CLS Coupe (C219) Discuss the CLS Coupe.

2007 CLS550 transmission fluid replacement/flush?

Old 04-06-2011, 04:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lexus GS400
2007 CLS550 transmission fluid replacement/flush?

Hey guys. My car has just recently reached the 50K mark. I bought the car with 42k miles. I am wondering if the car had its transmission fluid replaced since then. If not, does the car need its transmission fluid replaced? If so, does anyone on this forum have a write-up on this? I will be attempting this procedure in the next several days. Thanks in advance!
Old 04-12-2011, 12:11 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2007 CLS550
Below is the procedure to service the 7-speed transmission. I got it on the web somewhere, but I can't remember where. I was scared by the complexity of the procedure so I had mine serviced at an independent Mercedes dealer (MB Elite in Newport Beach) for about $225. The oil alone is about $120 and the filter about $15. The dealers want $425 and up.

1) Don't flush the transmission
2) No torque converter drain plug
3) You can service the pan easily
4) Use ONLY MB fluids that meet the spec for your transmission – 9.7 quarts of “MB Automatic Transmission Fluid
5) Use only MB filter/gasket kit
6) You will need a dipstick available on ebay to measure the level before you drain the fluid with the engine warm.
7) The transmission tube will have a squareish plug and safety lock tap
8) You must break off the safety lock (red) tab and push it through to remove the cap
9) The pan removes easily. Pay attention to the factory jigs to be sure to install them as they were from the factory. This prevents over tightening of the gasket.
10) Remove the pan and catch ALL the fluid. Measure this to verify how much you took out.
11) Clean the pan note where the magnet is attached, remove and clean it
12) Remove the filter and install new filter be sure to seat the o-rings on the filter and install the retaining bolt.
13) Install the pan w/gasket using no sealers just the factory gasket
14) Tighten until the factory jig seats the gasket (this determines the correct compression). Then add total torque as listed in the manual. Don't have it with me now.
15) Refill transmission, warm up and verify the level. LEVEL IS IMPORTANT
The seven speed 229.5 unit also has a very specific procedure for checking the fluid level. The fluid has to be checked at either 30 degrees C or 35 degrees C. The level checking temperature depends upon which pan it is equipped with. At the correct temperature, after filling, the fluid is allowed to drain from the pan, until the stream is about the size of a #2 pencil, then the plug is reinserted.

The author of the above procedure also said "I am about to change the fluid in my 2005 E500 seven speed unit, and feel that a Fluke 62 infrared thermometer aimed at the transmission pan will tell me when the fluid temperature is correct for level checking. I have also manufactured a "filling port" from a transmission drain/fill plug."

Last edited by Art-by-Art; 04-12-2011 at 12:14 AM.
Old 05-07-2011, 05:22 AM

Lexus GS400
Originally Posted by Art-by-Art
Below is the procedure to service the 7-speed transmission. I got it on the web somewhere, but I can't remember where. I was scared by the complexity of the procedure so I had mine serviced at an independent Mercedes dealer (MB Elite in Newport Beach) for about $225. The oil alone is about $120 and the filter about $15. The dealers want $425 and up.

1) Don't flush the transmission
2) No torque converter drain plug
3) You can service the pan easily
4) Use ONLY MB fluids that meet the spec for your transmission – 9.7 quarts of “MB Automatic Transmission Fluid
5) Use only MB filter/gasket kit
6) You will need a dipstick available on ebay to measure the level before you drain the fluid with the engine warm.
8) You must break off the safety lock (red) tab and push it through to remove the cap
9) The pan removes easily. Pay attention to the factory jigs to be sure to install them as they were from the factory. This prevents over tightening of the gasket.
10) Remove the pan and catch ALL the fluid. Measure this to verify how much you took out.
11) Clean the pan note where the magnet is attached, remove and clean it
12) Remove the filter and install new filter be sure to seat the o-rings on the filter and install the retaining bolt.
13) Install the pan w/gasket using no sealers just the factory gasket
14) Tighten until the factory jig seats the gasket (this determines the correct compression). Then add total torque as listed in the manual. Don't have it with me now.
15) Refill transmission, warm up and verify the level. LEVEL IS IMPORTANT
The seven speed 229.5 unit also has a very specific procedure for checking the fluid level. The fluid has to be checked at either 30 degrees C or 35 degrees C. The level checking temperature depends upon which pan it is equipped with. At the correct temperature, after filling, the fluid is allowed to drain from the pan, until the stream is about the size of a #2 pencil, then the plug is reinserted.

The author of the above procedure also said "I am about to change the fluid in my 2005 E500 seven speed unit, and feel that a Fluke 62 infrared thermometer aimed at the transmission pan will tell me when the fluid temperature is correct for level checking. I have also manufactured a "filling port" from a transmission drain/fill plug."
I really appreciate your post! It's very helpful! I am having trouble comprehending your #15. Can you please elaborate on:

At the correct temperature, after filling, the fluid is allowed to drain from the pan, until the stream is about the size of a #2 pencil, then the plug is reinserted.

So you open the drain plug again to check?

Van
Old 05-07-2011, 05:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLS550
I did my service following this article.

https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...ce-thread.html
The following users liked this post:
McDaddy10 (01-28-2020)
Old 05-07-2011, 12:16 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2007 CLS550
To whazzzzuup - Answer to question about checking transmission fluid level:

Old 05-07-2011, 05:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLS550
I have a 2007. Didn't use the dipstick method.
Old 07-13-2017, 08:37 AM

Mercedes cls550
Originally Posted by whazzzzuup
Hey guys. My car has just recently reached the 50K mark. I bought the car with 42k miles. I am wondering if the car had its transmission fluid replaced since then. If not, does the car need its transmission fluid replaced? If so, does anyone on this forum have a write-up on this? I will be attempting this procedure in the next several days. Thanks in advance!
suggested transmission to be maintenance every 50k miles.
Old 07-13-2017, 03:09 PM

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts
2010 e550 coupe
Do you need 9.7 quarts since you're not doing a flush? I thought it was closer to 4 quarts from the pan.
Old 09-03-2019, 03:16 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2007 S600
W219 in that era has no dipstick...