CLK63 Black Series Forum & Registry Information and discussion on the W209 CLK63 AMG Black Series and Registry for all owners.

CLK63 AMG as a daily driver?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-30-2014, 11:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts
2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series
Originally Posted by SMP
Regardless whether someone thinks it is "not the right thing to do", in my opinion, it is up to each individuals choice what to do with their property that they paid for with their own money ... besides, AS didn't ask for anyones opinion, but rather made a statement what he is about to do. His car, his choice ... at least that's the way I see it

I guess I am one of those that buys cars to use them as intended ... fun transportation. My F10 M5's journey (pics) from the BMW Welt throughout Germany, Austria and Italy in all weather and road conditions ... with the most aggressive settings programmed into one of the M buttons on the steering wheel: TC off, throttle, transmission and steering in sport+ ... making sure that SMP's "talent" doesn't get rusty ... instead of giving him the false sense of what a great driver he is with the electronic nannies turned on

Delivery at the Welt

Over an 8200 ft mountain pass ... poor brand new M5 ... dreadful snow in June ... but on the upside, no speed limit sign

There was abuse though ... first, those poor Michelin PSS got a workout trying to hook up in cold conditions, and me constantly correcting what 502 lb ft of torque and 560 hp would like to do without the "nannies" turned on ... and of course my wife strapped in next to me. What a gal, still took some pics!

I didn't think you California guys could drive in the white stuff lol. Just kidding I know you're from somewhere in Europe. A couple of the Weistec guys came out to Chicago last January and we had a helluva big snowfall, they were amazed at "how fast people drive in snow and ice".

As far as if driving in the snow is abuse, no different than driving in rain and road grime or leaving a car parked a mile from the ocean in Newport Beach. I guess if you drive it in snow ice and salt all winter without washing it you will have some corrosion issues but if you wash the car once a week it will be fine. The bigger issue than rust is ground clearance, I could snowplow a driveway with the spiltter on my C BS. I would just assume most people with the means to afford a BS and who live in a snowy climate would pony up some cash for an SUV or Jeep or at least something with AWD but to each his own.
Old 12-30-2014, 10:22 PM
1AS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK 63 BS
Well, those are interesting reactions. The fact is that I'm not really concerned about the next owner. I'm the guy who paid full sticker, bought the extra set of factory rims, maintained the car to the letter of the schedule, never crashed it into anything, never did drag starts, or sustained top speed runs.

I bought it to enjoy it, and you can't enjoy it if you don't drive it. Yes, I've tracked it, but I don't run against the rev limiter, and I try to be as smooth as possible. I have a bunch of cars (including 4 vintage racers), and I've never sustained any damage from the type of driving I do. That might be because I know I'm the guy who would be paying to fix said damage. I drove another 100 miles today, and enjoyed each one.

I've driven lots of cars to 150K (yes, I'm old), and have people asking to buy my cars when I'm ready to sell.
Note to other owners: I have seen no rust on the Benz. Nor did I have any problems with 2 previous E class cars, or my 850 CSI, all of which went thru all the same winters. Wish I could say that about my beloved 2002 996tt X50, which is now getting about every fitting on the engine changed. While a next buyer would be delighted to get it, that won't happen, as it will be a gift to my son.

When it comes time to sell the BS, the buyer will know the true answer to every question he asks, and will probably be thrilled with the great deal he gets. I have never had a single complaint on any car I've sold, other than the Pinto I traded on a 442 at the local Olds dealer, about 40 years ago. The dealer called 2 weeks later to ask if I had the stock rims (I didn't).

If you are willing to race a Can Am Lola in the rain (I have), then driving a BS in the snow is no big deal. And, if you're looking for a used BS to acquire, and don't want a car driven in snow, don't look for one in Indiana ( I may have he only one). AS
Old 12-30-2014, 11:05 PM

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts
CLK63 BS
+1. Not beating on mine but certainly not saving it for the next guy/gal.

