What is your guys honest opinions on the appearance of the CLS?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-25-2014, 08:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 CLS550
What is your guys honest opinions on the appearance of the CLS?

Personally I have mixed feelings. I bought the car strictly on exterior appearace ever since the first day I saw it I was in love. Sometimes I see the car and think "honestly this is one of the best looking cars I have ever seen". Then there are other times where I find myself feeling like its nice looking but nothing too great. What are your guys opinions on the appearance? Also how do you think it stacks up to the BMW 650i and Audi A/S7?
Old 04-25-2014, 11:24 PM

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
2020 Mercedes-Benz GLE 450; 2010 Chevy Corvette Convertible
I just got my CLS 550 on Tuesday ... And I've been sitting here this evening looking at photos I took earlier and thinking "this is a beautiful car!" I looked at the BMW when I was at the dealership and it didn't turn my head ... I didn't even drive it. The A7 is a nice looking car from the side and rear, but the front view/grill is hideous in my opinion.

Of course at the end of the day, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Some might take issue with the rear fender design, but I think the side profile works from all angles. In fact, the CLS looks fantastic from any angle ... And yes, I'm biased.
Attached Thumbnails What is your guys honest opinions on the appearance of the CLS?-image.jpg  

Last edited by Drgolf131; 04-27-2014 at 11:57 AM.
Old 04-26-2014, 07:14 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,351 Likes on 2,807 Posts
2012 CLS63
from a 'style' standpoint, I much prefer the look of the CLS to any BMW or even Audi........art is a very subjective thing
Old 04-26-2014, 08:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

14' CLS550
My order, CLS, 650 gc.. saw one yesterday, biiigg wide car, A7.. I really don't like the A7 at all. Only thing I don't like about our car is the tail lights. Take a good look at the tail light, its Massive! But the profile and the front looks soo aggressive and beautiful.
Old 04-26-2014, 07:44 PM

2014 CLS550
Originally Posted by Drgolf131
I just got my CLS 550 on Tuesday ... And I've Ben sitting here this evening looking at photos I took this evening and thinking "this is a beautiful car!" I looked at the BMW when I was at the dealership and it didn't turn my head ... I didn't even drive it. The A7 is a nice looking car from the side and rear, but the front view/grill is hideous in my opinion.

Of course at the end of the day, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Some might take issue with the rear fender design, but I think the side profile works from all angles. In fact, the CLS looks fantastic from any angle ... And yes, I'm biased.
So lucky you live in Texas because, A) Its the home of the Cowboys B) The paint on your car looks exceptional. I have a '14 as well but I live in NY where it snows constantly and I feel like my paint is dulling.
Old 04-26-2014, 07:47 PM

2014 CLS550
Originally Posted by bigigg
My order, CLS, 650 gc.. saw one yesterday, biiigg wide car, A7.. I really don't like the A7 at all. Only thing I don't like about our car is the tail lights. Take a good look at the tail light, its Massive! But the profile and the front looks soo aggressive and beautiful.
Yea I definitely don't think the S7 (Im using S7 because the price is closer to the CLS than the A7) looks better. However the Gran Coupe is a different story. I think I might like it more. I never went to BMW I just jumped right on the CLS.
Old 04-26-2014, 08:46 PM

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts
2015 C63S AMG
The CLS is a beautiful vehicle, no question!
Old 04-26-2014, 09:57 PM

2014 CLS550
Originally Posted by BD-C63
The CLS is a beautiful vehicle, no question!
As is the C63 sir. I actually thought about going with the C63 or E63 but can't have the rear wheel drive over here in NY.
Old 04-26-2014, 11:56 PM
OBP

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
Lexus SC430, CLS550 4matic, GLK350 4matic, Volvo XC90 T8, E63 S AMG
I did extensive research on both the S7 and the 650GC X drive before deciding to go CLS. Exterior appearance alone, I actually would rank our CLS last though it is not last by much at all. 650 GC first, S7 next and then us. But for me the CLS was a combo of interior and exterior plus perception of value and practicality. The other two competitor cars are a little longer ( especially the 650GC ) which to me was a disadvantage. And once you start considering interior where you spend the most time with the car really, the CLS comes up as the best value. The 650 GC interior probably looks better but the much higher price point was not commensurate with how much better the BMW interior was. And BMW just totally failed when it came to the driver's rear view - I could not see much out of the rear mirror due to the shape ( or angle ?) of the rear windshield. With the S7, I actually went back and test drove one after putting about 4000 miles on our CLS. While many praise Audi interiors, I found myself dissatisfied with the Audi interior and really preferred to be back in the CLS. When you charge more than a similarly equipped CLS and the S7 dash is not top stitched leather, it is not the place for me.

