CLS Coupe (C219) Discuss the CLS Coupe.

Buying One of These: 06 CLS55 AMG or 07 CLS550 w/ AMG kit

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 08:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buying One of These: 06 CLS55 AMG or 07 CLS550 w/ AMG kit

If you were given two choices, a 2006 CLS55 AMG and a 2007 CLS550 w/ AMG kit and all else is equal, which one would you go for (both used of course)?

I am thinking about buying one of them, but I can't figure out which one. I am not really a "performance driver" but I would rather have it than not. I really like the way AMG looks and I know that even if you have the kit, you still don't have the rotors/calipers/quad exhaust (that's about the only difference on the outside right?)

The only reason I would be getting the real AMG is for the added looks and prestige, not really for performance.

I know 2006 was the first model year of the CLS and usually first model year cars have some trouble...that's why I was thinking 2007. I was also thinking that maybe a real AMG car would be more expensive to fix if something where to happen to it than one that simply has an AMG kit, what do you think?

I know AMG uses up a bit more fuel too..but that's not a big deal for the performance boost it must give compared to the CLS550.

Also, does AMG get an extra warranty or any other extra benefits besides the added performance?

Thanks for your help!
Old 09-28-2008, 09:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
id probably say go with the AMG. Its more fun and looks better! Only thing that would hold me back is the SBC brakes.
Old 09-30-2008, 11:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63, GL450, Panamera S, lots of little British leakers
I'd take the 550

Having owned an early '06 CLS, and quite a number of high-performance cars, I'd take the 550 with the AMG kit... unless you are willing to absorb a huge loss at trade-in time.

CLS550: Lower operating cost, lower fuel cost, wider resale market.

Here in the southeast, there have recently been spot shortages of gas, (Charlotte, Nashville, elsewhere) especially premium. The CLS55/63 has a cruising range of less than 300 miles... so you'll be looking for gas pretty often.

Unless you are a dedicated, high-performance driver, I doubt you'll explore the added thrill of the AMG engine often enough to justify the added purchase and depreciation cost.

Drive a 550 on a fast, windy country road. If you dont find yourself using half or more throttle very often, you don't really need the added boost of the AMG version.

The regular 550 is a great platform with more than adequate power and, with the AMG package, its a very good handling for a car its size. I think you'll be very happy with it.

Also, 06 was the first model year for the CLS, but many of these cars were in service in early 2005... mine was. Check the build date on the one you are looking at.