H pipe, X pipe, or straight pipes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-20-2020, 10:05 PM

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts
2014 CLS 550
Originally Posted by Roop94
Ohhh I see. Yeah, I'm hoping to get near those numbers as well, 550whp and 600wtq. I am thinking about the Meth/Water kit later on down the line. I try to gap these expensive mods haha. I just hope that nothing blows up on this car lol. But DPs alone probably wouldn't be enough for me to reach those numbers on wheels. I haven't dyno'ed mine yet. I was thinking of dyno after Stage 2. So I went to the shop and he said he will do the DPs with flanges, X pipe, and put my mufflers back on for $750. Reasonable price.

Are you trying to do your set-up of DPs, X pipe, and straight pipe from there? No mufflers? Just an X pipe? I am going to ask him that when I go to him on Wednesday if he can allow me to do that for a few days and if I don't like it if he can install my mufflers back up. I'm going to ask him about that.

Oh, you have quite a few plans there haha. I like Escalades. But I want the G-Wagon LOL. I think Fi Exhaust is the loudest full exhaust set-up I've listened to online. But that steep price is keeping me 420 miles away from it lol :P

lmao I hope I don’t blow mine up either ! And that’s a great price for downpipes and everything. I was going to dps to straight pipe all the way to tips now I’m going to throw an xpipe in the middle where I had the resonators taken out, and straight it out to tips.

my wife saw the 2021 commercial for the Escalade and she won’t change her mind even though I sent her a pic of a nice black g65 at the dealer when I had to go today bc I broke a part installing my Weistec asv today and she was like, no I still want the new Escalade. As long as I get her that truck that gives me free reign in the summer time lol. Anyway a few guys and I installed the asv today( I pretty much watched lol ) I will be taking her to shop for dps instal here sometime next week, gotta lot of things going on with work but it’s only in there for a day once in. Then it’s time for the tune .....

Last edited by Dblok1113; 06-20-2020 at 10:19 PM.
Old 06-21-2020, 04:47 PM

Received 141 Likes on 124 Posts
W218 Stage 2, E85
Originally Posted by Dblok1113
lmao I hope I don’t blow mine up either ! And that’s a great price for downpipes and everything. I was going to dps to straight pipe all the way to tips now I’m going to throw an xpipe in the middle where I had the resonators taken out, and straight it out to tips.

my wife saw the 2021 commercial for the Escalade and she won’t change her mind even though I sent her a pic of a nice black g65 at the dealer when I had to go today bc I broke a part installing my Weistec asv today and she was like, no I still want the new Escalade. As long as I get her that truck that gives me free reign in the summer time lol. Anyway a few guys and I installed the asv today( I pretty much watched lol ) I will be taking her to shop for dps instal here sometime next week, gotta lot of things going on with work but it’s only in there for a day once in. Then it’s time for the tune .....
Ahhh 2021 Esc. They look nice. Idk if it's just me, a few of the pictures made them seem a little identical to some of the Range Rover models, just the front end lol. Ford Explorer as well haha. But they ride very comfy, though. Haha letting her win this time.

Yeah, I'm dropping the car off this coming Wed. And I am going to talk to him if we can do a trial run for a few days with only X pipe and everything a straight pipe. We shall wait and see. Welding muffs back on shouldn't take more than 15-25 minutes if I decide to put them back on.
The following users liked this post:
Dblok1113 (06-21-2020)
Old 06-22-2020, 11:34 PM

W218 Stage 2, E85
I'm postponing my DPs installation, unfortunately. My tuner hasn't responded to my emails regarding the Stage 2 file. Until I hear back from him, I'm going to hold off from getting the DPs. Because his price is very low compared to what the corporate tells over the phone. I'm very saddened lol. :/
Old 06-23-2020, 01:49 AM

2014 CLS 550
I'm postponing my DPs installation, unfortunately. My tuner hasn't responded to my emails regarding the Stage 2 file. Until I hear back from him, I'm going to hold off from getting the DPs. Because his price is very low compared to what the corporate tells over the phone. I'm very saddened lol. :/
dang, well I hope they get back to you on it. It’s looking like next week sometime for me. Got some things that have come up for work, little bummed myself . I got the asv valve in, filters in, new tires, and this held held thing I’m itching to plug in but I’m going to patiently look at this box for another week in my garage until I get her in for the dp and xpipe installation. Hopefully early next week! Will keep posted
Old 06-24-2020, 01:18 AM

W218 Stage 2, E85
Yeah bro I was excited to get mine done tomorrow. I've been waiting for this moment for almost a year lol
I'm planning to do DPs, X, and muffs. A friend of mine that has it...said it's loud enough. He sent me a GoPro video...sounds pretty good. I think I'm going that route than just the X pipe.

