Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-27-2020, 06:02 PM

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts
2014 CLS 550
H pipe, X pipe, or straight pipes

I知 ordering the catless downpipes from

https://www.vividracing.com/-p-15091...iABEgKMKPD_BwE

It has an option for an x pipe and I was going to do that but I hear mixed reviews from people and none of which owns a merc so looking for real life experiences of which option one would prefer be it h pipe x pipe or straight pipe and why
thanks y誕ll

Last edited by Dblok1113; 05-27-2020 at 11:50 PM.
Old 05-28-2020, 04:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2016 CLS550 4Matic, 1995 SL600, 2014 GL450
I did x-pipe, apparently straight pipe give it a diesel whistle
The following users liked this post:
Dblok1113 (05-28-2020)
Old 05-28-2020, 04:48 PM

2014 CLS 550
Originally Posted by aznese
I did x-pipe, apparently straight pipe give it a diesel whistle

They just called me and told me they don稚 do the x pipe anymore so that saved me some money, I think I知 just going to with the straight pipes. And they are saying two weeks for production of the downpipes ugggh. In the meantime i was going to look for better mufflers or delete them altogether. I知 going to have downpipes installed and check the sound if it痴 not loud enough I値l delete them
Old 05-30-2020, 02:55 PM

Received 141 Likes on 124 Posts
W218 Stage 2, E85
If you want to save some $, maybe check local shops. Chances are, 1 out of 50 shops in your area can make them for you. I was quoted at $600-1,000 (3 different shops) for just downpipes from a local shop. Because almost $2k is too much for me lol
And I think it's personal preference regarding X or H pipe. One offers a little diff tone than the other. Another guy from here got em built from a shop in LA for under $500. He still has factory mufflers on with X pipe. Sounds pretty good. I might be doing the same, pretty soon. Sometime in June.
Dblok1113 (05-30-2020)
Old 05-30-2020, 07:31 PM

2014 CLS 550
Originally Posted by Roop94
If you want to save some $, maybe check local shops. Chances are, 1 out of 50 shops in your area can make them for you. I was quoted at $600-1,000 (3 different shops) for just downpipes from a local shop. Because almost $2k is too much for me lol
And I think it's personal preference regarding X or H pipe. One offers a little diff tone than the other. Another guy from here got em built from a shop in LA for under $500. He still has factory mufflers on with X pipe. Sounds pretty good. I might be doing the same, pretty soon. Sometime in June.

i didn稚 end up getting the downpipes bc of the production time and I知 impatient so I went with Weistec tune, filters, and anti surge blow off valve. I will be installing downpipes as well just going on the hunt for some more affordable, anyone know where to get downpipes for the cls other than mbh? I might just do it anyway.

Last edited by Dblok1113; 05-30-2020 at 08:15 PM.
Old 06-02-2020, 01:16 AM

W218 Stage 2, E85
Originally Posted by Dblok1113
i didn稚 end up getting the downpipes bc of the production time and I知 impatient so I went with Weistec tune, filters, and anti surge blow off valve. I will be installing downpipes as well just going on the hunt for some more affordable, anyone know where to get downpipes for the cls other than mbh? I might just do it anyway.
Wherever you look online, the price won't be below ~$1,500. To make affordable, your best bet is to call bunch of local custom exhaust shops. Canada EC do install Downpipes, DPs, but only in-house. You'd have to drive into their shop and it is pretty cheap. I saw this guy on YouTube, on his channel, he said he paid roughly $300 USD, which translate into $400 ish CAD.

I wonder how much would be the installation if you guy the DPs online?
Dblok1113 (06-02-2020)
Old 06-02-2020, 01:05 PM

2014 CLS 550
Wherever you look online, the price won't be below ~$1,500. To make affordable, your best bet is to call bunch of local custom exhaust shops. Canada EC do install Downpipes, DPs, but only in-house. You'd have to drive into their shop and it is pretty cheap. I saw this guy on YouTube, on his channel, he said he paid roughly $300 USD, which translate into $400 ish CAD.

