knows his stuff.
Also if you go through with this, would you be interested in selling your seats?

Thanks and good luck.
Old 02-14-2014, 01:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
99 ML430, 01 CLK55, 07 R63, 15 E63 Wagon
You may want to consider the European one piece CLK63 BS seats: https://mbworld.org/forums/clk63-bla...ean-seats.html

Although I don't know if those are available, there's other places you can source them in the US.
Old 02-15-2014, 02:32 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Clk 200k cabrio w209, Jeep Crand Cherokee 3.0 CRD, Smart For two
Darkus,
I don't Know if the CLA45 seats will fit in your CLK but the front seats from W207 are just plug and play. The only thinks that you have to do is to plug 12V because they are semi-electric and to plug a seat occupancy module on the passenger seat in order the airbag to go off. If you can find also seat with orthopedic adjustments it will be great. I have done the retrofit to my W209 and I am very pleased. If in your area you can find used W207 seats you can make a test fit and drive before you buy them. It is only 15min to make the swap. Just four bolts and 3-4 connectors. If your want the ortopedic one you have to retrofit also the air pump from W209, the wiring harness and the air lines. I have try the seat with orthopedic adjustments in a friends W207 and they are super. You can make the seat to fit as a glove to your back. Also the back of the seat is a plastic removable cover which you can easy wrap with real carbon in order to match with the rest interior.
https://mbworld.org/forums/clk-class...ofit-w209.html

Last edited by gogos; 02-15-2014 at 06:52 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-15-2014, 04:42 AM

Received 109 Likes on 81 Posts
'12 C63BS "SlickTop", '08 CLK63BS, '16 E63S wagon, '12 CLS63, amongst other non-Merc toys
Originally Posted by xxGenericSNxx
You may want to consider the European one piece CLK63 BS seats: https://mbworld.org/forums/clk63-bla...ean-seats.html

Although I don't know if those are available, there's other places you can source them in the US.

i got my eyes set for those... if still available. :P
Old 02-15-2014, 04:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Vath ML63 Brabus C63 SL63 CLK63BS C63BS
Originally Posted by xxGenericSNxx

I made this switch. In Aust the re aeros are stAndard but not great for me for long drives so I bought a set of the European seats secondhand off Earl. They work very well and look great
Old 03-01-2014, 10:55 AM

C63BS
Originally Posted by Maverick1975
I made this switch. In Aust the re aeros are stAndard but not great for me for long drives so I bought a set of the European seats secondhand off Earl. They work very well and look great

Hey, are you saying the european buckets are actually more comfortable?

If so this would be great news for my sore stiff and locked up back

Thanks!
Old 03-01-2014, 12:12 PM

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts
CLK63 BS
Originally Posted by darkus
Hey, are you saying the european buckets are actually more comfortable?

If so this would be great news for my sore stiff and locked up back

Thanks!
I understood Maverick to say that he swapped out the one piece Recaro seats and put in normal bucket seats. In the U.S., we understand the "european clk black series seats" to mean the Recaro Pole Position race shells with cloth covers. May need to confirm that.

Agree that the CLA seats certainly look a lot better than the US bucket seats on the CLK BS, but in retrofitting there may be an issue w/the seat belt assist device on the CLK BS. I don't think the CLA's employ that device and as such the seats may be wider at the top. You may have to disable and manually reach back to grab the belt. Which, ironically, may aggravate whatever back condition you already suffer.
Old 03-01-2014, 08:42 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CLK63 AMG Black Series
That's a good point about additional aggravation. Should measure the top portion of the CLA seats to ensure the seat belt assist isn't an issue.
Old 03-04-2014, 10:36 AM

C63BS
Thanks everyone, i've actually abandoned this idea to retrofit the CLA seats as the seats are controlled by a panel in the door on their car. So I figure once the seats were in the car, I would have no way to actually control them

I'm now looking to fit seats from a model that had the same level of control as our stock seats. Ie. manual forward and back and the rest of the controls hard mounted onto the seat itself.

That has left me trolling european eBay sites It seems all US bound cars have the seat controls mounted to the door/etc...

But this is what you do you when you love a car
Old 03-04-2014, 04:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
2016 C63 S