So about the ASV, is that really necessary? I mean yes, it does release excess pressurized air, but do the 63 models have ASV from the factory? Does any MB model, whether the non-AMG or AMG model comes with ASV from the factory?
Dblok1113 (06-24-2020)
Old 06-24-2020, 07:38 AM

2014 CLS 550
Yeah bro I was excited to get mine done tomorrow. I've been waiting for this moment for almost a year lol
I'm planning to do DPs, X, and muffs. A friend of mine that has it...said it's loud enough. He sent me a GoPro video...sounds pretty good. I think I'm going that route than just the X pipe.

So about the ASV, is that really necessary? I mean yes, it does release excess pressurized air, but do the 63 models have ASV from the factory? Does any MB model, whether the non-AMG or AMG model comes with ASV from the factory?
I havent been waiting that long I bet you are itching, I like that setup you mentioned.

as far as asv, I think in 2017 they started using asv on some models but I know from what I’ve read they are good for the turbos, and I got 114k on mine and eventually after summer would like to add bigger turbos as well. So figured it would be good to have. I could care less what another car has, I care about my car running at the best it possibly can run considering the miles and the way I beat down on the car. That’s why I thought it was necessary.
Old 06-24-2020, 10:58 AM

W218 Stage 2, E85
I havent been waiting that long I bet you are itching, I like that setup you mentioned.

as far as asv, I think in 2017 they started using asv on some models but I know from what I’ve read they are good for the turbos, and I got 114k on mine and eventually after summer would like to add bigger turbos as well. So figured it would be good to have. I could care less what another car has, I care about my car running at the best it possibly can run considering the miles and the way I beat down on the car. That’s why I thought it was necessary.

I have not looked into ASV yet. Maybe further down the road when I think about the meth/water kit. VRP sells it as a package, meth kit + asv. So I might do that maybe a year or two from now. I need to do some research on asv. I try to find out pros and cons before I run a mod on C218, cuz I don't want it to blow up LOL

Yeah, I take my time when doing upgrades lol. I'm a full-time student and work part-time, so I do the mods when I can while saving and investing for the long-term
Old 06-24-2020, 11:39 AM

2014 CLS 550
I have not looked into ASV yet. Maybe further down the road when I think about the meth/water kit. VRP sells it as a package, meth kit + asv. So I might do that maybe a year or two from now. I need to do some research on asv. I try to find out pros and cons before I run a mod on C218, cuz I don't want it to blow up LOL

Yeah, I take my time when doing upgrades lol. I'm a full-time student and work part-time, so I do the mods when I can while saving and investing for the long-term
i was so close to doing the whole kit as well but realized I still had to drive it as a daily for a few more months and I want to do more research on it before I pull the trigger but def a mod I got my eye on. I really want to see the potential of this thing but need a daily before I go super crazy with it. I don’t want to blow mine up either lol. After this downpipe and tune I’m going to enjoy it for the summer and then next year is when I’m going to go nuts on it.
Old 06-24-2020, 04:53 PM

W218 Stage 2, E85
i was so close to doing the whole kit as well but realized I still had to drive it as a daily for a few more months and I want to do more research on it before I pull the trigger but def a mod I got my eye on. I really want to see the potential of this thing but need a daily before I go super crazy with it. I don’t want to blow mine up either lol. After this downpipe and tune I’m going to enjoy it for the summer and then next year is when I’m going to go nuts on it.
Well, the meth kit, you set what RPM you want the system to spray in the intake. I think 4k RPM would be ideal. With that, you don't use the methanol while cruising on the freeway or streets.

I read a thread on here the guy was putting out 700 ish whp and 800ish wtq. I didn't get an answer if he replaced any engine/transmission internals. He mentioned that the 550s are capable of handling 1,000 hp. I don't know how true that statement is. So far, no one has had any issues with just Stage 2 tune. I haven't come across anyone here who has done the Meth kit.
Dblok1113 (06-25-2020)
Old 06-25-2020, 12:52 AM

2014 CLS 550
Well, the meth kit, you set what RPM you want the system to spray in the intake. I think 4k RPM would be ideal. With that, you don't use the methanol while cruising on the freeway or streets.

