New to CLS... questions about driving modes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-22-2018, 11:49 PM

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts
2016 CLS550 4Matic
New to CLS... questions about driving modes

Hi, I just got myself a 2016 CLS550 4Matic (here in Canada) - my first Benz. I’ve read through the Manual, but my brain is full

Some observations:questions...
- There appear to be 3 settings that influence the driving...
1. Suspension: Sport/Comfort - setting stays as desired
2. Transmission: Economy/Sport/Manual - setting reverts to economy at every startup
3. Economy Mode (shut off engine when not moving): On/Off - setting reverts to on at every startup

I gather there is no way to get the last two to remember their last setting?

ive found using the paddles while the transmission is in Economy or Sport mode will temporarily change the mode to Manual but then it reverts soon to its prior mode. It would be nice if this kept it in Manual Mode but I gather that’s not the case.

I have not played with what looks like the ride height switch (or whatever it is) that’s next to the suspension setting switch. What exactly will this do? Just raise the ride height for off-roading?

Coming from a BMW M5, I find the throttle response in this car to be a bit laggy and lazy. Do any settings change the throttle response?

Is there anything I’m overlooking that would allow me to save my preferred drive mode settings so I’m not punching a couple of buttons every time I start the car?

Thanks!
Old 01-23-2018, 10:53 AM

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
2012 CLS 550 Launch Edition
I've heard that the engine mode switches back to Eco on each restart to pass the US Emissions laws.

I only have Economy or Sport on mine, the manual mode engages when I start using the paddles. I haven't noticed it go back into automatic, maybe I'm not leaving it in manual for long enough

The ride height switch just raises the car up. I've only used it once when the roads were slightly flooded.

The laggy/lazy throttle response really bothers me too. I've read some posts on here and it sounds like a remap will remove/reduce the lag.
The following users liked this post:
VirtualRain (01-23-2018)
Old 01-23-2018, 04:12 PM

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts
2015 E550 Coupe
Originally Posted by VirtualRain
Hi, I just got myself a 2016 CLS550 4Matic (here in Canada) - my first Benz. I’ve read through the Manual, but my brain is full

Some observations:questions...
- There appear to be 3 settings that influence the driving...
1. Suspension: Sport/Comfort - setting stays as desired
2. Transmission: Economy/Sport/Manual - setting reverts to economy at every startup
3. Economy Mode (shut off engine when not moving): On/Off - setting reverts to on at every startup

I gather there is no way to get the last two to remember their last setting?

ive found using the paddles while the transmission is in Economy or Sport mode will temporarily change the mode to Manual but then it reverts soon to its prior mode. It would be nice if this kept it in Manual Mode but I gather that’s not the case.

I have not played with what looks like the ride height switch (or whatever it is) that’s next to the suspension setting switch. What exactly will this do? Just raise the ride height for off-roading?

Coming from a BMW M5, I find the throttle response in this car to be a bit laggy and lazy. Do any settings change the throttle response?

Is there anything I’m overlooking that would allow me to save my preferred drive mode settings so I’m not punching a couple of buttons every time I start the car?

Thanks!
Sport mode is more responsive than Economy mode for your transmission setting (starting in 1st gear versus 2nd gear), so the lag will be less. However, if you are trying to emulate a more sports car like responsiveness, you're not going to achieve that. These are of course GT type cars, not sports cars. You could go the tuner route, but that has the potential to impact your power train warranty.
You can buy something called a sprint booster that will change the signal level going to the ECU, so it will take less pedal travel and give you the feel of a more linear pedal response on acceleration. There are several threads on this forum about sprint booster, so you should find plenty of info on the product.
There is a third party product from Mid City engineering that will allow ECO start / stop to be default off instead of default on at start-up. Again, numerous threads here on ECO start / stop and Mid City. You just have to assess what not having to push two buttons at vehicle start-up is worth to you from a financial or annoyance perspective.
MB service will NOT either modify your standard transmission mappings or change the default operation of ECO Start / Stop for you. Lots of folks have tried that route and the response from MB service reps has always been no.
Hope this helps.
VirtualRain (01-23-2018)
Old 01-23-2018, 07:52 PM

2016 CLS550 4Matic
Originally Posted by PaulE550
Sport mode is more responsive than Economy mode for your transmission setting (starting in 1st gear versus 2nd gear), so the lag will be less. However, if you are trying to emulate a more sports car like responsiveness, you're not going to achieve that. These are of course GT type cars, not sports cars. You could go the tuner route, but that has the potential to impact your power train warranty.
You can buy something called a sprint booster that will change the signal level going to the ECU, so it will take less pedal travel and give you the feel of a more linear pedal response on acceleration. There are several threads on this forum about sprint booster, so you should find plenty of info on the product.
There is a third party product from Mid City engineering that will allow ECO start / stop to be default off instead of default on at start-up. Again, numerous threads here on ECO start / stop and Mid City. You just have to assess what not having to push two buttons at vehicle start-up is worth to you from a financial or annoyance perspective.
MB service will NOT either modify your standard transmission mappings or change the default operation of ECO Start / Stop for you. Lots of folks have tried that route and the response from MB service reps has always been no.
Hope this helps.
Thanks for the tips. I'll look into these options... the Sprint Booster might do the trick.