Originally Posted by 1AS
Well, those are interesting reactions. The fact is that I'm not really concerned about the next owner. I'm the guy who paid full sticker, bought the extra set of factory rims, maintained the car to the letter of the schedule, never crashed it into anything, never did drag starts, or sustained top speed runs.

I bought it to enjoy it, and you can't enjoy it if you don't drive it. Yes, I've tracked it, but I don't run against the rev limiter, and I try to be as smooth as possible. I have a bunch of cars (including 4 vintage racers), and I've never sustained any damage from the type of driving I do. That might be because I know I'm the guy who would be paying to fix said damage. I drove another 100 miles today, and enjoyed each one.

I've driven lots of cars to 150K (yes, I'm old), and have people asking to buy my cars when I'm ready to sell.
Note to other owners: I have seen no rust on the Benz. Nor did I have any problems with 2 previous E class cars, or my 850 CSI, all of which went thru all the same winters. Wish I could say that about my beloved 2002 996tt X50, which is now getting about every fitting on the engine changed. While a next buyer would be delighted to get it, that won't happen, as it will be a gift to my son.

When it comes time to sell the BS, the buyer will know the true answer to every question he asks, and will probably be thrilled with the great deal he gets. I have never had a single complaint on any car I've sold, other than the Pinto I traded on a 442 at the local Olds dealer, about 40 years ago. The dealer called 2 weeks later to ask if I had the stock rims (I didn't).

If you are willing to race a Can Am Lola in the rain (I have), then driving a BS in the snow is no big deal. And, if you're looking for a used BS to acquire, and don't want a car driven in snow, don't look for one in Indiana ( I may have he only one). AS
Old 12-31-2014, 07:01 AM

Received 114 Likes on 86 Posts
'12 C63BS "SlickTop", '08 CLK63BS, '16 E63S wagon, '12 CLS63, amongst other non-Merc toys
Originally Posted by PJK
We could argue whether driving a car in the snow is beating on it (I don't think it is, but whatever), but I can't understand for the life of me is how you somehow feel entitled to ask/demand someone to voluntarily give you the VIN from their car just to appease you and your "unofficial" database.
That's the issue I think you guys are taking completely off on a tangent, I'm not here to argue it being beaten or not because of snow or if that's good or bad (although I'm guilty of contributing to that tangent of discussion), but simply to document it along with the rest that have been brought up which may concern folks in the market to buy one.

Vin numbers are commonly shared if you have not noticed in the threads on this sub-forums, what is there to hide really? If it's for privacy reason, then maybe i would be at wrong; but I don't see how a vehicle vin could reveal anything more than the car itself, as oppose the license plate is what would be a privacy concern since that has to do with the vehicle owner.

Originally Posted by PJK
How many VINs do you have listed on your unofficial database? Are you the sole arbiter to decide which cars have been "beaten?"
The ultimate goal is to gather them all, yes all 350+ of them, but with the ones between me and a couple others that have been PM'ing back and forth as well as listed in some other threads here just for the record of which ones we'd like to give a heads-up among one another, minimum of 10. And it's not being decided by anyone if its beaten or not, some simply has notes such as "CEL won't turn off", or "unexplained accident records", and some would have notes such as "Florida cars" and like this one being discussed, "snow driven". And yes, of course the basic notes of "factory form" or "with modifications" are noted as well, but again, it only helps if you're in the market to buy, too.
Old 12-31-2014, 07:05 AM

'12 C63BS "SlickTop", '08 CLK63BS, '16 E63S wagon, '12 CLS63, amongst other non-Merc toys
Originally Posted by 1AS
And, if you're looking for a used BS to acquire, and don't want a car driven in snow, don't look for one in Indiana ( I may have he only one). AS
Well, if that's what the most information we can get out of this snow-driven beauty then it'll have to do. We appreciate your reply thus far.
Old 12-31-2014, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by SMP
Regardless whether someone thinks it is "not the right thing to do", in my opinion, it is up to each individuals choice what to do with their property that they paid for with their own money ... besides, AS didn't ask for anyones opinion, but rather made a statement what he is about to do. His car, his choice ... at least that's the way I see it

