chronic front end noise (rumble)?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 07:30 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Merc CLS550
chronic front end noise (rumble)?

I recently picked up a 550CLS from an out of town dealer. They had just put on four new Continental brand tires (a nice surprise)
The car is under MB factory warranty
Drove the car home and soon noticed a front end noise which I'd describe as a "low pitch rumble". It is present even at low speeds (30 mph etc)
Took the car to my independent German mechanic to evaluate the noise. He drove it and declared that the front bearings etc seemed good and it was likely the front tires---but he checked them (not on the rack) and said they were not cupped and appeared to not be the problem.
Then took the car to a local MB dealer and had a tech ride around with me. He heard the noise--said it was unacceptable as well and we scheduled an appointment
Just picked up the car--the front bearings were replaced and "slight feathering on the edges of the front tires was noted. However, the repair ticket says "test drove car and no noise was present" (problem fixed)
NOT---I immediately heard the noise as I drove away.
Looking back at the Car Fax on the car--I note that it seems like every 8 K miles or so--this car has had something done to the front tires.
So---
Do these cars eat up tires?
Has anyone else experienced this ?
I am going to go back to this dealer and get some answers--and possibly take it to another local MB dealer for an evaluation--or perhaps even go straight to MB (not sure how I do that yet)
SORRY FOR THE LONG POST--BUT THAT'S MY STORY---AND ANY FEED BACK WOULD BE APPRECIATED
THANKS DAVE
Old 04-25-2017, 09:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 269 Likes on 211 Posts
2019 E300
My front tires worn down to about 60% in about 12000 miles, sounds like there is something wrong with your car's front end. I would try to ask the dealer for the car's maintenance history.
Old 04-25-2017, 09:53 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Merc CLS550
I did--per the Carfax--this car looks like it was exclusively serviced at an MB dealer in New Jersey and another in Delray FLA.--It was bought at Benzel Benz in Edgewater NJ--authorized MB dealer.
My service mgr told me yesterday --it was ILLEGAL for him to provide me service records from other dealers NO KIDDING--(I laughed at him)
I have a feeling I'm going to have to take this up the MB ladder--which will be very frustrating.
Old 04-26-2017, 09:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 269 Likes on 211 Posts
2019 E300
Carfax maintenance records are not always accurate, I had a sales manager show me the maintenance record of a car with the previous owner's name black out, but that was before I bought the car. Good luck.
Old 08-09-2017, 02:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had exactly the same issue on my wife's Cayenne S after tyres were changed. I suspected the tyres to be faulty. However, an alignment check showed the front toe to be pretty out on one side. After correcting this, the noise mostly went away..

If you are going through tyres then best get a full alignment done
Old 08-24-2017, 10:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C300 Sport
If you are going through tyres then best get a full alignment done[/QUOTE]

Yes , you are right .. i had same problems but i had to get a full aliment to sort that out.