I wonder how much would be the installation if you guy the DPs online?
i contacted ec Orlando and they said they have someone they call. But I知 going to pull the trigger on the mbh dps if I can稚 find the dimensions, my uncle is a beast with fabricating he lives in nc and if I can get him the dimensions he said he can make some titanium ones, like ones he痴 made for his mustang but idk where to start to find That info. So most likely will be getting the mbh dps
Old 06-05-2020, 01:42 AM

W218 Stage 2, E85
i contacted ec Orlando and they said they have someone they call. But I知 going to pull the trigger on the mbh dps if I can稚 find the dimensions, my uncle is a beast with fabricating he lives in nc and if I can get him the dimensions he said he can make some titanium ones, like ones he痴 made for his mustang but idk where to start to find That info. So most likely will be getting the mbh dps
Yeah, I was talking to a guy a few months back and he said if you can get the dimensions, then we can get them built pretty quick and precise. But I couldn't find any either.
titanium? how much he charges? lol jk

Yeah, I wouldn't know how to get the dimensions of them. I will try to do some research on it tomorrow IF there's a way for us to do any measurement on them.
Dblok1113 (06-05-2020)
Old 06-05-2020, 10:17 AM

2014 CLS 550
Yeah, I was talking to a guy a few months back and he said if you can get the dimensions, then we can get them built pretty quick and precise. But I couldn't find any either.
titanium? how much he charges? lol jk

Yeah, I wouldn't know how to get the dimensions of them. I will try to do some research on it tomorrow IF there's a way for us to do any measurement on them.
I actually gotta guy who痴 a fabricator, it痴 my assistants brother ! He was going to make them for me but he痴 not confident with titanium, good with steel so I might have him make me some high quality steel dps, regardless he痴 willing to get me the measurements. So I will take car to him tomorrow if he痴 free and he痴 going to look at it and measure everything then I will send measurements to my Unc and see what we can do. When I get the dimensions and all of that I will share.

Last edited by Dblok1113; 06-05-2020 at 10:20 AM.
Old 06-06-2020, 12:22 AM

W218 Stage 2, E85
I actually gotta guy who痴 a fabricator, it痴 my assistants brother ! He was going to make them for me but he痴 not confident with titanium, good with steel so I might have him make me some high quality steel dps, regardless he痴 willing to get me the measurements. So I will take car to him tomorrow if he痴 free and he痴 going to look at it and measure everything then I will send measurements to my Unc and see what we can do. When I get the dimensions and all of that I will share.
Damn. Keep me posted bro. I've put my guy on hold, for now, lol I'm still shopping around. I'm not too worried about titanium or anything...as long as it doesn't corrode lol I'm ok with it. Tit pipes would be pretty light. And I wonder how the exhaust note will be if the exhaust set-up is the same but different materials.
Dblok1113 (06-06-2020)
Old 06-06-2020, 03:03 AM

2014 CLS 550
Damn. Keep me posted bro. I've put my guy on hold, for now, lol I'm still shopping around. I'm not too worried about titanium or anything...as long as it doesn't corrode lol I'm ok with it. Tit pipes would be pretty light. And I wonder how the exhaust note will be if the exhaust set-up is the same but different materials.
will do, I知 trying to see if the I can get there this weekend to have him take a look. I will keep posted. Can稚 wait for the setup to be complete.
Old 06-06-2020, 11:41 PM

W218 Stage 2, E85
will do, I知 trying to see if the I can get there this weekend to have him take a look. I will keep posted. Can稚 wait for the setup to be complete.
I see. this one guy who I contacted for the DPs, said he can't find the flared end pipes to make the DPs. The flared end pipe will connect to the turbo pipe/exhaust manifold. They're both flared and til he can find it, he said he can't quote me on the price til then.
With the dimensions, I can maybe hit up the person who asked if I can get the dimensions and then we can proceed. But I couldn't get a hold of any DPs for this model.