I guess I am one of those that buys cars to use them as intended ... fun transportation. My F10 M5's journey (pics) from the BMW Welt throughout Germany, Austria and Italy in all weather and road conditions ... with the most aggressive settings programmed into one of the M buttons on the steering wheel: TC off, throttle, transmission and steering in sport+ ... making sure that SMP's "talent" doesn't get rusty ... instead of giving him the false sense of what a great driver he is with the electronic nannies turned on

Delivery at the Welt

Over an 8200 ft mountain pass ... poor brand new M5 ... dreadful snow in June ... but on the upside, no speed limit sign

There was abuse though ... first, those poor Michelin PSS got a workout trying to hook up in cold conditions, and me constantly correcting what 502 lb ft of torque and 560 hp would like to do without the "nannies" turned on ... and of course my wife strapped in next to me. What a gal, still took some pics!

No, hold on, ok that, with all season tires (and maybe chains?) should be sufficient as you were just driving ON THE ROAD while it's snowing; but this was what went on in my mind, when mentioned with snow tires (all terrain), and IN THE SNOW:

Old 12-31-2014, 08:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
'15 T&C & '14 SL63
The last thing anyone needs is some self appointed carfax wannabe compiling a 'database' of cars along with his very subjective interpretation of the facts and commentary.

Carfax is already bad enough. Way too Orwellian.

Imagine AOL "news" reporting on the cars for sale. *shudder*

Last edited by nycphotography; 12-31-2014 at 01:00 PM.
Old 12-31-2014, 12:25 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2008 CLK 63 Black Series, 2013 G63, 2014 RS5 Coupe, 2013 JKUR 10A
Originally Posted by 1JDM911
That's the issue I think you guys are taking completely off on a tangent, I'm not here to argue it being beaten or not because of snow or if that's good or bad (although I'm guilty of contributing to that tangent of discussion), but simply to document it along with the rest that have been brought up which may concern folks in the market to buy one.

Vin numbers are commonly shared if you have not noticed in the threads on this sub-forums, what is there to hide really? If it's for privacy reason, then maybe i would be at wrong; but I don't see how a vehicle vin could reveal anything more than the car itself, as oppose the license plate is what would be a privacy concern since that has to do with the vehicle owner.

The ultimate goal is to gather them all, yes all 350+ of them, but with the ones between me and a couple others that have been PM'ing back and forth as well as listed in some other threads here just for the record of which ones we'd like to give a heads-up among one another, minimum of 10. And it's not being decided by anyone if its beaten or not, some simply has notes such as "CEL won't turn off", or "unexplained accident records", and some would have notes such as "Florida cars" and like this one being discussed, "snow driven". And yes, of course the basic notes of "factory form" or "with modifications" are noted as well, but again, it only helps if you're in the market to buy, too.

We have all seen your prior posts and no one is buying your "innocent" routine. This forum is meant to encourage discussion from its members about their vehicles. No one should be afraid to ask a question here about an issue they may be experiencing with their vehicle, whether its a CEL or otherwise, for fear that you want to notate it on your "blacklist" for future potential purchasers or being ostracized by you for failing to produce their VIN. This site should be serving the interests of present owners first and foremost and I have not heard any support from owners for your true intentions. Perhaps it is you and your list that should "take a hike".
Old 12-31-2014, 04:06 PM
1AS

CLK 63 BS
Well, if that's what the most information we can get out of this snow-driven beauty then it'll have to do. We appreciate your reply thus far.
What i don't understand is your vision of your role in all of this. Are you a Black Series public servant, dedicated to protecting the interests of everyone in the universe who may be a potential future potential CLK BS buyer? If so, why? Are you looking for a car? If so, mine isn't for sale.
Or, do you just seek truth and justice for mankind in every arena?
Or, do you see just see yourself as the virtual Mother Theresa of the Black Series Board? A heavy burden indeed.
My suggestions for you are few. You should add "Smoker or Non-smoker", "Ever spill any liquids in your car?", "Wax every 6 months or left to the atmosphere", "Driven on bumpy roads", "Ever hit a pothole?", and most important, "Do you fart in your car?" to your list of important secondary market buyer factoids.
I think you can sense that you have all of my positive reinforcement on your self-appointed role, and I wish you nothing but success in the new year.

