Best Exhaust Cutout Location?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-16-2022, 03:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C300, CLS550
Best Exhaust Cutout Location?

Hey guys -

I'm working on getting an exhaust cutout kit installed/I install on my CLS550 and don't really know the best spot to put it or what I should remove from the system. Essentially, I want it to remain as stock-sounding as possible - it's a daily driver - but sound like a bat out of hell when I want it to. I know that I probably won't achieve the best results with this, just because I'm not looking to do a full resonator/muffler delete with an X pipe, but I am curious as to what the best setup is.

My questions are below:
  • The 1st set of resonators/cats on the pipes - are those 1st resonators or secondary cats? I've heard them called both, but if they're cats I don't want to touch them (VA has strict emissions standards)
  • If they are resonators, would it be best to replace them with some straight pipes with the valves off of them?
  • If they are cats, would I see any benefit to placing the cutouts before the resonator, if there is enough clearance?
  • If the only reasonable option would be to put them after the resonator, would the difference in sound even be that noticeable?

I know my questions are a bit all over the place, but I'm really just asking what is my best option here to have the closest-to-stock sound with the valves shut and have the most aggressive sound with them open.

Thanks so much in advance!
Old 05-16-2022, 05:51 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
CLS500
If you want loud..... here are the spots you want them:

The following users liked this post:
Phillip Bagshaw (05-16-2022)
Old 05-16-2022, 06:00 PM

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts
2012 CLS550
Those are not secondary cats, they are resonators. I've had them all removed. Why don't you just delete a couple of the resonators instead of all of them? I live in California, so emissions are strict here as well. I left the cats, but deleted all of the resonators. It sounds mean at idle, but not really noticeable when I'm just driving around town. When I want to get on it, you'll hear it though. I don't know if valves will make much difference with the resonators still installed. They quiet the car down quite a bit.
Phillip Bagshaw (05-16-2022)
Old 05-16-2022, 09:02 PM

C300, CLS550
Originally Posted by RavenCLS
Those are not secondary cats, they are resonators. I've had them all removed. Why don't you just delete a couple of the resonators instead of all of them? I live in California, so emissions are strict here as well. I left the cats, but deleted all of the resonators. It sounds mean at idle, but not really noticeable when I'm just driving around town. When I want to get on it, you'll hear it though. I don't know if valves will make much difference with the resonators still installed. They quiet the car down quite a bit.
Thank you for letting me know! I was pretty sure that they weren't cats, but I heard a few YouTube guys calling them cats and wanted to be absolutely sure. And for deleting the resonators vs. doing a valve, I really want to be able to switch it up. I know that doing that would be easier and more reliable, but I'm stubbornly going this route purely for the aspect of switching it up. Maybe I'll change my mind down the line, but I'll try this out for now! I'm very interested to see how it goes since there's very little about exhaust cutouts on stock exhaust from what I could find.
Old 05-16-2022, 09:19 PM

2012 CLS550
No problem. I think valves would be amazing. I would love to have them t on mine but I'm sure they'd make very little difference. Keep us posted on the build. I've always loved cars that had valves, it's such a cool trick. I live in an apartment so they'd definitely be useful. But I have my neighbors trained. Between the straight piped car and my Harley they always know when I'm leaving. Lol
Old 05-16-2022, 09:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 543 Likes on 479 Posts
2010 C300 4MATIC........ 2011 C63 AMG.............. 2015 CLS400 4MATIC.....
Valves are cool but all you need for these cars is a muffler delete. Sounds stock until you get past 3500 rpm, then the beast roars.
RavenCLS (03-16-2023)
Old 05-16-2022, 09:59 PM

2012 CLS550
That's how mine is. It's a low rumble until I get on it.
Phillip Bagshaw (05-17-2022)
Old 05-17-2022, 11:05 AM

C300, CLS550
Originally Posted by Adi-Benz
Valves are cool but all you need for these cars is a muffler delete. Sounds stock until you get past 3500 rpm, then the beast roars.
Yeah I've heard some really good muffler deletes! Part of what I do want is a good idle sound and low-RPM sound, too, which is why I've shied away from that specifically.
Old 05-17-2022, 11:06 AM

C300, CLS550
Originally Posted by RavenCLS
No problem. I think valves would be amazing. I would love to have them t on mine but I'm sure they'd make very little difference. Keep us posted on the build. I've always loved cars that had valves, it's such a cool trick. I live in an apartment so they'd definitely be useful. But I have my neighbors trained. Between the straight piped car and my Harley they always know when I'm leaving. Lol
Lol all of my neighbors are either older or have young kids - I'd hate to be that guy that wakes up a horde of toddlers at 8pm going to a friend's house or something
Old 03-16-2023, 03:48 AM

2006 Mercedes Cls500
Follow up? How’d it go? I have the same car and same stubborn thinking

Follow up? How’d it go? How’d it sound?I have the same same car
Originally Posted by Phillip Bagshaw
Thank you for letting me know! I was pretty sure that they weren't cats, but I heard a few YouTube guys calling them cats and wanted to be absolutely sure. And for deleting the resonators vs. doing a valve, I really want to be able to switch it up. I know that doing that would be easier and more reliable, but I'm stubbornly going this route purely for the aspect of switching it up. Maybe I'll change my mind down the line, but I'll try this out for now! I'm very interested to see how it goes since there's very little about exhaust cutouts on stock exhaust from what I could find.
Old 03-16-2023, 02:58 PM

2012 CLS550
yeah, update