DAM POTHOLES!!!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 01:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'12 CLS 550 4matic
Angry DAM POTHOLES!!!!!

This is the 2nd time, I hit an unavaoidable pothole and 2nd time it bubbled the right front tire. Was in the lovely Bronx on the Bronx River Parkway. I was going around a blind bend and had absolutely no time to react. Nothing annoyes me more that hearing that slam. Addind insult to injury was that I was going to take the train. Guess I should have. Not sure the dam Pirellis are too good taking abuse either. I have the all season P Zero Nero's in 18"
Old 02-12-2013, 03:50 PM

2018 GLE63S Coupe , 2012 Volvo XC60 R-Design, 2000 TRD PreRunner (heavily modded)
Doesn't look like it. The 19" Continentals have been able to take some unavoidable abuse.
I'm impressed with them actually. So so in rain and standing water, but abuse wise good.
Did you kill the rim too? Sorry to hear it none the less.
Old 02-12-2013, 08:09 PM

'12 CLS 550 4matic
Originally Posted by Dabigkaluna
Doesn't look like it. The 19" Continentals have been able to take some unavoidable abuse.
I'm impressed with them actually. So so in rain and standing water, but abuse wise good.
Did you kill the rim too? Sorry to hear it none the less.
What abuse does your Benz take in Hawaii!! I've been on Ouha (yes downtown Honolulu), Maui and Kauai. That's one giant pillow compared to the winter roads in NYC!
Beautiful neck of the woods you are in though!

I opted out of the 19" just for that reason, God knows how bad damage would have been w/ the 19's. No known damage to the 18's, but it's very frustrating driving in NYC, especially during the winter. You spend at least half your time looking down to avoid the holes as you do other cars!
Old 02-12-2013, 08:19 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SL55
Ouch! Totally feel the pain being from here in Los Angeles. Some roads here are no better.
Old 02-12-2013, 08:29 PM

2018 GLE63S Coupe , 2012 Volvo XC60 R-Design, 2000 TRD PreRunner (heavily modded)
Originally Posted by FEGELEIN
What abuse does your Benz take in Hawaii!! I've been on Ouha (yes downtown Honolulu), Maui and Kauai. That's one giant pillow compared to the winter roads in NYC!
Beautiful neck of the woods you are in though!

I opted out of the 19" just for that reason, God knows how bad damage would have been w/ the 19's. No known damage to the 18's, but it's very frustrating driving in NYC, especially during the winter. You spend at least half your time looking down to avoid the holes as you do other cars!
Seriously the roads here on O'ahu are terrible. Maui and Hawai'i not so bad. Downtown is decent. Drive out of downtown and its like driving an obstacle course especially out in the country where I live. Even on the freeway.
When it rains, it makes entire sections of road useless with new obstacles.
So besides the constant salt air, vog, humidity, I'd say we got some things to deal with.
Winter .... What's winter? I give you credit I'd be out in nothing less than 4wd about 4feet off the ground and about a foot of tire around my rim.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2009 040 Black C63, 2009 Arctic White G55, 2012 Storm Red CLS550 4Matic
I also have a 2012 CLS550 and I can tell you that I have been having the same problems. My right front tire had a bubble in it a few months ago. (NYC driving) I then replaced it a while back and just realized that there is yet again another bubble on the new tire. It seems like everyone I know has trouble with CLS wheel and tire setups. Two other people that I know that own a CLS have both experienced at least one bubble in their tires. It's very annoying to say the least.
Old 02-13-2013, 12:46 PM

'12 CLS 550 4matic
Originally Posted by Chris420
I also have a 2012 CLS550 and I can tell you that I have been having the same problems. My right front tire had a bubble in it a few months ago. (NYC driving) I then replaced it a while back and just realized that there is yet again another bubble on the new tire. It seems like everyone I know has trouble with CLS wheel and tire setups. Two other people that I know that own a CLS have both experienced at least one bubble in their tires. It's very annoying to say the least.
And further testament to that, my mechanic just got the tire from Mercedes and it's one of the last ones around, they are on national backorder. I know and can see why!
Old 02-13-2013, 12:49 PM