I read a thread on here the guy was putting out 700 ish whp and 800ish wtq. I didn't get an answer if he replaced any engine/transmission internals. He mentioned that the 550s are capable of handling 1,000 hp. I don't know how true that statement is. So far, no one has had any issues with just Stage 2 tune. I haven't come across anyone here who has done the Meth kit.
im going to do more research on the meth injection sounds really interesting.
I think I read the same thread with the 157 amg turbos and a whole bunch of other modifications and then I think upgraded turbos again if I’m not mistaken and was pulling serious numbers. I’d like to go all in next summer with upgrading turbos and all of that but I need a daily first. On another note the pipes came in today and I’m stoked so now I gotta get it scheduled to install.
Old 06-25-2020, 09:39 PM

W218 Stage 2, E85
im going to do more research on the meth injection sounds really interesting.
I think I read the same thread with the 157 amg turbos and a whole bunch of other modifications and then I think upgraded turbos again if I’m not mistaken and was pulling serious numbers. I’d like to go all in next summer with upgrading turbos and all of that but I need a daily first. On another note the pipes came in today and I’m stoked so now I gotta get it scheduled to install.
Yes, I think that's the one. His forum name is Gerdevski (something something) lol.
He upgraded turbos, meth kit, Stage 2 tune, additional cooling mods, etc. He was running low to mid 3secs for 0-60. But I still don't know if he changed any internal components to prevent the motor/trans from blowing up.

Yes, I'm thinking about the Meth kit like next year. You can just put water in the tank instead of Meth or a mix of both. Just like BMW M4 GTS, it has a water tank instead. I like that you are able to map the RPM levels when the system sprays in there. It's not that expensive either, $500-550.
Dblok1113 (06-26-2020)
Old 06-28-2020, 01:14 AM

2014 CLS 550
Yes, I think that's the one. His forum name is Gerdevski (something something) lol.
He upgraded turbos, meth kit, Stage 2 tune, additional cooling mods, etc. He was running low to mid 3secs for 0-60. But I still don't know if he changed any internal components to prevent the motor/trans from blowing up.

Yes, I'm thinking about the Meth kit like next year. You can just put water in the tank instead of Meth or a mix of both. Just like BMW M4 GTS, it has a water tank instead. I like that you are able to map the RPM levels when the system sprays in there. It's not that expensive either, $500-550.
that was an awesome thread and very informative I will be checking that thread out periodically as I go a little crazier with my mods. I was thinking about upgrading my intercooler pump here soon.
As of now though material is in for downpipes but he’s gotta do an x pipe and 3 in straight all the way out to tips so hopefully next week the material will be in.
Old 06-30-2020, 09:37 PM

W218 Stage 2, E85
that was an awesome thread and very informative I will be checking that thread out periodically as I go a little crazier with my mods. I was thinking about upgrading my intercooler pump here soon.
As of now though material is in for downpipes but he’s gotta do an x pipe and 3 in straight all the way out to tips so hopefully next week the material will be in.
So I finally got my tune and downpipes, I'm happy with it, overall. My set-up is DPs, X pipe, and stock mufflers. But I do have one or two complaints lol
1. The cold start is quiet. No idea how, but it is.
2. When flooring, the exhaust gets monotone or quiet at high RPMs, say if I do a pull from 4k RPM or higher.

I don't know how to fix these two issues. I did tell my tuner about them, not sure if tune can change anything, but I'm going to get in touch with the guy who worked on my exhaust and see if he can give me some insight. On the side note, another guy who has the same set-up as mine has pretty darn loud cold starts. I'm low-key infuriated lol. Otherwise, the exhaust note is pretty good. I might check about removing the mufflers lol.

I might wait till you complete your exhaust work and the tune and get feedback from you before I remove my mufflers. I was also thinking about doing a 3-inch exhaust, but I didn't. I know 3-inch pipes would have given a bit louder and deeper exhaust sound. I definitely feel the power difference. I noticed it right when I pulled out of the shop.
Dblok1113 (06-30-2020)
Old 06-30-2020, 10:01 PM

2014 CLS 550
So I finally got my tune and downpipes, I'm happy with it, overall. My set-up is DPs, X pipe, and stock mufflers. But I do have one or two complaints lol
1. The cold start is quiet. No idea how, but it is.
2. When flooring, the exhaust gets monotone or quiet at high RPMs, say if I do a pull from 4k RPM or higher.

I don't know how to fix these two issues. I did tell my tuner about them, not sure if tune can change anything, but I'm going to get in touch with the guy who worked on my exhaust and see if he can give me some insight. On the side note, another guy who has the same set-up as mine has pretty darn loud cold starts. I'm low-key infuriated lol. Otherwise, the exhaust note is pretty good. I might check about removing the mufflers lol.

