Car automatically brakes - fault

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-01-2015, 06:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes CLS350 2012
Car automatically brakes - fault

Hello all,

I own a CLS 350 (C218) made and purchased in 2012. It's equipped with Distronic Plus.

In recent weeks whilst driving and even with Distronic Plus inactive (ie. cruise control not engaged), the car suddenly brakes even in the absence of another vehicle in front.

This has occurred in both high speeds on motorways (80-100 kph) and lower speeds at corners (60 kph). My car has just been returned to me by my dealer who after 2 weeks of observations have stated that no fault exists in my car!

Please can anyone advise what may be possible issues? It sounds like Pre-Safe braking is activating erroneously in the absence of any car in front. A real danger to driving!

There were 2 notable incidents to my vehicle.

One was a collision to my rear right sided bumper at 40 kph (prior to the incident, the problem occurred once a month but since then it's been twice weekly). There was no impact to the front of the vehicle.

And two (could be totally unrelated) was my car failing to start at office (Despite a drive to office) on two occasions using Keyless Go but starting manually using the ignition key. The dealer advised that it was a battery leak and replaced the battery with no further similar incidents since.

The car has a full MB service history with no other faults to the car previously.
Old 09-01-2015, 11:04 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,435 Likes on 3,152 Posts
'71 Pinto
Did dealer check for fault codes both before/after battery replacement. If not, have them revisit at no cost.
Old 09-01-2015, 11:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes CLS350 2012
Originally Posted by konigstiger
Did dealer check for fault codes both before/after battery replacement. If not, have them revisit at no cost.
Thanks for advice mate. Assume this only relates to the battery and not brake issue? Any ideas on brake issue?
Old 09-02-2015, 12:31 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,435 Likes on 3,152 Posts
'71 Pinto
Dealer should have checked for stored/active fault codes before replacing battery these codes should have identified any/all problems inclusive of Distronic. If they claim there were no fault codes concerning your braking complaint have they supply a copy of the MB DAS test results or reissue invoice with findings for future reference if problem worsens.