'12 CLS 550 4matic
Seriously the roads here on O'ahu are terrible. Maui and Hawai'i not so bad. Downtown is decent. Drive out of downtown and its like driving an obstacle course especially out in the country where I live. Even on the freeway.
When it rains, it makes entire sections of road useless with new obstacles.
So besides the constant salt air, vog, humidity, I'd say we got some things to deal with.
Winter .... What's winter? I give you credit I'd be out in nothing less than 4wd about 4feet off the ground and about a foot of tire around my rim.
ahhhhh, I don't want to hear about problems from Hawai'i!
Old 02-13-2013, 09:43 PM

Vehicle
Ah, potholes are terrible. Here in Pittsburgh, we have the lovely combination of snow, ice, twisting roads, and...potholes.
Old 02-14-2013, 02:18 AM

ahhhhh, I don't want to hear about problems from Hawai'i!
Haha... You sir, will listen!

On a serious note, might be time to switch out to a different brand. I've never been a fan of Pirelli. Even back in the day when I was a tech. Over priced and under delivered.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:58 AM

'12 CLS 550 4matic
Haha... You sir, will listen!

On a serious note, might be time to switch out to a different brand. I've never been a fan of Pirelli. Even back in the day when I was a tech. Over priced and under delivered.
HAHA, i hear ya, just busting. I agree, but I only have 3,900 miles on the clock! oh, and here's a little more of the damage, guess I really should have taken the train! These AMG wheels really are garbage though. I went through this many a time with my '10 E5504matic AMG 18" wheels. I would think that tire wise, run flats would be best, becasue of the extra reinforcement in the tire.
Attached Thumbnails DAM POTHOLES!!!!!-photo.jpg  

Last edited by FEGELEIN; 02-14-2013 at 09:01 AM.
Old 02-15-2013, 08:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The highway funding bills get larger every year, and the roads get worse and worse every year.
Old 02-15-2013, 10:55 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
2017 C63s Cabriolet
9000 miles and I have replaced 3 P Zero's since taking delivery. When I noticed one of the newly replaced fronts had failed again (side bulge) it was time to throw the trash out and replaced with Bridgestone Pole Positions. I've never been a fan of Pirelli's either but these thing's are real garbage.
I fault Mercedes for putting these on their car in the first place. They do nothing well and must have a horrible failure rate... but I bet they were cheap.
Old 02-16-2013, 09:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
G350 Bluetec
Originally Posted by nyca
The highway funding bills get larger every year, and the roads get worse and worse every year.
That is because those bills and the state and federal gas taxes get shunted into the general funds, not what they were intended for - construction and maintenance of highways. Highway funds are not the only designated funds that are re-directed; it is common practice.

In (snow country anyway) one tip is a "minus 1 fitment" . Run a smaller diameter wheel in the winter with a winter tire whose outside diameter is the same as your summers but obviously has more sidewall and more air. Thus they tire can take more of a smack before it fails. You have to check with service, it maybe in the back of your owner's manual, or go on the german MB website to see the smallest diameter wheel will fit. You can also check the spare for its diameter. (Yes, they will put a 17" spare on a car with standard 18 or optional 20" wheels.) In the GLK in the very back of the OM the 17" wheels and tire specs for 17" winter tires were given. Winter tires like Blizzaks tend to be a bit mushier than summer tires and will give you piece of mind when you get into snow or icy conditions.

