CLS Coupe (C219) Discuss the CLS Coupe.

Rear Sunshade

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-14-2005, 11:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 ML 320CDI
Rear Sunshade

I am trying to install the rear sunshade after market...
So far, it looks that I will need (aside from the shade) a new rear deck, and a button on the dashboard. I am hoping everything is prewired so all I have to do is snap the button in place. Any other ideas?
Old 08-15-2005, 12:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
W203 slightly modified
Originally Posted by aniantchev
I am trying to install the rear sunshade after market...
So far, it looks that I will need (aside from the shade) a new rear deck, and a button on the dashboard. I am hoping everything is prewired so all I have to do is snap the button in place. Any other ideas?
- Rear deck ONLY comes with a sunshade. If you buy the sunshade first you wont be able to buy the deck without a sunshade.

- wiring harness is needed as well as a relay and a fuse. Why would this item be pre-wired ?

- dashboard button -> you may as well buy the fully optioned switch panel and transfer the unwanted buttons with the blanks on your current panel. At least then if you do this again all you need to do is remove the blanks again.
Old 08-15-2005, 01:17 PM

2007 ML 320CDI
I thought the item would be prewired as a means of standardisation and to improve uniformity and ability to upgrade and throw in options...
So, your advice would be to put a whole new button panel in place? One last question: you mentioned a fuse and a relay, but where would you get power from, i.e. where is the power source?
Old 08-15-2005, 05:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2003 CLK55
What I want to know is....why won't mercedes let you get this as a stand alone option. I think its crap that you have to get the package with the seats in order to get the rear window sunshade. I'm talking about the CLS 55.
Old 08-16-2005, 05:23 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
some slow@$$diesels
Originally Posted by Stiggs
What I want to know is....why won't mercedes let you get this as a stand alone option.
Mercedes - as a matter of fact - DOES let you get the rear sunshade as a SEPARATE option...MBUSA - however - offers it in a package deal...this is something MBUSA related.
I thought the item would be prewired as a means of standardisation and to improve uniformity and ability to upgrade and throw in options.
There is no such thing as standardisation in a factory where cars are build-as-ordered with thousands of different setup possibilities...so whatever cost can be saved - does get saved.
Just be glad to have a US spec car as those already come fully equiped and prewired for phone, CD changer, Voice Recognition which is something the ROW cars do not come wired for either.

greetingz,
Old 08-16-2005, 05:23 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

some slow@$$diesels
but where would you get power from, i.e. where is the power source?
rear SAM

greetingz,
Old 08-16-2005, 12:13 PM

2007 ML 320CDI
I checked with my dealer and I got the following quotes:
Rear deck w/integrtaed sunshade....$720
Button panel.....$220
additionally, for AMG style pedals, it costs 10-15 bucks for the brake and emergency brake but it is a whopping $230 for the gas pedal. Is there a cheaper AMG gas pedal out there?
Old 08-16-2005, 01:31 PM

06 CLS500 + 99 ML320
I checked with my dealer and I got the following quotes:
Rear deck w/integrtaed sunshade....$720
Button panel.....$220
additionally, for AMG style pedals, it costs 10-15 bucks for the brake and emergency brake but it is a whopping $230 for the gas pedal. Is there a cheaper AMG gas pedal out there?
Wow $250??? Are you sure??? I paid $500HKD around $65 USD when I was in Hong Kong last Christmas for all 3 pedals. I remembered someone got it about $75 to $100 for all 3 pedals here in US... Don't buy those fake "AMG" pedals and drill to your original pedals. It looks pretty bad and not fit perfect.
Old 08-16-2005, 05:49 PM

2007 ML 320CDI
I think it's expensive because the gas pedal unlike the others would have to fully replaced...
Old 08-16-2005, 08:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
W203 slightly modified
I think it's expensive because the gas pedal unlike the others would have to fully replaced...
That seems to contradict the experiences I have had on C-CLass and CLK. I wonder why that is ? Is it really so hard to change the rubber ?
Old 08-16-2005, 09:07 PM

2007 ML 320CDI
Yeah, I examined the gas pedal on my buddy's CLS55. The gas pedal is one-piece. One really has to replace the whole pedal...
Old 08-16-2005, 10:03 PM

06 CLS500 + 99 ML320
Yeah, I examined the gas pedal on my buddy's CLS55. The gas pedal is one-piece. One really has to replace the whole pedal...
Sure not. The original black rubber gas pedal slide out and slide in the AMG one. Similar way like the dead and brake pedals but the other two are force in and the gas pedal is slide in and replace.
Old 08-17-2005, 07:16 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

some slow@$$diesels
Originally Posted by hlkc
Sure not. The original black rubber gas pedal slide out and slide in the AMG one. Similar way like the dead and brake pedals but the other two are force in and the gas pedal is slide in and replace.
exactly...just get the 10USD costing (early) R170 gaspedal and use that rubber on the CLS gaspedal...it works and fits.

greetingz,
Old 08-17-2005, 07:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 CLK55
Originally Posted by MBenzNL
Mercedes - as a matter of fact - DOES let you get the rear sunshade as a SEPARATE option...MBUSA - however - offers it in a package deal...this is something MBUSA related.
I don't understand what you are saying? If I order the car, can I have mercedes install the sunshade as an option? Are you saying the dealership has to do it?
Old 08-17-2005, 01:50 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

some slow@$$diesels
I don't understand what you are saying? If I order the car, can I have mercedes install the sunshade as an option? Are you saying the dealership has to do it?
no, I am NOT saying that the dealer HAS to do it...I don't even know wether they WILL do it...all I know is that we have retrofitted original power rear sunshades in 202s, 203s, 209s, 210s, and 211s...and retrofitting the power rear sunshade into a 219 won't be that difficult either.

