CLS Coupe (C219) Discuss the CLS Coupe.

Is your CLS your Daily Driver?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 10:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
CLS63 Designo Edition, Hyundai Genesis 3.8 , Veloster Turbo, CLS500(Sold), E320 (SMOKED) R500 (Sold)
I drive mine Friday-Sunday. I usually drive the E to work, that is to balance miles out to a degree.

For the most part, I could give less than a damn what people think. I drive the cars because I enjoy them. No posing, or bragging about it. We worked hard to have the lifestyle we wanted and enjoy it.

I tell you, a lot of people are really not too bright. As Ini4life said, these cars can be had for $50K or less now, 550, 55 and 63 in some cases, although some 63's are in the $60 range. Buying a car for $50K or less does not make you rich by any means.

The CLS is stylish, sporty, and has a different look that sets it apart from most cars, even ones more expensive.
Old 04-07-2010, 10:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS 320 CDi
I drive mine every day ,And why Not! Even though my car isnt up to your amg spec cars its only a 320 cdi I get comments from people nearly every day saying what a beautiful car she is , and when i tell them i average over 40mpg they never believe me . I traded my BMW E61 530d in for my CLS and I can Honestly say its the best deal Ive ever done.
I find every excuse possible to go out in it even though we have two other cars in the household and I must admit I cant help looking at her reflection in shop windows as I go past.
Pure Perfection
Old 04-07-2010, 09:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
S 63
I wish we had cdi here,.. I didn't buy this big ole boat to pretend its a sportscar =) I would however convert to AMG body styling as it just appeals to me.
Old 04-07-2010, 10:51 PM

CLS 320 CDi
Just wouldnt pay me to put on an AMG bodykit as Insurance companies over here wring every penny possible out of you as it is.
I'm quite content wiyh my OMGIB body styling! (Oh My God Its Beautiful)
I have never had as many positive comments about a car from strangers before and Ive had Jaguars, Daimlers, BMW's, Audis and even an Aston Martin, Ok so the Aston was a 87 Lagonda and it wasnt the prettiest of cars but still my CLS stands out Head and Shoulders above all of them.
I will never Understand why Americans are not into Diesel cars with the distances you travel. I can on a good Run get 750 uk miles out of one Tank of fuel, and Yes I know the price of fuel is considerably cheaper in the states but come on My standard 320 cdi still does 0 to 60 in just under 7 seconds and although the book says she tops out at 153 miles per hour i have sat with my friends Audi RS6 on German Autobahns and He rekons his speedo was showing 160mph and his tom tom showed we were doing 157mph. Thats with No mods,
My local MB Stealer Says thats not unusual as the engine was designed to take more power than it was actually given and when my car was last serviced they did an output diagnostic on my car and it was putting down 254bhp and 620nm torque. Thats a bit different from the 221bhp and 550nm that MB says is Standard. And Again this car has No Mods..OOps I Tell a Lie I put Cup holders in the small cubby at the front of the armrest in the middle of the car!
My MB stealer has been trying to convince me to have a £850 Brabus Chip fitted but when we actually get in to output figures again the Power gain wouldnt be much more than I already Have.
So I am quite happy to use my Beauty as an every day car and as there are so many speed cameras and police Radar Traps in this Mony Grabbing Country its quite easy to lose your licence over here so I drive along being a good citizen and abiding by the speed limits ( YEAH RIGHT ) and getting my 40+ mpg and its when I travel into Europe I can actually drive the Car The way it was designed to be Driven, as a milage muncher,
Ive only ever been pulled over once by the police and that was in France when I was sat at 130mph and the reason the officer stopped me ............Because I didnt Have my Headlights on and he let me go on with out even a fine!
So Even the Froggies Love my CLS and lets face it they hate everything English or German
Old 04-08-2010, 08:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
S 63
Originally Posted by Firststar
So Even the Froggies Love my CLS and lets face it they hate everything English or German
Great story,.. Froggies,.. I love it!!
Old 04-09-2010, 03:28 AM

Mercedes C Class
Originally Posted by Cyberous
Great story,.. Froggies,.. I love it!!
if they hate everything german and english then they will get pi**ed off if they see a Mercedes Mclaren.
Old 04-09-2010, 06:33 PM

2011 ML350 & 2011 SL550
My CLS used to be my daily driver, but I just opened up a pharmacy that is less than one mile from my house. I just drive my old beater pick-up truck (looks better when my customers see me getting out of my truck, when the prices of some of their prescriptions are so damn high).

