CLK63 Black Series Forum & Registry Information and discussion on the W209 CLK63 AMG Black Series and Registry for all owners.

Test Driving a used BS?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-18-2015, 08:05 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
‘14 ML63, ‘11 E63, ‘05 M3
Test Driving a used BS?

Hi all,

I have been an ///M owner and have 2 M3 and recently sold my M5 in preparation in changing my ownership to AMG. After visiting the Affalterbach facility and meeting Michael Kubler in person, I decided from that day on I would own an AMG someday.

I've been battling between E63 Bi-Turbo and the CLK63 BS. Two totally different vehicles I know. They are both in the mid 60's for good examples which is the price point I want to max out at.

Due to the exclusivity of the CLK, I haven't had the opportunity to test drive one. I ask all of you that own/owned one in the past:
  • Did you test drive it before purchasing?
  • Why did you purchase the vehicle?
  • Do you still own it?
  • Would you consider selling for a newer AMG? If so, which/why?

I'm curious of the feedback I receive. Ever since I saw a silver one back in 2010 at the Lennox Mall in Atlanta immediately captivated my attention/desire towards this car. While there's some areas of improvement (i.e. blip downshifts), overall the vehicle is still quite appealing 8 years later...

Unfortunately, I'm stuck accepting the fact that Obsidian Black is my only option right now based on what's in the market. Then again, Satin Guard full wrap may help with the protection and differentiation.

Looking forward hearing your thoughts. I have read many threads on people asking for advice/opinions and have been informative, but none really with all the questions above answered. My apologies if the questions seem redundant as I don't want add another useless thread for the forum...

Thanks all!
Old 03-18-2015, 09:02 AM

Received 129 Likes on 82 Posts
fun ones.
Hi,

I'm a new owner, bought my car 2 months ago so this process is fairly fresh in the memory. My car is bought as a keeper, occasional use.

There are no current AMGs that I would swap it for. Everything else is too soft and too bland. I would swap it for a SL65 Black or a CLK DTM though!

I don't think your E63/CLK BS conundrum would be an issue if you drove both of them, they're completely different and would generally appeal to rather different owners.

I test drove 3 cars in total, all had their own issues even 5k mile cars.

I'm in the UK so our cars are a little more special and our prices seem to be on the up too which is nice.
Old 03-18-2015, 11:51 AM

Received 70 Likes on 42 Posts
AMG GTS, Ford Raptor and Tesla Model 3 dual motor
Did you test drive it before purchasing? YES
Why did you purchase the vehicle? ONCE YOU DRIVE IT YOU WILL KNOW WHY
Do you still own it? YES
Would you consider selling for a newer AMG? If so, which/why? NO
By the way the Obsidian black is probably the rarest color as I am only aware of 3 of them in that color including mine.
Old 03-18-2015, 02:45 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
CLK63 AMG Black Series
Did you test drive it before purchasing? - Yes twice.
Why did you purchase the vehicle? - Great bang for buck in the segment. Rarity, power, presence, etc
Do you still own it? - No just sold after a year of ownership. Will I regret my decision? Who knows.
Would you consider selling for a newer AMG? If so, which/why? - Yes, for a newer C63 or SLS.
Old 03-18-2015, 06:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLK63 BS, 996 Turbo, Lexus ES300h
Did you test drive it before purchasing? No, sight unseen, black low mileage (PPI & had someone put eyes on car)

Why did you purchase the vehicle? Looks, performance specs, limited production and German muscle exhaust note - nothing like it IMO!!!)

Do you still own it? Yes, 1 year and counting

Would you consider selling for a newer AMG? If so, which/why? No, it checked every box for me, however, I plan to add the AMG GTS as a younger sibling
Old 03-19-2015, 01:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK63 AMG BS
Did you test drive it before purchasing?
- Yes, never purchased a car before test driving.

Why did you purchase the vehicle?
- Because this car is absolute bonkers and extremely exclusive.

Do you still own it?
- Yes, hoping the value holds or starts appreciating in 4-5 years

Would you consider selling for a newer AMG? If so, which/why?
- Maybe AMG GT-S in 4-5 years, depending on how exclusive it is.
Old 03-19-2015, 06:27 AM

Received 108 Likes on 80 Posts
'12 C63BS "SlickTop", '08 CLK63BS, '16 E63S wagon, '12 CLS63, amongst other non-Merc toys
Did you test drive before purchasing?
-No, I'd like to, but usually it's up front cost for the house and tip after.