And then when you read on Audiworld how a number of S7 owners had fuel line rupture problems and feared explosions etc... Well I really think I made the right choice.

There is something futuristic and aggressive about our cars' front appearance. Among all three cars, I would say ours looks the meanest. The BMW is pretty and the Audi is striking especially with full LEDs. But when you see a CLS come up behind you during the day, with that combo of LEDs and the large 3 pointed star, I get this, " Damn that looks fierce " thought. Our look was not love at first sight for me at all. I actually disliked our look when the 2012s first came out. But I grew to like it over time as an acquired taste.
Old 04-27-2014, 07:02 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,351 Likes on 2,807 Posts
2012 CLS63
Originally Posted by OBP
I did extensive research on both the S7 and the 650GC X drive before deciding to go CLS. Exterior appearance alone, I actually would rank our CLS last though it is not last by much at all. 650 GC first, S7 next and then us. But for me the CLS was a combo of interior and exterior plus perception of value and practicality. The other two competitor cars are a little longer ( especially the 650GC ) which to me was a disadvantage. And once you start considering interior where you spend the most time with the car really, the CLS comes up as the best value. The 650 GC interior probably looks better but the much higher price point was not commensurate with how much better the BMW interior was. And BMW just totally failed when it came to the driver's rear view - I could not see much out of the rear mirror due to the shape ( or angle ?) of the rear windshield. With the S7, I actually went back and test drove one after putting about 4000 miles on our CLS. While many praise Audi interiors, I found myself dissatisfied with the Audi interior and really preferred to be back in the CLS. When you charge more than a similarly equipped CLS and the S7 dash is not top stitched leather, it is not the place for me.

And then when you read on Audiworld how a number of S7 owners had fuel line rupture problems and feared explosions etc... Well I really think I made the right choice.

There is something futuristic and aggressive about our cars' front appearance. Among all three cars, I would say ours looks the meanest. The BMW is pretty and the Audi is striking especially with full LEDs. But when you see a CLS come up behind you during the day, with that combo of LEDs and the large 3 pointed star, I get this, " Damn that looks fierce " thought. Our look was not love at first sight for me at all. I actually disliked our look when the 2012s first came out. But I grew to like it over time as an acquired taste.
well put
Old 04-28-2014, 06:53 PM

2014 CLS550
Originally Posted by OBP

I agree with most of what you said. I just feel like the CLS looks better than the S7. I actually like the LEDs on the CLS more because theres two tiers of LEDs. When its comes to the 650GC I just feel like its better looking than the CLS. Only the M sport pack 650GC though not the regular 650GC.
Old 04-28-2014, 06:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 188 Likes on 118 Posts
...21 GLE53 24 GLE53
Hype this latest avatar is extremely distracting. She is just sooooooo hot.
Old 04-28-2014, 09:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E89 Z4
I always thought it is an interesting design but not entirely polished on on the drawing board.

Which is of course what many owners want
Old 04-29-2014, 05:29 PM

2014 CLS550
Originally Posted by squid23
I always thought it is an interesting design but not entirely polished on on the drawing board.

Which is of course what many owners want
I completely agree. I think the problem with 650GC is the design was basically adding an extension to an existing car. I think the CLS looks better than the 650i coupe. I think the reason why the GC maybe looks a little better is due to size. I think the fact its longer and wider than the CLS makes it look a little better.

Last edited by nyy13lal24dal9; 04-29-2014 at 05:32 PM.
Old 04-29-2014, 08:24 PM

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts
Mine: 2014 E550 4matic; Hers: 2016 CLS 400 4matic
I think the CLS is a gorgeous car. I would have bought one but found it to be too a bit too expensive for me.

Personally I don't like the rear end of the A/S7s. The 6 series GC is a great car - but too pricey for what it is. And it is a BMW after all . I would rather drive a Benz.
Old 04-30-2014, 08:12 PM

2014 CLS550
Originally Posted by Munich77
I think the CLS is a gorgeous car. I would have bought one but found it to be too a bit too expensive for me.

Personally I don't like the rear end of the A/S7s. The 6 series GC is a great car - but too pricey for what it is. And it is a BMW after all . I would rather drive a Benz.
I agree. I've read a lot of car reviews on the 650GC and some of them say the front of the car looks like a "demented shark". I sort of agree but I still think its a gorgeous car.