No usb Charge for iPhone cls 550 2012

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-23-2017, 09:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS 550
No usb Charge for iPhone cls 550 2012

No usb Charge for iPhone cls 550 2012? I have just purchased a 12 cls, I plug in my iPhone 6 and i get a just a brief lighting bolt that goes away (no charge). I have tried several cables and different iPhones as well. Still no charge from the usb port inside the console. I try an android phone it charges fine. Took it to the dealer and he says "its a one way street" is this true? I find it hard to believe a car will charge android only.
Old 02-25-2017, 11:24 AM

CLS 550
Anyone have any information on this????
Old 02-26-2017, 07:54 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
2012 CLS550, 1994 Chevy K1500
Hmmm. I was going to say mine charged...then I went and tried it. Good thing I did. My iPhone 6 and 7 don't charge from the USB port. They buzz, then no charge indicator. The media interface cable (with a Lightning adapter) charges fine. I keep an old iPhone connected to it as a music source. Of course, the iPhones charge fine from my twin port power adapter plugged into the console 12 v power port, right next to the USB port.

The manual states the USB port supplies a maximum of 500 mA power. I suspect that it doesn't supply the proper threshold current for iPhone power management. The COMAND manual states that devices needing more than 500 mA current should use other power sources, i.e., the adjacent power socket. Using a 2.1 A power adapter in the 12 v socket will charge your iPhone faster. The main intended use for the USB port appears to be for things like memory sticks, although it will charge at least some phones.

There are some threads on mbworld reporting this issue with various Mercedes of this vintage.
Old 02-28-2017, 09:56 AM

CLS 550
Thanks!!!

Thanks for the response this was very helpful information. I had no clue what was going on. I am going to purchase the The media interface cable (with a Lightning adapter).

Originally Posted by Stens
Hmmm. I was going to say mine charged...then I went and tried it. Good thing I did. My iPhone 6 and 7 don't charge from the USB port. They buzz, then no charge indicator. The media interface cable (with a Lightning adapter) charges fine. I keep an old iPhone connected to it as a music source. Of course, the iPhones charge fine from my twin port power adapter plugged into the console 12 v power port, right next to the USB port.

The manual states the USB port supplies a maximum of 500 mA power. I suspect that it doesn't supply the proper threshold current for iPhone power management. The COMAND manual states that devices needing more than 500 mA current should use other power sources, i.e., the adjacent power socket. Using a 2.1 A power adapter in the 12 v socket will charge your iPhone faster. The main intended use for the USB port appears to be for things like memory sticks, although it will charge at least some phones.

There are some threads on mbworld reporting this issue with various Mercedes of this vintage.
Old 03-16-2017, 12:32 AM

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
07 TL, 05 350z, 08 MDX
I have a 2014. My USB port charges my iPhone 6. I would rather use the media interface cable but it doesn't fit w my otter box case on the phone.