Are you going to him like tomorrow or the next weekend?
Old 06-08-2020, 12:15 PM

2014 CLS 550
I see. this one guy who I contacted for the DPs, said he can't find the flared end pipes to make the DPs. The flared end pipe will connect to the turbo pipe/exhaust manifold. They're both flared and til he can find it, he said he can't quote me on the price til then.
With the dimensions, I can maybe hit up the person who asked if I can get the dimensions and then we can proceed. But I couldn't get a hold of any DPs for this model.

Are you going to him like tomorrow or the next weekend?
Going to see him at 3pm will update
Old 06-14-2020, 08:26 AM

2014 CLS 550
Spoke to fabricator yesterday, been having issues with my tire on back order or something, been over a week waiting for this tire anyway that痴 what痴 been the problem is getting there. Anyway Dude had looked at it and quoted me 1000 with all materials it痴 going to be t308 I think, he痴 said he痴 made several dps for other high performance cars with that material, He痴 hoping his buddy has the material today and have down pipes done on Tuesday, Wednesday. Which would be great I will get dimensions when I drop car off
Old 06-16-2020, 01:47 AM

W218 Stage 2, E85
I see. That's a good deal for Stainless Steel exhaust. Are you just getting DPs or anything else as well?

Where is this dude located? I don't even know where are you from?
I'm still in the market for DPs to be fabricated for mine lol.
Old 06-16-2020, 03:04 AM

2014 CLS 550
I see. That's a good deal for Stainless Steel exhaust. Are you just getting DPs or anything else as well?

Where is this dude located? I don't even know where are you from?
I'm still in the market for DPs to be fabricated for mine lol.
Orlando Fl and where are you from? I asked him if he was willing to make them again and he said sure he wants to find the fittings though but in my case I had a res delete and they just welded it instead of putting the proper fittings on so I guess it痴 better I didn稚 order from mbh or any other for that matter because Not only would it cost me 1500-2k I would of had to pay pay a welder anyway due to the chop job they did on the exhaust, at the time didn稚 care was eyeing a whole new exhaust system anyway just wanted it to sound better and it does lol but I think with the dps, straight pipe, asv and tune, it痴 going to sound great and move quick as well. My handheld tuner thing came in and asv from Weistec I got air filters and spark plugs coming. Trying to schedule a dyno run now before the downpipes do another dyno with the down pipes and then another with tune and downpipes. Just waiting on these damn tires to come in before I schedule the stock run. Anyway I値l keep posted.

Last edited by Dblok1113; 06-16-2020 at 03:08 AM.
Old 06-16-2020, 08:37 AM

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
CLS 550
Orlando Fl and where are you from? I asked him if he was willing to make them again and he said sure he wants to find the fittings though but in my case I had a res delete and they just welded it instead of putting the proper fittings on so I guess it痴 better I didn稚 order from mbh or any other for that matter because Not only would it cost me 1500-2k I would of had to pay pay a welder anyway due to the chop job they did on the exhaust, at the time didn稚 care was eyeing a whole new exhaust system anyway just wanted it to sound better and it does lol but I think with the dps, straight pipe, asv and tune, it痴 going to sound great and move quick as well. My handheld tuner thing came in and asv from Weistec I got air filters and spark plugs coming. Trying to schedule a dyno run now before the downpipes do another dyno with the down pipes and then another with tune and downpipes. Just waiting on these damn tires to come in before I schedule the stock run. Anyway I値l keep posted.

That's awesome, I'm in Or as well, which shop did you go to?
Old 06-16-2020, 02:07 PM

2014 CLS 550
It痴 close to winter park, it痴 his and another guys garage/ shop they split his name is David, the welder lmk if you need anything you can pm me for details
Old 06-16-2020, 10:57 PM

W218 Stage 2, E85
I see. I'm in West Coast near SFO lol
I'm going to the shop tomorrow because the guy wants to lift it up and check it out thoroughly. Last time I went, the lift wasn't free, so he just guesstimate me for approx 700-800 ish.

Yeah, I removed my resonator and mufflers. So going to have to put the mufflers back on and install an X pipe.