I wonder about the impact of the ECO start/stop on the starter, engine, and battery over time. It seems like the green thing to do but what's the long term impact?
Old 01-23-2018, 09:22 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
2012 CLS550, 1994 Chevy K1500
The ride level switch selects between normal ride height and raised height, which is 20 mm higher. The vehicle lowers 10 mm below normal height automatically at speeds greater than 70 mph. You can’t manually select the lower height. Page 168 of the 2012 manual.

That 20 mm can help in deeper snow, although the ground clearance will never be like my 94 Chevy pickup’s clearance.
VirtualRain (01-23-2018)
Old 01-23-2018, 09:49 PM

2015 E550 Coupe
Thanks for the tips. I'll look into these options... the Sprint Booster might do the trick.

I wonder about the impact of the ECO start/stop on the starter, engine, and battery over time. It seems like the green thing to do but what's the long term impact?
While MB claims no impact to the starter, I personally don't buy it. If you use your car as a daily driver and are regularly stuck in bumper to bumper city traffic, a typical daily commute might involve 50 or more starts and stops. That is at least 250 additional restarts due to ECO Start / Stop each week. That is over 12K additional restarts a year. Sure if you only keep the car for three or four years, then the starter is likely to hold up that long and end up being a problem for the next owner. However, if you keep a vehicle longer or are the second or third owner, then the negligible gas saved by ECO isn't worth the shortened lifespan on the starter.
Old 01-24-2018, 11:08 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
cls550
well, at least in Canada you get folding mirrors...
Old 01-24-2018, 11:25 AM

2015 E550 Coupe
Originally Posted by kaetamer
You get them in the U.S. too. Standard equipment as of 2015.
Old 01-24-2018, 11:29 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
cls550
figures, i need them and ive got a 2014. rats!
Old 01-24-2018, 12:05 PM

I need want them too - 2012 here. I can't believe they weren't included on US models until 2015
Old 01-24-2018, 02:27 PM

2016 CLS550 4Matic
Originally Posted by kaetamer
Yeah but the number of times I really need them here... I'm not sure it's that compelling a feature with the parking facilities we have in North America. I can understand the need in Europe where streets are extremely narrow and parking space is at a premium. I guess they are handy for automated car washes. From my pessimistic viewpoint, it's just one more thing that's likely to break just after the warranty expires
Old 01-24-2018, 02:31 PM

2016 CLS550 4Matic
While MB claims no impact to the starter, I personally don't buy it. If you use your car as a daily driver and are regularly stuck in bumper to bumper city traffic, a typical daily commute might involve 50 or more starts and stops. That is at least 250 additional restarts due to ECO Start / Stop each week. That is over 12K additional restarts a year. Sure if you only keep the car for three or four years, then the starter is likely to hold up that long and end up being a problem for the next owner. However, if you keep a vehicle longer or are the second or third owner, then the negligible gas saved by ECO isn't worth the shortened lifespan on the starter.
Yeah, that's a lot of added wear and tear on the affected components. I also notice that when my car restarts after I release the brake pedal, the restart not always a smooth process... there's a bit of a bump or movement in the car that's noticeable and not pleasant that I assume is coming from the drivetrain reloading with torque.
Old 01-24-2018, 03:58 PM

2015 E550 Coupe
Yeah, that's a lot of added wear and tear on the affected components. I also notice that when my car restarts after I release the brake pedal, the restart not always a smooth process... there's a bit of a bump or movement in the car that's noticeable and not pleasant that I assume is coming from the drivetrain reloading with torque.
Honestly, after the first few weeks of ownership and seeing how little gasoline savings ECO was likely to produce (about 1 mpg on average), I simply got into the habit of disabling ECO Start /Stop upon starting the vehicle. Restart is always nice and smooth and no real vehicle shutter if I leave ECO Start / Stop on, but for making turns at a stop light you're adding an additional second or two. Which around here can get you T-boned real fast. So it's also a matter of personal safety as well for living in this area. To me, the gasoline savings is negligible for all the additional and unnecessary wear and tear ECO potentially causes. I generally keep a vehicle at least 7 to 10 years, if it is "a keeper", which this one is. So why accelerate the deterioration of a part that is a real pain to change? I had to swap out the starter motor in my Lexus a while back and you have to tear down the top half the engine to get at it. Took over four hours to do. I would expect having to do the starter motor on these M278 engines would take the same or longer. Anyway, enjoy your CLS. You'll have a blast driving it. Last of the non-AMG V8's.
VirtualRain (01-25-2018)
Old 01-25-2018, 02:03 AM

