OBD2 Tune

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-18-2019, 10:18 AM

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts
2016 CLS550 4Matic
Originally Posted by SALES@OETUNING
Does the MyGenius copy my factory tune to the device?
No. Not for MB MED17 ECUs
Or is there just a generic factory tune loaded on the device from you? How does that work?
The MyGenius reads the software identifiers for your specific factory version corresponding to the ECU hardware part number. We have a database of MB factory versions that modified files are made from. Each tuned file is packed with the ORIGINAL version to be loaded to the MyGenius. When programming back to the ECU, the "tunable data region" of the code is programmed to your ECU leaving the rolling code data region specific to your car intact.
i have to say, that’s as clear as mud to me.

Lets use an example...

i buy and apply your tune, then one day, i take my car to MB for service, so I flash it back to stock with the MyGenius. During the service, MB updates the ECU software (this was actually done on my car last year). What happens then? Can I reapply the tune? Do I need to contact you and get an updated tune? What happens?

Thanks.
The following 2 users liked this post by VirtualRain:
johbe646 (04-09-2019), Tbbt CLS (03-18-2019)
Old 04-09-2019, 05:22 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
BMW M550d
Sorry, long post coming.

I bought the ecu tune from OE Tuning for my GLE450 AMG. I got the OBD device two days later. Two weeks later, still waiting for the tune and several emails unanswered I called and spoke to Gabe at OE Tuning.

Apparently my ecu had an unknown software version on it, likely what would happen if your mb dealer makes an update to the ecu during service. They wanted me to mail them my ecu for reading. The alternative was to find a local shop to read the ecu for them and then send that data.

I am still waiting for OE to email me instructions for reading at a local shop, this was agreed on on Monday, but email doesnt appear to be their strong side. I might end up mailing the ecu anyway but I find the lack of a reply here and to my emails a bit worrisome.

The point I am trying to make though is, if the dealer changes your ecu during service, will you in fact have to mail OE Tuning your ecu to get the updated file? Wouldnt it the negate the benefit of using OBD to tune. I hope I am wrong.

/J

Last edited by johbe646; 04-09-2019 at 05:31 PM.
Old 04-09-2019, 05:38 PM
SPONSOR

Received 130 Likes on 114 Posts
OE Tuning C63 AMG
Originally Posted by johbe646
Sorry, long post coming.

I bought the ecu tune from OE Tuning for my GLE450 AMG. I got the OBD device two days later. Two weeks later, still waiting for the tune and several emails unanswered I called and spoke to Gabe at OE Tuning.

Apparently my ecu had an unknown software version on it, likely what would happen if your mb dealer makes an update to the ecu during service. They wanted me to mail them my ecu for reading. The alternative was to find a local shop to read the ecu for them and then send that data.

I am still waiting for OE to email me instructions for reading at a local shop, this was agreed on on Monday, but email doesnt appear to be their strong side. I might end up mailing the ecu anyway but I find the lack of a reply here and to my emails a bit worrisome.

The point I am trying to make though is, if the dealer changes your ecu during service, will you in fact have to mail OE Tuning your ecu to get the updated file? Wouldnt it the negate the benefit of using OBD to tune. I hope I am wrong.

/J
As OBD2 flashing and MyGenius support for MED17.7.3.1 ECUs has only been released for 4-5 months, not all software versions are known or in the online database unfortunately. Each tuner has their own database and access to Dimsport database for original factory stock files. The dilemma we see in this instance is when you are overseas and sending the ECU to us in the USA for bench read for adding of your read to database and MyGenius support is not practical for many reasons..... For US customers we cover costs of night shipping of the ECU to us and back to the customer for the purpose of this read. We can offer this to you as well, as long as the downtime etc is ok with you. As long as the ECU arrives by 11am daily we guaranteed same day service and ship-out.
Old 04-09-2019, 05:54 PM

BMW M550d
I have received the instructions from Gabe(?) now, thanks. I am sure we will sort this out. As agreed I will get back to you after calling some of my local shops. If they cant read the ecu we can explore the mailing option. Thanks for replying to me personally here.

Putting that aside. How likely is it that future mercedes updates to the ecu will require sending it back to you again?

/J
Old 04-09-2019, 06:05 PM
SPONSOR

Received 130 Likes on 114 Posts
OE Tuning C63 AMG
Originally Posted by johbe646
I have received the instructions from Gabe(?) now, thanks. I am sure we will sort this out. As agreed I will get back to you after calling some of my local shops. If they cant read the ecu we can explore the mailing option. Thanks for replying to me personally here.

Putting that aside. How likely is it that future mercedes updates to the ecu will require sending it back to you again?

/J
It is highly unlikely MB will update software on your vehicle during service unless they are replacing a module under warranty (eg command until, backup camera , ect).
Once your OEM file is read, it is highly unlikely they will change the version at any time. If so, we do offer free re-flashing for all MyGenius customers.
Old 04-19-2019, 10:13 AM

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 CLS550C4 (C218)
Hey VirtulRain,

there's an update to the RennTech website. They now do OBD2 port tuning via a handheld for all updates. No longer have to go to a garage or send parts out for updates!! Both the Full tune and the partial tune are $2480.00 now.

Here's the descriptor:

RENNtech HHT (hand held tuner) allows you the unlimited ability to switch between tuned and stock ECU programming and requires no ECU removal!

Our proprietary tuning module stores both the RENNtech tuned file and your vehicles stock file. The module plugs directly into the OBD2 port and delivers the file you choose directly to the ECU. Programming takes only a few minutes and the vehicle can be reflashed at any time as many times as you wish.