Wonder how many wheels hp/tq you might get, but another dude dyno'ed his 550 with OE tune, he got 445whp and approx 530-550 wtq. He also just got his DPs 2 weeks ago and is running DPs, X, and stock mufflers. As I quote, he said, his car shot one or two flames as well lol. I'm excited to get mine done, hopefully by next Wednesday. Tomorrow, I'm just going in for the quote.
Dblok1113 (06-16-2020)
Old 06-17-2020, 12:23 AM

2014 CLS 550
I see. I'm in West Coast near SFO lol
I'm going to the shop tomorrow because the guy wants to lift it up and check it out thoroughly. Last time I went, the lift wasn't free, so he just guesstimate me for approx 700-800 ish.

Yeah, I removed my resonator and mufflers. So going to have to put the mufflers back on and install an X pipe.

Wonder how many wheels hp/tq you might get, but another dude dyno'ed his 550 with OE tune, he got 445whp and approx 530-550 wtq. He also just got his DPs 2 weeks ago and is running DPs, X, and stock mufflers. As I quote, he said, his car shot one or two flames as well lol. I'm excited to get mine done, hopefully by next Wednesday. Tomorrow, I'm just going in for the quote.
Love the bay ! Was born on Travis afb and lived there until I was about 12 ! Lucky enough to go to candlestick a few times, great times ! Anyway can I ask why you have to put an x pipe and your mufflers back on ? For noise ? I was going to chop my mufflers off and straight pipe the whole way to the tips.
As far as the numbers I知 trying to get on dyno and I知 having a terrible time with this flat, I was supposed to have rear tires last Monday but I got a bunch of run around which I知 super pissed about because I gotta drop this car off for the dps and antisurge valve installation, and then tune and spark plugs And as I said earlier I want to dyno it before dps and after and again after tune just to see. Weistec on their site claims 588 hp and 765tq for stage 2 tune(downpipe)and the guy that痴 doing the downpipes knows a guy that can get me on the dyno easily and it痴 really close to me so we shall see. I知 super excited. Will keep posted.
Old 06-17-2020, 08:25 PM

W218 Stage 2, E85
Love the bay ! Was born on Travis afb and lived there until I was about 12 ! Lucky enough to go to candlestick a few times, great times ! Anyway can I ask why you have to put an x pipe and your mufflers back on ? For noise ? I was going to chop my mufflers off and straight pipe the whole way to the tips.
As far as the numbers I知 trying to get on dyno and I知 having a terrible time with this flat, I was supposed to have rear tires last Monday but I got a bunch of run around which I知 super pissed about because I gotta drop this car off for the dps and antisurge valve installation, and then tune and spark plugs And as I said earlier I want to dyno it before dps and after and again after tune just to see. Weistec on their site claims 588 hp and 765tq for stage 2 tune(downpipe)and the guy that痴 doing the downpipes knows a guy that can get me on the dyno easily and it痴 really close to me so we shall see. I知 super excited. Will keep posted.
The shop guy told me to do X pipe and put the muffs back on due to the sound. 1 - all straight will have a high drone. 2 - it will tone up the exhaust note as well.
My other friend also has X and muffs on.

I was thinking to do a completely straight, but don't know how that would sound or how bad the drone might be. I was to go to him today to get a thorough look at the exhaust, but I called and his lifts are still busy. So I will see when will I be able to go to him. Also, I read on other car forums of Mustang, Camaro, Pontiac G8s - they are using J pipe to kill the drone. J pipe is shaped like the letter J and is installed in the area of the muffler. I saw an E55 using J pipe on the forums somewhere as well. So when I go to the shop, I'll try to remember this and ask his input, too.

Damn, Weistec throwing deep TQ numbers. I was thinking to go with Weistec in the beginning, but their cost made me switch to EuroCharged. HP numbers are the same across all tuning companies, but RT and Weistec offer 700 tq on Stage 1. EC offers 606tq. I think with Stage 2, my numbers should be approx 575-585hp and 650-670tq.
Dblok1113 (06-17-2020)
Old 06-17-2020, 10:40 PM

2014 CLS 550
The shop guy told me to do X pipe and put the muffs back on due to the sound. 1 - all straight will have a high drone. 2 - it will tone up the exhaust note as well.
My other friend also has X and muffs on.

