20" Wheels - If you had it to do over again...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 04:27 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
cls550
20" Wheels - If you had it to do over again...

...would you still go with the 20s? Will take delivery in April/May - looking at wheels now. Yes, the look of 20s is outstanding. The question is, after riding around on them for a few hours would I rather be out of the car, standing.

Totally subjective as it is - how much do 20s affect the ride? Road noise? Suspension wear? Does the brand of wheel make a difference to those previous variables? Does price generally equate to resistance to distortion from potholes? If not, does anything? Three piece, one piece? Tire brand? I ordered a 4matic - does that affect things? I'd be willing to give up some performance to make the ride as close to stock as possible. I'll be using the stock 18s with the stock A/S tire in the winter. Anybody near Denver wanna give me a ride on your 20 inchers?

After considerable deliberation and angst I elected to omit the Comfort Box option. The dealer pushed hard for it but I firmly held my ground. This wheel decision has me in a tailspin...

I guess I'm asking for your "gestalt". Thanks.
Old 01-26-2013, 11:29 AM
OBP

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
Lexus SC430, CLS550 4matic, GLK350 4matic, Volvo XC90 T8, E63 S AMG
I would not go with 20's but that is because I am 100% focused on practicality rather than looks. If I did get the CLS 550 4matic, like you, I would get the 18 inch AMG wheel package. I would not even want 19s cos I think tire life will be reduced riding on 19s. Qn I guess is what you would want to do with the car ? All my cars are not garage queens, they all serve family hauling duty from time time, including road trips. Yes even my conv is used on road trips though that is when it's only me and the wife. So for me, I would stick with 18s. They just ride better. Maybe, just maybe, if I found OEM 19s which I liked a lot in mint condition, I might add them as a pure summer option but they would have to be available at a killer deal price. More likely than getting 19s, I will probably want to get another set of 18s for a full winter set up when this car does ski vacation duty.

Like you, I thought pretty hard about the comfort box and decided I am not going for it - it reduces clearance in the trunk and a full size golf bag strap might catch onto it. If you're buying stuff from a place that does not give you plastic bags, then just have a costco canvas shopping bag in the trunk I think.

I really hope you will update us once your car arrives ? I may order one around the time you take delivery and your experience will be really appreciated.
Old 05-03-2013, 09:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS63
I opted for 20's over the OEM 18's and have not regretted it. Tire brand does play an important role in performance to include road noise. Going with a Plus size wheel/tire combination will not cause suspension wear. Lowering your vehicle beyond intended factory limits will. Type of wheel also makes a difference in the pricing and maintenance. For piece of mind, I always purchase forged wheels for my vehicles. Yes, they are more expensive than cast steel or aluminum wheels but they are less likely to bend when hitting potholes. The cost of repairs for cast wheels will eventually equate to forged wheels over time depending on the area you reside in. I have hit some potholes in my area over the years and have never bent a wheel. See tirerack's tech guide on wheel differences: http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/tech/techpage.jsp?techid=90&
I will admit that I was skeptical about the ride comfort of 20's over 19's but was pleased that there is very little noticable difference, if any. I highly recommend that you arrange to drive a 20" equiped vehicle on your roads before making a final decision for not all areas are equal and riding on 20's in CA, FL, TX, NC, etc is not the same as say NY or MA.
Old 05-03-2013, 11:46 AM

cls550
Great review of 20" wheels/tires. Thanks.
Old 05-06-2013, 05:47 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
R350
Since we did a couple of 20's and 21's on CLS builds in the past few years in New York City area infested with potholes and lousy roads, we can certainly say go for it! A quality forged wheel setup will go a long way. It looks incredible and the sheer aggressiveness of the setup make that car look nuts! Shoot us a note and we'll be happy to help you out with ideas, info and selection. Actually got a few brand new designs that would look epic on the new CLS for sure.

Last edited by D2FORGED; 05-06-2013 at 05:51 PM.
Old 05-06-2013, 06:27 PM

cls550
I'm more inclined to favor non-commercialized responses. Thanks.
The following users liked this post:
rolling18 (08-21-2016)
Old 08-01-2013, 05:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cls550-4
I've put 16k miles on mine in 1.5yrs, no problems with 19" tires.... I'm using them for snows now and buying 20s....