2012 CLS550 Smokes when coming to a stop

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-01-2020, 12:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 CLS 550
2012 CLS550 Smokes when coming to a stop

Hello, I have a CLS550 with 91K miles on it. It does not smoke all of the time but if I have running her fast or floor it from a complete stop it will emit a small cloud of white smoke when coming to I stop. It does not do this when I drive it normally. From what I understand it may be an over supply of oil to the turbo chargers burning off. Does any one else experience this? Also does any one know if the CLS550 has oil pressure regulators to the turbo chargers to regulate the oil pressure? I have seen aftermarket units that look like this may solve my problem. Also I have the eurocharged tune with brings to HP to 530HP and 600 ftlbs of torque.
Old 01-02-2020, 08:15 PM

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
2014 CLS550, 2016 Audi A7
It might also be worn turbos. The seals and bearings may be out of clearance and leaking oil past them and burning off. Higher rpms will send more oil at higher pressures, which may be the reason it only shows under hard driving. I'm afraid that it will get to the point of eventually doing it all the time as the turbos wear more and more. You may need new turbos(or used). I think your turbos may be slowing dying. Any other symptoms? Noises from the turbos?
Old 01-14-2020, 11:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 CLS 550
No not at all....But from what I understand turbo charged drag racers exhibit these same symptoms....also it does not do it everytime….
Old 01-14-2020, 08:49 PM

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
2014 CLS550, 2016 Audi A7
It's weird. I have an OE Tune on my car, but I dont get any smoke. I do hear a high pitched whistle if i do a hard run and the turbos are still fairly cool. It's probably boost bleed. But no smoke. The noise goes away when the turbos are at regular temps. Only thing i can think of is the higher oil pressures from higher rpms is bleeding through the seals and burning off. I personally wouldn't worry until I started noticing low boost or noises that indicate a grenading turbo. You can try to do a compression test on your cylinders too to rule out worn rings on the pistons. But I would hate to think an m278 with only 91k would have worn out rings. But other than those two things, I'm at a loss. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.