greetingz,
Old 08-17-2005, 03:38 PM

2006 Edition CLK 280 Coupe
no, I am NOT saying that the dealer HAS to do it...I don't even know wether they WILL do it...all I know is that we have retrofitted original power rear sunshades in 202s, 203s, 209s, 210s, and 211s...and retrofitting the power rear sunshade into a 219 won't be that difficult either.

greetingz,
And I'm after a quote on the fitting of the shade on the 209 too.
Old 08-18-2005, 07:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 CLK55
Mercedes - as a matter of fact - DOES let you get the rear sunshade as a SEPARATE option..

greetingz,

Can I get it installed at the factory as a stand alone option? The dealer says no. It sounds like you are saying someone can? I'm just confused.
And whats with this - greetingz all the time. Shouldn't that be at the beginning of the post and not the end. When I say goodbye to my buddies I don't say hello.
Old 08-18-2005, 03:33 PM

2006 Edition CLK 280 Coupe
And whats with this - greetingz all the time. Shouldn't that be at the beginning of the post and not the end. When I say goodbye to my buddies I don't say hello.
Your a little fussy. The guy isn't native English either and has an amazing near native grasp of English. I dont see the issue with saying it either. Why not...try talking Dutch and see how far you get. I have lived in NL for a few years now and my Dutch is as good as my klingon.
Old 08-18-2005, 05:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 CLK55
Originally Posted by matsna
Your a little fussy. The guy isn't native English either and has an amazing near native grasp of English. I dont see the issue with saying it either. Why not...try talking Dutch and see how far you get. I have lived in NL for a few years now and my Dutch is as good as my klingon.
I thought maybe I should help the guy out a little....give him some pointers.

Your Klingon must suck @ss!
Old 08-18-2005, 05:42 PM

2007 ML 320CDI
This is the guy that knows more about our cars than most people in these forums and his English is perfect, both spoken and written. Find something else to **** off about, Bud...
Old 08-18-2005, 09:49 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

some slow@$$diesels
Can I get it installed at the factory as a stand alone option? The dealer says no. It sounds like you are saying someone can? I'm just confused.
I will type this again...I will type a little slower this time as it might make it easier for you to grasp:

Mercedes [Daimler Chrysler Germany] - as a matter of fact - DOES let you get the rear sunshade as a SEPARATE option [this means that the people who take the orders at the factory don't care about how the car is specified...one will get it exactly as one wants it]...MBUSA [the branch of Daimler Chrysler YOU are dealing with] - however - offers it in a package deal...this is something MBUSA related. [this means that your MB dealership cannot order optioncode 540 - power rear sunshade as a separate option at daimler chrysler germany through MBUSA...hey can only order the shade in combination with other options]

'nuff said - greetingz,

Last edited by MBenzNL; 08-18-2005 at 09:52 PM.
Old 08-18-2005, 10:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 CLK55
I will type this again...I will type a little slower this time as it might make it easier for you to grasp:

Mercedes [Daimler Chrysler Germany] - as a matter of fact - DOES let you get the rear sunshade as a SEPARATE option [this means that the people who take the orders at the factory don't care about how the car is specified...one will get it exactly as one wants it]...MBUSA [the branch of Daimler Chrysler YOU are dealing with] - however - offers it in a package deal...this is something MBUSA related. [this means that your MB dealership cannot order optioncode 540 - power rear sunshade as a separate option at daimler chrysler germany through MBUSA...hey can only order the shade in combination with other options]

'nuff said - greetingz,

If translated properly, what you are saying is: "it can be done-but you can't do it".

That sucks.

- Bon Chance Mon Aime

(Sorry my french is worse than my Klingon)
Old 08-19-2005, 01:40 AM

2007 ML 320CDI
Back to the pedals...I am now convinced that the rubber on all 3 pedals can be easily peeled off. When I look at my friend's AMG though it looks like the AMG-style surface is freakin' glued onto the pedal. I don't want to pull too hard because I am afraid I might rip something off and damage the CLS55 but how the hell does the AMG style cover detach/re-attach to the pedal base? There are no screws or holes...
Old 08-19-2005, 01:51 AM

06 CLS500 + 99 ML320
Back to the pedals...I am now convinced that the rubber on all 3 pedals can be easily peeled off. When I look at my friend's AMG though it looks like the AMG-style surface is freakin' glued onto the pedal. I don't want to pull too hard because I am afraid I might rip something off and damage the CLS55 but how the hell does the AMG style cover detach/re-attach to the pedal base? There are no screws or holes...
The foot brake and brake pedal, I did both of them within 2 mins. The gas required to pull the rubber pin out behind the pedals and after you pull the pin out you need to slide the original rubber out and slide the new one in. After you slide the new one in just put the pin back and you done. It took me about 15 mins or so but most of time, I was sitting there and figure out how to do it... Hope this help.
Old 08-19-2005, 02:19 AM

2007 ML 320CDI
Hlkc, so even the AMG pedal cover is rubber based and can be easily manipulated and snapped on? Why was MBenzNL referring to R170 when talking about the gas pedal? I am guessing the pedals are the same? Also, any luck with the footrest? I know you've been hunting for that for some time... Is the footrest part of the carpet, stick-on, screw-on or what?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Rear Sunshade