Last edited by 1AS; 12-31-2014 at 04:07 PM. Reason: tupo
Old 12-31-2014, 04:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
76 220D
+1 for 1AS
Old 12-31-2014, 05:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
MB C63 AMG
Lets get back on topic, daily drive . I use to drive for 5 hours just to get my Evo in some snow ! Man was that fun
Old 12-31-2014, 06:45 PM
1AS

CLK 63 BS
Agree. So today, being clear but cold (about 18 degrees F), I took my McLaren for a couple of errands, which involved a loop to Chicago. Altogether, about 120 miles.
I have to say for most of that trip, I'd have preferred the BS. It's actually more responsive in traffic, and I prefer the sound. The one area where the Mac is better is on a section of the Chicago Skyway where the pavement is ribbed concrete. That pavement upsets the BS ride in a way that really makes passengers uncomfortable. The McLaren has a super soft ride in "N", and is far better on that stretch.
On the other hand, if going to the track, I prefer the Mclaren. Trans is better, and the pull over 6500 is impressive.
So, score one for daily driving of the BS.
Old 12-31-2014, 07:17 PM
SMP
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
CLK63 Black Series
No, hold on, ok that, with all season tires (and maybe chains?) should be sufficient as you were just driving ON THE ROAD while it's snowing; but this was what went on in my mind, when mentioned with snow tires (all terrain), and IN THE SNOW:

Maybe you missed it ... One of the pics has a caption about tires: Michelin PSS, which have very little grip in those cold conditions. Chains? I picked up the car in June '13 ... besides, chains on 20" forged wheels? I haven't used or bought chains in a long time ... not even sure if they make them in that size.

Everything that was needed for those road conditions was on hand: Experience, skill, nerves and a set of ***** ... and perhaps not being concerned that a brand new car is exposed to snow, ice, water, dirt, sand, salt ... or maybe because I was born in Europe and little things like that don't elevate my heart rate.
Old 01-08-2015, 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by ET550
We have all seen your prior posts and no one is buying your "innocent" routine.
My posts weren't meant for you, what's there for you be bought into? Innocent? Nope, just straight to exactly what asked.

This forum is meant to encourage discussion from its members about their vehicles. No one should be afraid to ask a question here about an issue they may be experiencing with their vehicle, whether its a CEL or otherwise, for fear that you want to notate it on your "blacklist" for future potential purchasers or being ostracized by you for failing to produce their VIN.
So, did My question scare you? or anyone else? I'm a legit member here discussing a vehicle of a member whom openly shares an experience, have I not? So what gives you the right to discourage me from this discussion?

Please, "blacklist"? since when did I ever call it that? Look, every buyer has a different agenda and intention or purchasing, some if not most are like minded as me, there are a good numbers of thread we communicate in on top of PM's; and no, not future potential purchasers, CURRENT prospects is the correct term, no need to belittle others beside yourself with all these false accuse, your worthless commentary has so far been 0% constructive to both this thread nor any question brought up from it.

This site should be serving the interests of present owners first and foremost and I have not heard any support from owners for your true intentions. Perhaps it is you and your list that should "take a hike".
Our list will sure will take a hike from this thread as it was never intended to be posted in here anyways, it deserves its own thread; and it's pretty obvious my intention of asking was for the information favoring a buyer over an owner, being both, however, sure is something you don't understand right now otherwise you wouldn't be hitting walls with your tasteless replies.
Old 01-08-2015, 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by 1AS
What i don't understand is your vision of your role in all of this.
It isn't really a rocket science, I'm both a current owner, and as well as an open-buyer to another same specimen because I like the car that much.