Our proprietary ECU upgrade for the Mercedes M278 Biturbo engine offers huge gains in performance across the entire RPM range without sacrificing around town comfort or daily driver reliability.

With the newest update of their Software Upgrade for the M278 – 4.7L V8 BiTurbo, RENNtech boosts the 550-Series to AMG Power Levels. The RENNtech upgraded M278 now produces up to 540 HP and 705 LB-FT at crank.

Compared to power numbers by Mercedes-Benz, the CLS 550 gains up to 105 HP and 262 LB-FT. This Software update delivers up to 10 HP and 99 LB-FT more than the previous version.

The vast amount of increased torque across the entire RPM range gives the 550 an extra edge to compete with AMG powered vehicles. All this without sacrificing around town comfort and daily driver reliability.

https://www.renntechmercedes.com/ind...s/mb/cls-class

Last edited by wmkizer; 04-19-2019 at 10:17 AM.
Old 04-19-2019, 04:09 PM

BMW M550d
Originally Posted by SALES@OETUNING
It is highly unlikely MB will update software on your vehicle during service unless they are replacing a module under warranty (eg command until, backup camera , ect).
Once your OEM file is read, it is highly unlikely they will change the version at any time. If so, we do offer free re-flashing for all MyGenius customers.
Just a semi of topic update. I have since called OETuning several times without reply, sent pm through mbworld and sent emails. There is noone there, or I am being dodged. I have now cancelled my order via email and requested a refund for the tune, since I cant send it overseas to the US. We`ll see how this goes, Im out USD1195 plus the ODB device. It hurts.

/J
Old 05-06-2019, 02:41 AM

2016 CLS550 4Matic
It seems like the right way to do an OBD tune, is for the tuner to send you the MyGenius, you then use that to read the ID file from your ECU, the tuner then uses the ID to get the right ECU file, then they send you the various tunes, including a copy of the factory file, to load into the MyGenius, which you can then flash the car.

I found this is what VRTuning is doing, which makes total sense...

Why are are none of the tuners active on this board doing it this way? I assume they are just guessing at the factory ID file which is prone to become an issue with some cars that have had dealer reflashes such as mine and the guy above.

EuroCharged and OETuning... what do you guys have to say about this?!
The following users liked this post:
Tbbt CLS (05-06-2019)
Old 05-06-2019, 06:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E550
Bought the Renntech tune and the OBD 2 tuner is dead. Called them up, and explained the tuner has no power.

They told me the led may be bad, but that I should have the tune on it. Went for a ride and no change, car still has the same power and the limiter is still at 130 mph.

Guy on the phone told me he would send me a return label, did not get it, he may have forgotten.

Shipping was fast though I ordered on Friday and got it today, just too bad it did not work.

Too late to call back today, but will try tomorrow.
Old 05-07-2019, 02:31 AM

2016 CLS550 4Matic
So it turns out that Eurocharged (and I’m guessing OE) follow the same process as VRTuning above... you use the My Genius to read your ECU ID and then they send you a tune to match. It seems if your ECU file is in their Database Library, all is good. If not, you’re going to be in a situation where the tuner needs your ECU to read out the file to add it to the library.
Old 05-07-2019, 02:32 AM

2016 CLS550 4Matic
Originally Posted by TwinBoost
Bought the Renntech tune and the OBD 2 tuner is dead. Called them up, and explained the tuner has no power.

They told me the led may be bad, but that I should have the tune on it. Went for a ride and no change, car still has the same power and the limiter is still at 130 mph.

Guy on the phone told me he would send me a return label, did not get it, he may have forgotten.

Shipping was fast though I ordered on Friday and got it today, just too bad it did not work.

Too late to call back today, but will try tomorrow.
Seems like bad luck. Hope you get this sorted. Let us know.
Old 05-09-2019, 11:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E550
Update on Renntech HandHeld:

On Tuesday morning at around 7:30 I called and left a message, did not get a call back so I called at 10:30 and the rep told he had sent an email with the RMA at 9:45.

Got the replacement tuner today after sending mine back. I must say Renntech shipping is fast.

Plugged the new unit same thing, I was starting to worry that it may be the OBD2 port. Plugged in a bluetooth one I had lying around and it came up right away.

At this point I am pulling my hair, and then I noticed when it was delivered that the unit was hot out of the shipping box. So I wondered what if something is happening to it during shipping that is causing the unit not to get power from the car. So I looked at the unit and saw a mini USB plug, I had a cord for it and I got the USB cigarette charger and plugged in the unit and the LED came on!!!

Ok I thought what if I put the car in 2 on the key, plug in the handheld and then power it with the USB,

Boom the light came OK....then the red light came ok.....waited 2 minutes green light come...my sadness was turning into happyness.

All sorts of messages came up that I was kind of expecting (Do not change gear take it to the dealer etc). So I cycle the ignition. And started the car...so far so good.

Take the car for a spin but was low in fuel gave a dab whoosh!!! Ok something happened, transmission is shifting differently, like its learning again.

Picked up my girl, went to put fuel. Drove to 17....hmmm I mean Mexico, and holy ****!!!

Took it to 140 and my girl was silent....let go of the gas, and I knew it was tuned.

I know it will go faster that 140, but mine was limited to 130 so...

So now I have to wait for the 3rd unit and explain what I have done.

So far I am happy.

Props to John @ Renntech for the fast shipping and attention, I think this may be UPS fault. Renntech put the unit in good bubblewrap. The unit was just hot as heck when it comes out the box.