-12 CLS hard shifting in new transmission.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-29-2020, 07:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS
-12 CLS hard shifting in new transmission.

I would like to start with to thank you for letting me in this forum and I look forward to meet new MB friends in here.

I am a proud CLS w218 owner, but I do have a problem that I hope someone in here can help me solve.
My local dealer tells me that they have done all they can, but the problem is still there!Here are the background:

The car is a CLS 350 CDI 2012 with aprox 60.000 miles (100000km) and have the 7 gear transmission.

During summer 2019 I notice that when the car is cold the automatic transmission shifts very hard from first to second and even harder from second to third, not every time and not when you drive a bit more aggressive, but when I drive carefully in out 30km speed limit neighborhood.

I take the car to my local Mercedes dealer and ask if they can help me, they say that the car needs a gearbox adaption so I leave the car there and they do this.

I get the car back and it is exactly the same.. they tell me that they can’t do any more and I have to live with it.

I then contact a large dealer more far away, and they say that they will now look at the car so I bring the car there.
When they have read the car for failure codes I get an answer that they need to change the control unit for the engine because there is a communication problem between the engine and the gearbox. They change the control box and make a new adaption on the gearbox, I get the car back and still the same problem!

Next step, they tell me that they can’t do any more so the next step is to change the complete transmission.

They get a go and the transmission incl converter is changed. I get the car back and the first gears are very smooth and then when it comes to third to fourth gear, the shifting is hard.. baam! Once again, not every time, but when I drive normal relaxed driving! If I floor the throttle or drive tuffer, the shifting is very smooth.

The dealer get the car back two more times and make two new gearbox adaptions, but still the same. I have now tried to by myself provoke to get this hard shifting and it appears in aprox 50km/h and with little of throttle, you can provoke hard shifting pretty easy with the shift paddles going from 3rd to 4th. ONLY these 2 gears!

I have been working with cars for close to 40 years and I don’t agree with the dealer that I have to live with it and they can’t do anything more!
In my opinion there must be some kind of sensor that gives the wrong signal just at these circumstances. A sensor that don’t send a failure code, but not sending the correct signal.

I hope that some one here can help me out and tell me how to proceed and feel free to contact me for questions.

Many thanks
Old 02-29-2020, 08:58 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,405 Likes on 2,848 Posts
2012 CLS63
Welcome to the forums and very sorry to read about this farce with the dealers........they're practically worthless in my opinion which is why I only go to an independent service shop that only works on Mercs. Are there any places like this where you live? Good luck to you and keep us posted on the progress!
The following users liked this post:
Tbbt CLS (02-29-2020)
Old 03-06-2020, 08:18 AM

Received 121 Likes on 109 Posts
C63 Vert
Sounds like they did really try though. I hate the “theres nothing wrong” pitch.
Old 03-06-2020, 10:28 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,435 Likes on 3,152 Posts
'71 Pinto
If dealership has not already done so, request shop foreman contact MB for technical assistance.