Originally Posted by 1AS
Are you a Black Series public servant, dedicated to protecting the interests of everyone in the universe who may be a potential future potential CLK BS buyer? If so, why? Are you looking for a car? If so, mine isn't for sale.
Whom in here does not address the question for others unless it benefits himself? which is redundant to say because it was clearly shown when I've over-explained, again, and again, and again... again. For the last time (probably not, because some idiots will keep hitting this wall, again), I am both an owner as well as a buyer, there's absolutely no reason for me to care about the gathered intels if I've no intention to buy another one...

But do I also care about the conditions of this particular models that folks around me, some I've even met in person before their purchase, are getting themselves into? sure of course, unless they've already understood the given terms & prior history, then that's their own bad if it doesn't meet their own expectation.

Would potential or future potential buyer benefit from this type of discussions? Sure, if he or she does proper research (coming across these threads, job well done), but no, really, it is for the interest for CURRENT prospects, the ones that are talking & discussing NOW.

I'm not aggressive looking for another one but when I see one that I like, sure I'll buy it without hesitation; for sale or not, right now, sure it's good to know one of these with debatable history doesn't have to waste the time of filtering.

Originally Posted by 1AS
Or, do you just seek truth and justice for mankind in every arena?
Or, do you see just see yourself as the virtual Mother Theresa of the Black Series Board? A heavy burden indeed.
I like your sense of humor, ha! but unfortunately mister wise one, I bear no such noble mentality, you can leave that to ET550 as he urges to earn himself a badge of recongition from the boyscout camp.

Originally Posted by 1AS
My suggestions for you are few. You should add "Smoker or Non-smoker", "Ever spill any liquids in your car?", "Wax every 6 months or left to the atmosphere", "Driven on bumpy roads", "Ever hit a pothole?", and most important, "Do you fart in your car?" to your list of important secondary market buyer factoids.
I think you can sense that you have all of my positive reinforcement on your self-appointed role, and I wish you nothing but success in the new year.
Believe it or not, interior replacements from the factory of this vehicle can both be cheap & expensive, so the smoker(scent)/liquid-spilling(stain) issues are surely important, but can be also easily inspected by even a third-party inspection.. in which, the vehicle successor should be responsible of course. Paint condition, equally important subject; yet again, can be inspected with proper resource. The rest of the other issues, ironic that they're coming from you, bumpy roads/pothole/even fart, none comes as avoidable & as by-choice as driving in snow... Anyways, the roles are simple, I'm both an owner and an open-buyer; you can think of me otherwise in your fairy tale, but that's none of my biz. Have a wonderful 2015, and enjoy it in good health.
Old 01-08-2015, 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by SMP
Maybe you missed it ... One of the pics has a caption about tires: Michelin PSS, which have very little grip in those cold conditions. Chains? I picked up the car in June '13 ... besides, chains on 20" forged wheels? I haven't used or bought chains in a long time ... not even sure if they make them in that size.

Everything that was needed for those road conditions was on hand: Experience, skill, nerves and a set of ***** ... and perhaps not being concerned that a brand new car is exposed to snow, ice, water, dirt, sand, salt ... or maybe because I was born in Europe and little things like that don't elevate my heart rate.
I'm sure I've missed many details along this thread, but how I picture you so far is nothing less of Ned Stark.

