Checking Engine Oil Level

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-29-2019, 02:15 PM

Received 141 Likes on 124 Posts
W218 Stage 2, E85
Checking Engine Oil Level

I am having trouble reading the exact engine oil level in my C218. When I pull out the dipstick, it comes out dry af. Insert it back in and take it out, then I can see the level. But sometimes it shows different level the next couple of weeks. In my older W211, E350, I was able to check the engine oil level from the dashboard and also the life of battery. But in the CLS, I can't seem to find those features here.

I know these cars burn engine oil, but it shouldn't be too drastic.

What other ways to check the engine oil? Dipstick style isn't giving me a peace of mind about the level and am afraid that I might overfill it one day or the other way around.

Also, does this car give a warning of low engine oil? If that's something someone happens to know?

Any thoughts, suggestions?
Old 05-30-2019, 08:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 CLS 550 4Matic / 00 SL600
A "dry" dipstik on the C218 was also surprising for me the first time but is normal for this type when you pull the stick first time after driving. This is due to an air pocket in the dipstick tube (dipstick/tube is sealed on top) and needs to "breathe" before it shows the correct level. In addition to that, a "check engine oil level" message shows up in the dasboard (including accoustic warning) if the level gets too low. According to the manual, the difference between "min" and "max" on the dipstick markings is approx. 1 liter. However, there's no fully electric oil level measurement as I had it on my former C219 but since my 500/550 barely burns any oil between the regular inspections, i can live with that.

Old 05-30-2019, 12:55 PM

Received 141 Likes on 124 Posts
W218 Stage 2, E85
Originally Posted by - HP -
A "dry" dipstik on the C218 was also surprising for me the first time but is normal for this type when you pull the stick first time after driving. This is due to an air pocket in the dipstick tube (dipstick/tube is sealed on top) and needs to "breathe" before it shows the correct level. In addition to that, a "check engine oil level" message shows up in the dasboard (including accoustic warning) if the level gets too low. According to the manual, the difference between "min" and "max" on the dipstick markings is approx. 1 liter. However, there's no fully electric oil level measurement as I had it on my former C219 but since my 500/550 barely burns any oil between the regular inspections, i can live with that.

Hmmm, makes sense. Yea I was kind of disappointed that there is no way to check the oil level through the dashboard screen like the older models. That was a sleek way to check a lot of things. Even to reset the readings for the oil change.
So I guess I shouldn't panic that the first time I take the dipstick out and it comes out dry haha.

Quick question, after how many miles the trans oil is to be changed? 40-50k miles?
Old 05-18-2023, 05:08 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
2019 C63S.......2016 GLE 63.........2008 S63
I check my dip stick and only one side shows oil going all the way up to the max line but the other side just has some streaks or no oil and I mean the other side of the measuring stick for oil. Is this normal?