CLS Coupe (C219) Discuss the CLS Coupe.

Problems w/08 CLS 550

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 10:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS550
Problems w/08 CLS 550

I'm having trouble with a couple of features on my 08 CLS550 and I'm hoping someone here can help me. My dealer tells me that the features won't work, but I have a sneaking suspicion that they're lying to me.

First problem: I cannot set the outside rearview mirrors to pan down when I put the car in reverse. I've tried everything in the manual, but it just won't work. I asked the dealer about it and they told me that it was an error in the manual and this model of car doesn't have that feature.

Second problem: I can't use the steering wheel control to change between presets while using satellite radio. It works just fine on over the air radio, but not when I switch to Sirius. Again, dealer says it's a quirk in the controls.

Do any of you guys have the same car and are able to use these features?

Again, any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-24-2008, 02:52 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I have an 08 CLS too. For the panning down feature when car is in reverse...I believe the CLS does not have that. My CL did though.
Old 11-24-2008, 02:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
same thing with my car. i just made drivers seat preset number 3 pan the mirrors down.
Old 11-24-2008, 03:53 PM

Thanks to one of the feedback from another forum had me look deeper into this issue and found the solution. Damn dealer doesn't know *****. The tilt mirror option does work. It is in the manual on page 184 and 125, it shows you how to set it up. The damn dealer say that the option wasn't available. How sad is that they sell these cars and have no knowledge.

Last edited by apdesign; 11-25-2008 at 02:48 AM.
Old 11-24-2008, 04:00 PM

Mercedes CLS
I have the facelift model and the pan down reverse feature only works when you have the passengers side mirror selected. It will not work if the drivers side mirror is selected. Hope that helps.

As for the satellite radio, can't help as we do not have that feature on Oz.
Old 11-24-2008, 09:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
hmm, ill have to look at my owners manual for once haha. what is your build date apdesign?
Old 11-25-2008, 12:35 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 CLS550, 2001 C240
The tilt down it doesn't work. I have an 08.. same thing. YEs it is in the manual, it says exactly how to set it though it is not working. The dealer said the feature is not yet available in the 08. This is bull****, I bet it can be programmed but they don't bother. Someone a long time ago if I remember well posted that the dealer fixed it for him... Anybody, had any luck?
Old 11-25-2008, 02:52 AM

Originally Posted by Kar don
hmm, ill have to look at my owners manual for once haha. what is your build date apdesign?
I recall seeing it somewhere in my paperwork in March 08, need to double check though. Where can I find it exactly?
Old 11-26-2008, 08:38 PM
Almost a Member!

CLS550
I took my '08 in for the sat feature and they said that the unit in the CLS doesn't allow the steering wheel to scroll thru the station presets. Seems like bull but hearing all the complaints it seems this is true. As far as the mirrors tilting down, I know that many MBZ models don't have that feature anymore. I've had MBZ that had the feature and actually didn't care for it.
Old 11-27-2008, 04:38 AM

CLS63
Bring it to the dealer and ask them to activate it using STAR. It's there.
Old 12-01-2008, 10:46 AM

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts
2018 E400 4matic Wagon
Originally Posted by dbsallen
Bring it to the dealer and ask them to activate it using STAR. It's there.
I have a 2008 E350 wagon, and MB eliminated the mirror tilt-down feature starting in 2007, so it may be the same for CLS' as well. However, before I picked up my car, I asked my salesman to have the service dept activate/enable this feature using Star Diagnostics. He had never heard of this being done before, and neither had the service dept, but when I picked up the car it was working. When I go into the multi-function display, under "settings" I can activate or de-activate it now. Also, note that the mirror selector has to be in the right side position for the tilt down to work.

In terms of the SAT preset scrolling, on my car you can set the steering wheel buttons to skip to the next present when listening to regular radio, but, strangely, when listening to SAT, it will only skip to the next station. This is explained in the manual.
Old 12-01-2008, 01:47 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
SAT preset scrolling via steering wheel

...is only possible with the MY09 models and the new head unit. Strange but true.
Old 12-02-2008, 08:49 PM

mercedes cls550
smart key user recognition and passenger side auto dimmer features are also missing in the cls550. in my BMW 3 series i had when i use to open the door the seats started to move back to previous setting without me even sitting in the car. and the memory buttons for seats were one touch not like the cls where u have to hold the button until the seat fully moves. good thing is i only leased it for 24 months. then i am back to BMW.since a simple 1 series has more features than Mercedes cars now days.
Old 12-24-2008, 01:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
08 CLS550 Diamond White 09upgrades
maybe

Originally Posted by saala
smart key user recognition and passenger side auto dimmer features are also missing in the cls550. in my BMW 3 series i had when i use to open the door the seats started to move back to previous setting without me even sitting in the car. and the memory buttons for seats were one touch not like the cls where u have to hold the button until the seat fully moves. good thing is i only leased it for 24 months. then i am back to BMW.since a simple 1 series has more features than Mercedes cars now days.
Hey Saala, the seats moving to previous settings should work with the 2 keys. did you go to the settings and change the convenient to YES ?

I just pick up my MY08 White Diamond will test it out after the holidays. or mostlikey sooner
Old 01-02-2009, 05:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
08 CLS550 Diamond White 09upgrades
Originally Posted by apdesign
I recall seeing it somewhere in my paperwork in March 08, need to double check though. Where can I find it exactly?
build date can be seen on the side of driver's door open there's a black sticker showing VIN and on the top right is the build date...

so your works? the mirror tilt-down feature ???

i talked to MBUSA and they said it was "deleted" in the later build MY2006+ CLS and E class...... the bigger question is "WHY" consider that the feature can be deactivated.... DAMN engineers