I might wait till you complete your exhaust work and the tune and get feedback from you before I remove my mufflers. I was also thinking about doing a 3-inch exhaust, but I didn't. I know 3-inch pipes would have given a bit louder and deeper exhaust sound. I definitely feel the power difference. I noticed it right when I pulled out of the shop.
That’s great bro, it’s good that you feel like the performance has stepped up which is the main thing but you will figure it out as far as the sound and everyone I talk to on my side says to just to leave it straight piped and see how it sounds , I Had my resonators taken out and they were straight piped instead of an x pipe and I absolutely love the sound of my car. I still have stock mufflers so I think I’ll just add the downpipes and see how it sounds and If I want I can delete the mufflers and if that’s too loud I’ll add an x pipe to kind of refine it. But I’m just waiting on his schedule next week To get the downpipes installed. I will try and get a sound clip up.
Old 06-30-2020, 10:13 PM

W218 Stage 2, E85
That’s great bro, it’s good that you feel like the performance has stepped up which is the main thing but you will figure it out as far as the sound and everyone I talk to on my side says to just to leave it straight piped and see how it sounds , I Had my resonators taken out and they were straight piped instead of an x pipe and I absolutely love the sound of my car. I still have stock mufflers so I think I’ll just add the downpipes and see how it sounds and If I want I can delete the mufflers and if that’s too loud I’ll add an x pipe to kind of refine it. But I’m just waiting on his schedule next week To get the downpipes installed. I will try and get a sound clip up.
Yup, the power difference is there. I might head over to his shop and talk to him and see what he says. I mean the revs are just great. Low RPM pulls are loud, just as I wanted them to be. Sounds like it's gonna rip someone's ears whoever is nearby haha.

But hear this, my Stage 1 with cats, no resonator, and no mufflers had a louder cold start than Stage 2 with DPs, X pipe, and mufflers on. Lol.

But what I can't get my head around is another guy from this forum has the same exact set-up as mine...and his cold starts are darn louder lol. What's missing on mine. Oh, what a mystery. Mufflers might just have to go lol.
Dblok1113 (07-04-2020)
Old 07-04-2020, 12:02 PM

2014 CLS 550
Yup, the power difference is there. I might head over to his shop and talk to him and see what he says. I mean the revs are just great. Low RPM pulls are loud, just as I wanted them to be. Sounds like it's gonna rip someone's ears whoever is nearby haha.

But hear this, my Stage 1 with cats, no resonator, and no mufflers had a louder cold start than Stage 2 with DPs, X pipe, and mufflers on. Lol.

But what I can't get my head around is another guy from this forum has the same exact set-up as mine...and his cold starts are darn louder lol. What's missing on mine. Oh, what a mystery. Mufflers might just have to go lol.
I love the sound with just the res delete and I might catch some heat for this but I think the x pipe takes the aggression out of the sound. Might clean it up and “refine” the sound but my preference from the sound clips I have heard with an xpipe are not what I’m looking for.

So I’m going to add downpipes and 3 in right into stock muffler and see how it sounds if it’s not loud enough mufflers are going lol. I’m stoked I go in on Tuesday to get it done then add tune and spark plugs

Old 07-06-2020, 09:02 AM

Received 121 Likes on 109 Posts
C63 Vert
Alibaba has downpipes for like $20-100 but you have to buy more than 5 or so.
Old 07-08-2020, 01:27 AM

W218 Stage 2, E85
I love the sound with just the res delete and I might catch some heat for this but I think the x pipe takes the aggression out of the sound. Might clean it up and “refine” the sound but my preference from the sound clips I have heard with an xpipe are not what I’m looking for.

So I’m going to add downpipes and 3 in right into stock muffler and see how it sounds if it’s not loud enough mufflers are going lol. I’m stoked I go in on Tuesday to get it done then add tune and spark plugs

Now, after reading your comments, I regret not going bold with my exhaust and slapping mufflers back on lol. I didn't give having the exhaust 3inch pipes, either. Sigh. lol. That 3-inch exhaust is def gonna sound better than a 2.5in, even with the same exact set-up. I'm interested to know how it goes for you and how is the sound with just straight pipes from hell lol. I will take action on mine based on your results (regarding if I want to remove mufflers and just keep the X pipe).

I can't acknowledge the sound via video clips, I want an in-person sound to say it sounds good/bad lol. I've heard some cut-outs sound good and some bad on the same cars. I wouldn't mind going all straight...but the drone might be a little too much to deal with if you're cruising on a long drive. Now, with the mufflers, it's very minimal.
Old 07-08-2020, 01:29 AM

W218 Stage 2, E85
Originally Posted by cls5504matic
Alibaba has downpipes for like $20-100 but you have to buy more than 5 or so.
Did you just say $20-100? Where is the link? lol, I think you're mistaken, either about the price or the product itself. I want to see the link, first.
Old 07-11-2020, 05:29 PM

2014 CLS 550
So have l to wait for the three inch till Monday to run straight to muffler but 3 in downpipes installed now will be coming back next week to straight it out to mufflers. But these pipes have opened this thing right up sounds amazing

These are the old ones, super restrictive

New ones no check engine light