Text messaging and COMAND

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 04:38 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
2012 CLS550 4MATIC
Text messaging and COMAND

Just wondering if anyone uses the text messaging capability in COMAND. I just got a new phone yesterday (Samsung Galaxy S2 for Sprint), and while I was in the car today, I received a text message. To my great surprise, there was a tone and a little envelope showed up on the COMAND screen. I went to the phone menu, there was an option for text messages at the bottom, and all my texts showed up!

I can read my texts, but to get to there, I have to go into the phone menu, highlight "text messages" with the COMAND controller, then select the text I want to view. It is almost less distracting to actually read the text on the phone!

Anyone know of any other way to get the text messages to display on the screen or in the instrument cluster LCD without having to go through all the steps in the phone menu? It would be nice if an incoming text would just pop up in a little window on whatever screen you are currently on, and then you could just dismiss it with a click on the controller...
Old 02-18-2012, 03:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E350
That's the only way according to the COMAND user guide (p133). It does mention that there should be a "Read Aloud" option when you select a text. My guess is that this would be next to useless, since many texts are in shorthand and my COMAND/Linguatronic has enough trouble understanding clearly spoken English . . . from England . . . where English comes from!