Old 01-08-2015, 05:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 159 Likes on 128 Posts
NB8 PARACHUTE
`

Granted that I am only looking for a CLK BS

to use as a DD - I too am guilty of collecting

a "Database" of notes - locations - service ect...

and if the vin is available - it's also noted

With less than 350 BS's still on the road

when one comes up for sale I want to know

everything possible about it

Several forum members who have posted in

this thread have responded to my P.M.'s

for answers to my questions in an adult and

polite manner - 1JDM911 included

Knowledge is Good - Emil Faber said that

This is the reason that I joined this forum

For the knowledge that the members have

and are willing to share with me

in threads or in P.M.'s

Thank-You

`
Old 01-08-2015, 06:04 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CLK63 AMG Black Series
^^^^^^

... and because of it I now own one of these amazing Black Series beasts!
Old 01-09-2015, 04:20 PM
1AS

CLK 63 BS
Well, for those who are using the car for daily driving, I'll describe my last 2 days, with temps about 7 degrees F, and 4" of snowfall daily. On snow tires, the car was surprisingly tractable. The locker rear dif seems to work best with the TC off, at least for driving up snowy hills. Braking and cornering were fine. I had no problems in our tiny town, on the smaller roads, or the expressway. We live at the top of a fairly tall hill, and I had no problems getting ascending or descending. AS
Old 03-14-2015, 05:12 AM

No Mercedes yet.
With the CLK63BS, are the high milage ones done depreciating, or will they keep dropping (above 100k miles)?
Old 03-15-2015, 12:31 PM

CLK63 AMG Black Series
Originally Posted by 1AS
Well, for those who are using the car for daily driving, I'll describe my last 2 days, with temps about 7 degrees F, and 4" of snowfall daily. On snow tires, the car was surprisingly tractable. The locker rear dif seems to work best with the TC off, at least for driving up snowy hills. Braking and cornering were fine. I had no problems in our tiny town, on the smaller roads, or the expressway. We live at the top of a fairly tall hill, and I had no problems getting ascending or descending. AS
You may want to adjust your coil overs higher to give you more ground clearance during winter driving.

My ride height is at factory settings. I still get stuck on parking curbs! (very upsetting!!!)

I can only imagine what you can get stuck on or plow through while driving in that level of snow.

Last edited by MOFLO; 03-15-2015 at 12:45 PM.
Old 03-15-2015, 12:45 PM

CLK63 AMG Black Series
Originally Posted by Haraise
With the CLK63BS, are the high milage ones done depreciating, or will they keep dropping (above 100k miles)?
Yes and no. Yes the depreciation should be done with over 100K on the car. No the price of car will stay fairly steady because of demand. Supply and demand drives everything...

I think these cars with over 100k are hard to find. A car driven an average 10K per year will only be in the 70-80K miles range by now. Because of the rarity and pricing, they get bought quickly by it being "affordable". These cars are solid regardless of how many miles it has, well at least the power train should be. I can't speak to other aspects of the car, interior, exterior, electronic, etc. But any decently maintained vehicle should be ok. I would buy 100K CLKBS if I could!
Old 03-15-2015, 02:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 159 Likes on 128 Posts
NB8 PARACHUTE
`

Originally Posted by MOFLO
My ride height is at factory settings. I still get stuck on parking curbs! (very upsetting!!!)

I know the feeling

About 10 years ago as I was pulling into a parking space

on a hot sunny day - a very hot young girl wearing a very

sheer tight fitting halter top with developing headlights

walked in front of me as I was pulling into the parking space

I admit that I looked ( I was a movie producer at the time )

Then I kissed the concrete parking bumper with my lower lip

and my attempt at a cheap thrill cost me $500

Never too old to learn

`
Old 03-15-2015, 05:06 PM

2008 CLK63 BS
Haha
Old 03-17-2015, 02:01 PM
1AS

CLK 63 BS
Update on winter driving. I now have about 2000 miles on my new C7 Corvette. On Michelin Alpines, it is noticeably better in the snow than the BS (also on snows). This may be due to the 50/50 weight distribution, or better magic in the computerized traction control.
So, the BS is warm and dry until things warm up a bit more.
Interestingly, the BS is more exciting to drive (with the exception of those really rough concrete patches), sound is better, and the seats in the BS are far better. Can't beat C7 gas mileage, however (if that even matters to anyone here). AS