Dealers love selling wheel insurance with a new car!
Old 02-16-2013, 12:49 PM

'12 CLS 550 4matic
Originally Posted by Hoop
9000 miles and I have replaced 3 P Zero's since taking delivery. When I noticed one of the newly replaced fronts had failed again (side bulge) it was time to throw the trash out and replaced with Bridgestone Pole Positions. I've never been a fan of Pirelli's either but these thing's are real garbage.
I fault Mercedes for putting these on their car in the first place. They do nothing well and must have a horrible failure rate... but I bet they were cheap.
I think Pirelli's in general, give one of the best fair weather performances as a tire, given it's very soft compound. They have no place in anything but
Old 02-17-2013, 01:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 420 Likes on 346 Posts
MB’s
This is the 2nd time, I hit an unavaoidable pothole and 2nd time it bubbled the right front tire. Was in the lovely Bronx on the Bronx River Parkway. I was going around a blind bend and had absolutely no time to react. Nothing annoyes me more that hearing that slam. Addind insult to injury was that I was going to take the train. Guess I should have. Not sure the dam Pirellis are too good taking abuse either. I have the all season P Zero Nero's in 18"
Welcome to good ole NY. Upstate is not much better at all when it comes to roads
Old 02-17-2013, 07:53 PM

2017 C63s Cabriolet
I think Pirelli's in general, give one of the best fair weather performances as a tire, given it's very soft compound. They have no place in anything but
I'm basing my opinion on the fact that I had to replace 3 of them in 10,000 miles and they placed a distant 18th in a Tirerack survey .

I'm curious, what are you basing your opinion on?
Old 02-20-2013, 08:25 AM

'12 CLS 550 4matic
Originally Posted by C280 Sport
Welcome to good ole NY. Upstate is not much better at all when it comes to roads
Welcome? I was born an raised here! lol
Never can get used to it though, roads are brutal in the winter.
Old 02-20-2013, 08:29 AM

'12 CLS 550 4matic
Originally Posted by Hoop
I'm basing my opinion on the fact that I had to replace 3 of them in 10,000 miles and they placed a distant 18th in a Tirerack survey .

I'm curious, what are you basing your opinion on?
Opinion wise, I am basing it on owing many sports cars through the years, with Pirelli as the original tire. I have logged a lot of miles on them and others. My main complaint, is the pothole issue and that they are very soft / wear out quickly. I also think it is common knowledge about them, that they are very "Sticky", but sticky = soft compound and fast wear.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Contis are bad with potholes too. I have had better luck with the Michelin Pilot all season.
Old 02-22-2013, 08:30 PM

'12 CLS 550 4matic
Originally Posted by nyca
Contis are bad with potholes too. I have had better luck with the Michelin Pilot all season.
Agreed, Pilot's are great tires! I had them on my new '99 M3 and have them as originals on my '09 911S
Old 02-22-2013, 08:44 PM

2002 E55 AMG, 1999 E55 AMG , Audi allroad 2.7T sold ,08 Jeep SRT8 sold, 06 TBSS Sold
I feel your pain , I traveled to NY this past Monday , the roads are terrible. I swear they have been doing the same road work in the BQE in Brooklyn for 2 decades. Same location , and the roads are never completed.
Old 02-25-2013, 07:25 AM

'12 CLS 550 4matic
Originally Posted by WBE55
I feel your pain , I traveled to NY this past Monday , the roads are terrible. I swear they have been doing the same road work in the BQE in Brooklyn for 2 decades. Same location , and the roads are never completed.
JObs like that on the BQE are all over NYC expressways. Those "marathon" jobs, usually require a lot of structural work below the roadways, over passes, bridges,etc. A lot of these locations were built an easy 75 yrs ago and all all in need of new structural components to replace the rusted out old ones. It's a fn nightmare for us drivers.
Old 03-29-2013, 01:46 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
N/A
The Pirelli's 19's are the worst tires i have ever owned. I've replaced all four within 7500 miles, the latest incident bent my front passenger side rim.
Attached Thumbnails DAM POTHOLES!!!!!-img_1430.jpg  
Old 04-02-2013, 12:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
M6 Gran Coupe
Roads are horrible here, too.....I really want to get 20 inch Vossens.....but I just know it's only a matter of time until I hit a ridiculously huge pothole and destroy the rim and tire....it's not if....but when.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: DAM POTHOLES!!!!!