I was thinking to do a completely straight, but don't know how that would sound or how bad the drone might be. I was to go to him today to get a thorough look at the exhaust, but I called and his lifts are still busy. So I will see when will I be able to go to him. Also, I read on other car forums of Mustang, Camaro, Pontiac G8s - they are using J pipe to kill the drone. J pipe is shaped like the letter J and is installed in the area of the muffler. I saw an E55 using J pipe on the forums somewhere as well. So when I go to the shop, I'll try to remember this and ask his input, too.

Damn, Weistec throwing deep TQ numbers. I was thinking to go with Weistec in the beginning, but their cost made me switch to EuroCharged. HP numbers are the same across all tuning companies, but RT and Weistec offer 700 tq on Stage 1. EC offers 606tq. I think with Stage 2, my numbers should be approx 575-585hp and 650-670tq.

I will definitely see how the sound is, drone doesn稚 bother me much but maybe because I haven稚 experienced it, I just have the res delete and I think it sounds awesome, but still really new at this whole thing and was thinking about an x pipe with performance exhaust down the line.

I really like the fi exhaust they gave me a quote for the system and It will probably be the next thing I do, that or a trans upgrade. I致e also heard a lot of good things about the j pipe and I will def look into . The torque has got me a little nervous because of how many miles on it 114k I had eng mounts and trans mount changed about 5k ago, Weistec anti surge valve going in, with the downpipes. I really want to do a trans upgrade on it at RENNtech so we will see. I知 super stoked to get her going, just got my tires took advan sport plus, today so I知 trying to schedule a dyno before I take to fabricator.

As far as Weistec, I always watched a lot of Weistec videos on the c63 and the supercharger was bad ***, anyway I like the numbers for the tune and the other things that were available for this car and customer service has been really great so far. I知 definitely excited and if I can come back with those numbers I will be stoked ! So we will see! will
keep posted
GT532 (06-18-2020)
Old 06-18-2020, 11:33 PM

W218 Stage 2, E85
I will definitely see how the sound is, drone doesn稚 bother me much but maybe because I haven稚 experienced it, I just have the res delete and I think it sounds awesome, but still really new at this whole thing and was thinking about an x pipe with performance exhaust down the line.

I really like the fi exhaust they gave me a quote for the system and It will probably be the next thing I do, that or a trans upgrade. I致e also heard a lot of good things about the j pipe and I will def look into . The torque has got me a little nervous because of how many miles on it 114k I had eng mounts and trans mount changed about 5k ago, Weistec anti surge valve going in, with the downpipes. I really want to do a trans upgrade on it at RENNtech so we will see. I知 super stoked to get her going, just got my tires took advan sport plus, today so I知 trying to schedule a dyno before I take to fabricator.

As far as Weistec, I always watched a lot of Weistec videos on the c63 and the supercharger was bad ***, anyway I like the numbers for the tune and the other things that were available for this car and customer service has been really great so far. I知 definitely excited and if I can come back with those numbers I will be stoked ! So we will see! will
keep posted
Yeah I was planning to go with Weistec due to their higher TQ numbers, but I was talked out of it because those numbers are "unreal" and I might be getting into a disappointment. So I went with EC. But one question I still have in my mind is that how much HP/TQ can this car can actually handle before things start to break apart? Lol. Because 750+tq (more than 300tq than stock) is quite a bit.

And I am going to the shop tomorrow to get an actual quote and get it done some time next week. I am going to ask him about other options if we just do X pipe and keep everything straight or what else can we do to keep the noise good and the drone low.

And I am actually thinking, just thinking, about the meth/water injection kit. I know a person who knows how to install it. He has done it on other cars and is planning to do it on his Land Cruiser as well. VRP Speed offers a few variable kits ranging from $500-1,500 with BOV. So, that's one thing I have in mind, maybe about another year from now.