Why did you purchase?
-Sometimes it's call a stress release.

Do you still own it?
-No, I'd be broke, their hourly fee is quite a lot.

Would you consider selling for a newer AMG? If so, which/why?
-If I own the parlor, sure, customers always dig a new Asian Massage Girl, good for the business.

lol I kid. I kid.
Old 03-19-2015, 08:57 AM
PJK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK63BS
My background wasn't too different than yours in that I used to have a bunch of ///M cars. To be honest, the newer BMW M cars (while great cars), just do peak my interest as much as they used to (again, they are great cars).

Did you test drive it before purchasing? No. There weren't any local cars for sale, and I'd read enough about them that I was pretty confident I would like it. Plus, until I bought my CLK63BS, I tended to only keep a car a year or so, so it didn't matter too much if I didn't like it... but I did.

Why did you purchase the vehicle? "ONCE YOU DRIVE IT YOU WILL KNOW WHY" <- Agreed! As to why I originally purchased the car, I thought it was a great blend of performance, comfort, and exclusivity. Plus the sound... oh the sound.

Do you still own it? YES - 4 years.

Would you consider selling for a newer AMG? If so, which/why? Yes, no, maybe... I gave up thinking I would hold onto cars forever, but this one is starting to change my mind. Newer cars obviously have improved in many areas, but (IMO) the CLK63BS manages to have a dual personality between a modern interpretation of a 60s muscle car and a sports car that I just love. I'll hopefully buy a SLS at some point (I have a thing for gull wing doors).
Old 03-19-2015, 10:50 AM

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts
CLK63 BS
Test drove. Have owned high HP/stiff suspension autos prior, so test was more for experiencing layout and feel of the cabin, which was not as big an issue w/a car based off a mass produced daily driver (however, it's a must do for exotics). Was sold back in 2007 when it was released but could not pony up $130K. Best car I've ever owned. Not interested in other BS's or newer AMG's so wouldn't sell to acquire one of those but would consider selling for some other bucket list auto of equal or greater entertainment level.
Old 03-19-2015, 08:36 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
‘14 ML63, ‘11 E63, ‘05 M3
thanks all for the feedback. I will be buying an e55 within the next two weeks and take my time finding the right BS for me. In the meantime, I will slim down my garage
Old 03-19-2015, 08:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 CLK63 AMG Black Series, 2022 BMW X3 M40i
  • Did you test drive it before purchasing?

Yes. Drove the car twice before pulling the trigger on a purchase. This might sound silly, but after my first test drive, I went home and read every review and watched every video I could find on the CLK63 BS for days (multiple times).

• Why did you purchase the vehicle?

There were several factors for me:

1. Jeremy Clarkson's review of the CLK63 BS on Top Gear was the biggest influence on wanting to purchase this car.
    2. As the 1st Black Series for the US market and built with the iconic naturally aspirated M156 engine, I believe this car will hold it's value in the long run.
    3. I wanted to own a piece of AMG history.
    4. As others already mentioned, the way this car drives! Firing up the V8 is a great way to start the day. It's not the fastest car out there, has minimal interior technology, but I'd still choose the CLK63 BS over other newer cars.

• Do you still own it?

Yes. 1.5 years of ownership so far and planning to hold on to the Black Series for possibly many more years.

• Would you consider selling for a newer AMG? If so, which/why?

I suppose if the offer was good enough, I would consider selling it. The reason to sell wouldn't be for a "newer" latest greatest AMG. I think I am content with this future old school Mercedes.

The E63 Bi-Turbo would be a great alternative. I would actually choose an E63 or G63 wagon if I needed more room for a growing family. Hope this info helps. Best of luck on your search for the Black Series
Old 03-19-2015, 11:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 158 Likes on 127 Posts
NB8 PARACHUTE
`

Originally Posted by 1V8C55
[LIST]
This might sound silly, but after my first test drive, I went home and read every review and watched every video I could find on the CLK63 BS for days (multiple times).

Not silly at all

I do the same thing - every day

I have a T.V. displaying a series

of B.S. videos on DVD that loops

28 hours a day 8 days a week

in the kitchen area (no sound @ night)

The CLK B.S. is a work of art

`