CLS Coupe (C219) Discuss the CLS Coupe.

CLS Fog Lamp Replacement DIY

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 12:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
CLS63 Designo Edition, Hyundai Genesis 3.8 , Veloster Turbo, CLS500(Sold), E320 (SMOKED) R500 (Sold)
CLS Fog Lamp Replacement DIY

I had to replace my fog lamp recently, as it got smacked with a rock on the road. This is how to change it, and applies to the CLS w/AMG package and also the CLS AMG's.

Time: 20 minutes
Difficulty: 3 on on scale of 10
Tools Needed: Torx 25 screwdriver and/or ratchet

First things first. Get the three screws out of the front piece the fog light is recessed in.

You should have this piece off:

After that, time to get the fog light out. There are four screws on each point corner. Get those out, make sure to hold the fog light with your hand at the bottom on the last screw.

Now that the lamp is loose, pull the rubber seal loose gently.
Take your fingers and release the back clip over the light, and pull the light out. The lamp assembly should be loose, and will see the seal, light and the plug:

At this point to get the fog lamp out, **** it at a 25 degree angle sideways and pull it out of the hole. Take the old light off of the plug. (I cleaned my rubber seal up also)

Now take the old lamp assembly and pull off the metal brackets at each corner. They will slide off easily. (Yes that glass is broken badly )

Now take those brackets, slide them on the new lamp on each corner where the holes are.

Now, guide the new lamp in the hole, plug the light up, and reseal the rubber plug. Mount the assembly and screw it in. Put the plastic recess piece back in, and done.

Now, this is an easy fix. I don't like the Depo lights, as they look different and are not OEM. I got the Hella OEM replacements here: Pelican Parts.

The exact link: http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/...%20772).%20%20

Pelican Parts are fast, tell you what is in stock and how many on the site before ordering, and stock most if not all OEM parts for Mercedes and more. I definitely recommend them, hope this helps others.

Last edited by bigben320e; 11-29-2010 at 12:31 AM.
The following users liked this post:
PelicanParts.com (11-14-2017)
Old 12-02-2010, 06:05 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
a little bit of this... a little bit of that
Good DIY info.

Thanks
Old 02-05-2011, 11:33 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
07 CLS63 | 06 SLK350
Thank you! Just noticed my driver side fog glass broke (don't remember when)...

placed an order through pelican... cheapest I could find at $64... parts.com listed it at $117...

arrives tuesday, till then I duct-taped her
The following users liked this post:
PelicanParts.com (11-14-2017)
Old 02-06-2011, 12:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS 550 AMG pckg
Question

were you replacing the whole assembly or just the fog light bulb?

Is this the recomended way you would suggest to replace the bulb? If not what method is the correct or easiest way to replace the bulb?
Old 11-13-2017, 05:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi there, my fog lamp is busted. Is this hella part the only item I will need or is there a casing also that I need to change?

Originally Posted by bigben320e
I had to replace my fog lamp recently, as it got smacked with a rock on the road. This is how to change it, and applies to the CLS w/AMG package and also the CLS AMG's.

First things first. Get the three screws out of the front piece the fog light is recessed in.

After that, time to get the fog light out. There are four screws on each point corner. Get those out, make sure to hold the fog light with your hand at the bottom on the last screw.

Take your fingers and release the back clip over the light, and pull the light out. The lamp assembly should be loose, and will see the seal, light and the plug:

At this point to get the fog lamp out, **** it at a 25 degree angle sideways and pull it out of the hole. Take the old light off of the plug. (I cleaned my rubber seal up also)

Now take the old lamp assembly and pull off the metal brackets at each corner. They will slide off easily. (Yes that glass is broken badly )

Now take those brackets, slide them on the new lamp on each corner where the holes are.

Now, guide the new lamp in the hole, plug the light up, and reseal the rubber plug. Mount the assembly and screw it in. Put the plastic recess piece back in, and done.

Now, this is an easy fix. I don't like the Depo lights, as they look different and are not OEM. I got the Hella OEM replacements here: Pelican Parts.

Pelican Parts are fast, tell you what is in stock and how many on the site before ordering, and stock most if not all OEM parts for Mercedes and more. I definitely recommend them, hope this helps others.
Old 11-13-2017, 10:08 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,417 Likes on 3,146 Posts
'71 Pinto

Need fog lamp assembly comparison shop OEM part # 2518200756 (w/out AMG styling) see attachments for replacement.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
CLS fog lamps.pdf (224.8 KB, 199 views)
Old 11-13-2017, 04:10 PM

Thanks for the pdf instructions that explain how to do the swap. My car has the 772 AMG Sport package, wouldn't "OEM part # 2518200756 (w/out AMG styling) " be the wrong part then?

Originally Posted by konigstiger

Need fog lamp assembly comparison shop OEM part # 2518200756 (w/out AMG styling) see attachments for replacement.
Old 11-13-2017, 04:25 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,417 Likes on 3,146 Posts
'71 Pinto

2308200556 with AMG see attachment.
Old 11-13-2017, 04:29 PM

Thanks for the followup. I'm glad to see that the same fog light is used on left and right.

Originally Posted by konigstiger

2308200556 with AMG see attachment.
Old 11-19-2017, 04:47 AM

Hey quick question, is your swap instructions implying the entire swap procedure can be done from the front of the car, that I don't have to raise the car and remove the bottom shield below the bumper?

thanks in advance

Originally Posted by bigben320e

Old 12-07-2017, 02:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
CLS63 Designo Edition, Hyundai Genesis 3.8 , Veloster Turbo, CLS500(Sold), E320 (SMOKED) R500 (Sold)
Originally Posted by realog
Hey quick question, is your swap instructions implying the entire swap procedure can be done from the front of the car, that I don't have to raise the car and remove the bottom shield below the bumper?

thanks in advance
Hey, you don't have to jack the car up at all. Follow the directions, take the screws out and remove the plastic grille piece, and you are good.