CLS Coupe (C219) Discuss the CLS Coupe.

Headlight change. Question regarding that "danger" MB claims.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 01:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS 550
Headlight change. Question regarding that "danger" MB claims.

I bought Sylvania SilverStar Ultra's today, just want something a bit less yellow. The Operating Manual says there is danger in changing them yourself due to high voltage in the unit, I think it's just a ploy to get me to go pay a Mercedes Tech fee. My question is, if I have everything OFF when I do this, will I get the crap shocked out of me? ..To be frank lol.
Old 01-03-2011, 01:26 PM

I wasn't worried about getting shocked...they are a bit$h to change tho. Easy to get out, hard to put back in. But not sure what you mean by "everything off"..do you mean unplug the batteries? I just changed mine(no keys in ignition).

p.s.I put Sylvania Silverstar Ultra's in my car and I didn't like the color of them(seem more yellowish white than the stocks.)

Originally Posted by 22withCLasS
I bought Sylvania SilverStar Ultra's today, just want something a bit less yellow. The Operating Manual says there is danger in changing them yourself due to high voltage in the unit, I think it's just a ploy to get me to go pay a Mercedes Tech fee. My question is, if I have everything OFF when I do this, will I get the crap shocked out of me? ..To be frank lol.
Old 01-03-2011, 02:44 PM

CLS 550
FYI...automobiles run on a 12 volt battery...don't know what kind of "shock" you can get from 12 volts, but don't think it will kill you.
Old 01-05-2011, 09:20 AM

CLS 550
Of course I know it won't kill me lol but if there's any way to avoid a shock I'll go that route haha.

erifly, the Ultra's are are a bit brighter, not so much bluer I've noticed. Have you done anything to your heads to get them bluer? It's funny, I know almost anything there is to know about a car EXCEPT headlights. I know HID kits are how you get the "good" type of blue, but is there any way around that with our headlights? To get a good daylight blue?
Old 01-05-2011, 03:09 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
w205 C63s, w212 E63,w219CLS500-SOLD! w211 E63, 2006 E60 M5 (KABOOM!)
The "high voltage" is referring to those vehicles with HID lighting. (high intensity discharge requires high voltage to create the arc to ignite the gas inthe bulb) If you have a standard incandescent H7 bulb, there is no real danger other than trying to change the bulb with your headlights on, in which case you could be burned. They are rather difficult to change, but after doing it once, you realize the nuances required to change them and it doesnt take long. I replaced my H7 incandescent bulbs with HID and couldnt be happier.