2016 CLS550 4Matic
Honestly, after the first few weeks of ownership and seeing how little gasoline savings ECO was likely to produce (about 1 mpg on average), I simply got into the habit of disabling ECO Start /Stop upon starting the vehicle. Restart is always nice and smooth and no real vehicle shutter if I leave ECO Start / Stop on, but for making turns at a stop light you're adding an additional second or two. Which around here can get you T-boned real fast. So it's also a matter of personal safety as well for living in this area. To me, the gasoline savings is negligible for all the additional and unnecessary wear and tear ECO potentially causes. I generally keep a vehicle at least 7 to 10 years, if it is "a keeper", which this one is. So why accelerate the deterioration of a part that is a real pain to change? I had to swap out the starter motor in my Lexus a while back and you have to tear down the top half the engine to get at it. Took over four hours to do. I would expect having to do the starter motor on these M278 engines would take the same or longer. Anyway, enjoy your CLS. You'll have a blast driving it. Last of the non-AMG V8's.
I agree. I think this will quickly become my MO as well.

BTW, you say "the last of the non-AMG V8s"... what are they doing with the new CLS for engines?
Old 01-25-2018, 07:25 AM

I agree. I think this will quickly become my MO as well.

BTW, you say "the last of the non-AMG V8s"... what are they doing with the new CLS for engines?
Straight 6
Old 02-23-2018, 09:16 AM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
15' CLS400
The eco-start feature has been around for many years now on pretty much the whole lineup of Mercedes. I haven't seen any major issues in the threads.

http://media.daimler.com/marsMediaSi...ml?oid=9361921
Old 02-23-2018, 10:01 AM

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
2017 CLS550
II have had my 2017 CLS550 for nearly a year and a half and have never had to raise the vehicle. The car lowers (I think) when in sport mode, and as one poster said previously, whenever the car goes over 70mph. Sport mode is a blast to drive in and totally changes the character of this car. As far as ECO mode start/stop, I never use it and it has become second nature to me that whenever I get in the car the first thing I do after starting the motor is pushing the button to disable the feature. I don't even think twice about it.
Old 02-23-2018, 02:04 PM

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
2014 Mercedes Benz CLS 550
Get her tuned congrats! just push that eco button off when you get in! It'll become automatic to you!!
Old 02-26-2018, 06:04 PM

2016 CLS550 4Matic
Originally Posted by TheFranchizeSLB
Get her tuned congrats! just push that eco button off when you get in! It'll become automatic to you!!
Renntech has told me they can default the Eco mode to off as part of their tune. That’s a nice side benefit.
Old 02-27-2018, 01:05 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
2013 CLS550
tune the car already!!!!

I actually use the height adjust frequently as it helps with approach angles to some of the driveways and parking entry around town
Old 03-06-2018, 11:26 PM

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
CLS 550

Renntech has told me they can default the Eco mode to off as part of their tune. That’s a nice side benefit.
Did you tune it yet? Curious if it adds too much wear on other components .
Old 03-07-2018, 02:38 AM

2016 CLS550 4Matic
Originally Posted by Suppaa Mario
Did you tune it yet? Curious if it adds too much wear on other components .
Not yet. Maybe in a month or two.

I suspect if you drive it hard, it will stress things and result in added wear, whether you tune or not... but with a tune it’s amplified to a much greater extent. Nothing is free. All that added power will have an impact on fuel consumption and stress/wear. Be sure of it. That’s why I like RennTechs intermediate tune. It doesn’t advance the timings to extremes so it will run on normal 91 gas and keeps boost to moderate high levels.
Old 03-07-2018, 10:55 AM

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
CLS 550

Not yet. Maybe in a month or two.

I suspect if you drive it hard, it will stress things and result in added wear, whether you tune or not... but with a tune it’s amplified to a much greater extent. Nothing is free. All that added power will have an impact on fuel consumption and stress/wear. Be sure of it. That’s why I like RennTechs intermediate tune. It doesn’t advance the timings to extremes so it will run on normal 91 gas and keeps boost to moderate high levels.
Let me know how that works out. I am debating about it as well.