Staggered VS Square

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-24-2020 | 12:36 PM

2014 cls550
Staggered VS Square

So I'm sure this has been posted here I just can't seem to find it!

My car came factory staggered, looking for some wheel options but the pricing for staggered wheels and tires is insane. I thought about running square but a friend told me that it affects handling performance. In no way am I taking this thing on a track or doing any crazy turns etc. Question is will I really feel the driving difference between staggered and square?

Thanks in advance!
Old 03-24-2020 | 03:51 PM
Veteran: Marine Corp

2015 CLS550C4 (C218)
Ditto: The manual says it’s fine for winter operations however, it does not imply that a square setup is fine year around.

Old 03-27-2020 | 06:47 PM

2005 SL500, 2015 CLS400
Usually nothing bad will happen if you switch to square setup. I own a SL500, which for a few years (2003-2004) came with square setup, then they switched to staggered. And no, for regular performance it will not affect your suspension whatsoever. The only downside is that all the MB (well, most of them, still not used to the A class being FWD) are rear wheel drive. Thus you need that extra grip to put the power down to the road.

Now, are you looking for a whole new set of wheels and tires? I got a pretty decent deal from the used market, considering i spent some time looking for them. Also, if you're going a lower profile - a tire size that is not wide spread - you will have to pay extra. The most common sizes of tires and wheels are not that expensive, even new.

Keep also in mind that you own a MB - the leader in luxury and performance. Because of that everyone assumes automatically that all the MB owners don't care about the price when it comes to aftermarket stuff. You end up paying premium price even for something that is not MB.... But, as i said, with enough research and patience you can get great deals on the market. For example i have no problem buying a set of wheels from a forum member, as long as they're in good shape and so on.

Some food for thoughts
Regards.

P.S.

You will have to be careful if your car is 4matic - all the tires have to be same size and the system has to recognize that, otherwise it will not work.