I've listened to a few videos of Fi Exhaust on the 550. Sounds angry as hell, but also they cost a big chunk, too, haha.
Dblok1113 (06-19-2020)
Old 06-19-2020, 12:42 AM

2014 CLS 550
I was going to go with ec because of locality and I hear a lot of great things. Just was online late and started ordering at Weistec after a few YouTube videos. I notice a lot of oetuning and ec for this on this forum for this car. I really wanted to go with renntech but with Weistec i got a few extra things I wanted at the same place ie asv and tune numbers similar for about 700 less but I hope I land at 550 whp and 600 wtq I値l be stoked, have you dyno your with your tune ?

had a hard time getting a hold of the spot with the dyno just trying to get it on there and see where I知 at. I知 itching to get this asv, dps, and tune done. I have it all just sitting here ......But I def want to see my numbers Stock and then with dps then tune. Hopefully tomorrow I can get a hold of someone.

i was so close to doing the meth kit but I gotta slow down until I get new Escalade for my wife we are waiting for that to come out and I知 going to use the 2010 Escalade for my daily, which will really allow me to take all the time I need to turn this cls into a real punisher. The Fi kit was 4300 for mid x pipe, valvetronic muffler and remote control system module 1400 for dps which I wouldnt need 600 for tips which I wouldnt need. But I know 4300 is steep but you are getting one of the best systems if not the best out there. It痴 still hard to justify esp when I want a newer e63s next summer 😬 and could use that extra cash for that. The fi exhaust is real tempting for sure I think I知 convinced I want to do an x pipe and straight it on out. I wish it was easier to post videos on here. Will keep posted ....

Last edited by Dblok1113; 06-19-2020 at 12:46 AM.
Old 06-20-2020, 08:19 PM

W218 Stage 2, E85
I was going to go with ec because of locality and I hear a lot of great things. Just was online late and started ordering at Weistec after a few YouTube videos. I notice a lot of oetuning and ec for this on this forum for this car. I really wanted to go with renntech but with Weistec i got a few extra things I wanted at the same place ie asv and tune numbers similar for about 700 less but I hope I land at 550 whp and 600 wtq I値l be stoked, have you dyno your with your tune ?

had a hard time getting a hold of the spot with the dyno just trying to get it on there and see where I知 at. I知 itching to get this asv, dps, and tune done. I have it all just sitting here ......But I def want to see my numbers Stock and then with dps then tune. Hopefully tomorrow I can get a hold of someone.

i was so close to doing the meth kit but I gotta slow down until I get new Escalade for my wife we are waiting for that to come out and I知 going to use the 2010 Escalade for my daily, which will really allow me to take all the time I need to turn this cls into a real punisher. The Fi kit was 4300 for mid x pipe, valvetronic muffler and remote control system module 1400 for dps which I wouldnt need 600 for tips which I wouldnt need. But I know 4300 is steep but you are getting one of the best systems if not the best out there. It痴 still hard to justify esp when I want a newer e63s next summer 😬 and could use that extra cash for that. The fi exhaust is real tempting for sure I think I知 convinced I want to do an x pipe and straight it on out. I wish it was easier to post videos on here. Will keep posted ....

Ohhh I see. Yeah, I'm hoping to get near those numbers as well, 550whp and 600wtq. I am thinking about the Meth/Water kit later on down the line. I try to gap these expensive mods haha. I just hope that nothing blows up on this car lol. But DPs alone probably wouldn't be enough for me to reach those numbers on wheels. I haven't dyno'ed mine yet. I was thinking of dyno after Stage 2. So I went to the shop and he said he will do the DPs with flanges, X pipe, and put my mufflers back on for $750. Reasonable price.

Are you trying to do your set-up of DPs, X pipe, and straight pipe from there? No mufflers? Just an X pipe? I am going to ask him that when I go to him on Wednesday if he can allow me to do that for a few days and if I don't like it if he can install my mufflers back up. I'm going to ask him about that.

Oh, you have quite a few plans there haha. I like Escalades. But I want the G-Wagon LOL. I think Fi Exhaust is the loudest full exhaust set-up I've listened to online. But that steep price is keeping me 420 miles away from it lol :P

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: H pipe, X pipe, or straight pipes