Turbo failure

Old 09-25-2018, 05:57 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2012 CLS550 Launch Edition, 2011 GL550
Turbo failure

Hi everyone,

I'm hoping that there is someone here which can explain this issue. My 2012 CLS550 was very loud when it is first started, even after warmed up it would tick and rattle like a bad valve. It has been at the dealer for the past two weeks. They told me that both turbos are faulty and need to be replaced. I asked the SA why do the turbos need to be replaced and are the replacements going to have the same issue and the guy could not answer me.

Is anyone aware of what is failing with the turbo to warrant a replacement and are the new ones revised to fix this flaw?

Could this be misdiagnosed or also have the timing chain tensioner issue?

Should I just get rid of this car?
Old 10-01-2018, 11:25 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2016 GLE400
Turbo's

What is your odometer reading?
Old 10-02-2018, 12:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 992 Likes on 764 Posts
2003 CL 600
Timing chain tensioner issue is a rattle on startup only.

Both turbos shouldn't be faulty but i've seen a couple make wastegate rattle noises, usually only one side though, not both unless there is some other issue.
Old 10-02-2018, 10:51 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2012 CLS550 Launch Edition, 2011 GL550
I have 93K miles. The reason I was given to replace both turbos was that they were allowing to much air. I think only the right side turbo had the wastegate rattling. I still have the startup up noise but they tell me there is no issue with the tensioners at this time. I am not real happy with this dealer, no surprise there. They first tried to say the rattle was from the rear of the car, in the bumper. I had to go point out the rattling part, which was the wastegate, and then they said both turbos had to be replaced. I will have to take it in again just before the warranty is up to report the tensioner rattling on startup.