Nice to drive the CLS on the weekends - been able to keep it out of the rain for the last 2 months, too! 2010 with only 3600 miles... all in the first two months!
Old 04-28-2010, 07:23 PM

06 cls 500 98 tahoe 93 buick
I live right around the corner from my job so it doesnt matter what i drive to work, but i mostly drive my truck until Friday.
Old 04-29-2010, 07:55 PM

CLS 320 CDi
Originally Posted by mtownfinest
I live right around the corner from my job so it doesnt matter what i drive to work, but i mostly drive my truck until Friday.
There you Go Ive just returned from a thousand mile round Trip to Scotland visiting Relatives and my car has averaged 43.6 miles to the gallon and that was at motorway speeds averaging 80-85mph.
Sat in pure comfort at just over 2000 revs listening to excellent stereo ( I am an 80s Music Fan ) getting out at each end of the journey completely relaxed and with no aches apart from my wallet as diesel is now over £6.00 per gallon or $9.2039. But as I stated before this car can easily be used as a daily commute but i am not convinced that a big petrol engined version would be as viable to use daily.
Not sure what the cost would have been for a petrol model to do the same journey but I am positive it would have been substantially more.
Old 04-30-2010, 10:58 PM

06' MB CLS500/07' BMW R1200GS/08' Buick Enclave/02' Dodge Ram QC/98' Jeep Cherokee (4x4 Toy)
Just bought mine, but it will stay in the garage during the work week. Same reasons as others....my customers would assume they're paying a premium for my high-dollar car, although it cost me less used than they paid for theirs new. I also don't care to let it sit in a busy parking lot while baking in 100 degree sun 10 hrs a day.
Old 05-01-2010, 08:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 CLS500 with 55 AMG motor, 2008 Infiniti G35, 2000 Plymouth Grand Voyager
I drive mine approx twice a week. I prefer abusing my minivan everyday, and lack of concern over where to park it, etc. I also take my kids to day care everyday with my minivan. Yes, I am a soccer dad, lol! I try to avoid taking the CLS to work (Washington DC), because I think about it all day long.
Old 07-23-2010, 08:03 PM

CLS 500
wish I had a longer commute

My CLS is my daily driver. It's too cool to leave parked. I have good garage parking at work. Turns lots of heads.
Attached Thumbnails Is your CLS your Daily Driver?-glint.jpg  

Last edited by DarrylCLS; 07-25-2010 at 10:31 AM. Reason: add photo
Old 08-13-2010, 01:31 AM

06' CLS 500, DB9 (SOON)
drive my car everyday. my wife drives it more than i do now since she needs it monday to friday every morning because of her school. i love driving my car and going to drive it hard until it dies.
Old 09-11-2010, 02:04 PM

M-B CLS550
I just bought a used 2007 and drive it as much as possible - that is why I bought it! It's a kick butt sports car in a refined package. Yeah, I get the snarky comments too, but just blow them off. Only concern is working on the car myself - MB tries too hard to make you go their dealerships for service.
Old 09-30-2010, 07:24 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
Originally Posted by advrider
Just bought mine, but it will stay in the garage during the work week. Same reasons as others....my customers would assume they're paying a premium for my high-dollar car, although it cost me less used than they paid for theirs new. I also don't care to let it sit in a busy parking lot while baking in 100 degree sun 10 hrs a day.
I'm surprised more people don't mention that parking factor (those who it applies to).

If my work is relatively close to my house, and it offers lousy parking (too vulnerable to getting dinged, out in the sun all day, etc.), I'd rather leave it in the garage during those times, rather than let it get beat up while I'm not even in it.

Funny how everyone has a different outlook on getting their money's worth.

I don't have a CLS, but my Malibu takes the work-related trips, which puts a ton of miles on it. I try and drive my E as much as possible, but when I'm not driving for work, I'm always local. So it's always a "Sunday"-esque type of drive in my E, even if I'm cruising around and running errands, so the miles stay extremely low (I don't even care how many miles it has to be honest, if it looks good, it looks good ). It is a bummer as I want to feel like I get my "money's worth", but I do love always coming to a pristine car. And not driving it like crazy keeps it feeling special to me, for a much longer period of time at that.