Strong Gas Smell 2014 CLS550

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-05-2024, 03:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2014 CLS500 (NO 4MATIC)
Strong Gas Smell 2014 CLS550

I wanted to make this post and appreciation for the MB form. You guys put me on to the right path regarding resolving the gas smell in my mercedes. I did not see a post for a 2014 CLS550 so I am adding it here. Thank you guys again so much.

This is the fuel pump sender unit. It's located under the rear seat driver side.

As you can see this is the top of the sending unit and the cracks are abound. This must have been leaking for a while, but finally got to the point to where the gas smell could not be buried. Initially I did not want to do this, but the dealer wanted to charge me $2,300 for this fix.

Same fuel pump sender unit under driver side rear seat but this is what it looks like when you remove it. Make sure to change the o-ring. I believe my O-ring is okay but if I'm going to go through all of this trouble putting a o-ring is no issue.

This is the fuel pump which is located under the rear seat on the passenger side. You must remove this in order to disconnect the hoses from the fuel pump and you will pull the hoses out through the other side from the driver's side rear.

Just to make things easier because I did not want to put my hand in the gas tank and try to fix it through the small hole I just attached the string on the disconnected hoses from the fuel pump so that I could pull the entire unit and the string out to the other side. When I replace the part I will just attach a string and pull it through the other side in the reverse order.

Now you see the sending unit completely removed and the pull string they're waiting so that I can install the new one when I get it in 48 hours. If you have any questions please feel free to reach out to me.

This is the fuel pump sending with the sending unit completely removed. I wanted to make sure that I laid it out so that when I ordered the new part it would look exactly like this. Please note that this unit does not have any wires with it just the two hoses
The following 2 users liked this post by MrWJB:
Beer_Bandit (08-05-2024), MJ50 (08-05-2024)
Old 08-05-2024, 08:20 PM
Super Moderator

Received 768 Likes on 747 Posts
bone stock E55 AMG
moved to C218 forum...