CLS Coupe (C219) Discuss the CLS Coupe.

Harman Kardon

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 12:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Harman Kardon

Hey guys im new to Benz i was a beamer guy..I just got a questiong about the system my 2008 cls550 comes with Harman logiz 7...But i honest think its to low even when maxed..My 750 used to have logic 7 and play ultra clear and loud..My question is can i upgrade it get a better amp something??
Old 07-09-2011, 01:39 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
a little bit of this... a little bit of that
I don;t know where you are at (geographically) but as any audiophile states; "You just can't get enough out of a stock system".

If you find that it doesn't punch you hard enough in the gut, maybe go to a reputable installer who understands MB's and won't do a hack job and see what they say about changing out amps.

I think the 7 had a bigger amp running it.
Old 07-09-2011, 09:45 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
05 CL65 AMG, 07 Ferrari F430, 03 Range Rover HSE
You can do anything with enough cash. However, there is no replacement fiber optic amp available, and the BMW amp won't work. You CAN replace the system, if you are prepared for all the minuses that come with the pluses
Old 07-09-2011, 10:08 AM

So its no way to enhance the sound without changing it?
Old 07-09-2011, 10:18 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

NOthing simple at least. At a minimum you would need to change the amp, get something like our PreTwo (preamp) and possibly change the speakers if it was not to your liking.

A great thing about the system in a Mercedes (that some people curse), is that it is a closed loop self monitoring system. It will only go to a volume that it can maintain without damage to the speakers and amp. Kind of like a governor. Many people in other marques come to us with blown out speakers or an amp that becomes flakey - and try to tell us that they don't listen that loud that often. It only takes a minute of listening with clipping and distortion to kill speakers and even less to start damaging an amp. Your car only has so much nearly air tight volume, and you can only do so much with that air without distortion (rolling the windows down). Although damage can happen in a Mercedes, it is very rare compared to other marques.
Old 07-09-2011, 10:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
G350 Bluetec
Originally Posted by Flyboy50dab55
So its no way to enhance the sound without changing it?
Use high resolution source material like 24bit/96k lossless.
Old 07-09-2011, 10:23 AM

no mb
If it's truly not loud enough, it could be that the mic is misplaced, or an adjustment in Star.
Old 07-09-2011, 10:26 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Originally Posted by grane
Use high resolution source material like 24bit/96k lossless.
Of course cr*p in = cr*p out!!

Warning: Off topic content below - sort of
In my opinion there are some forms of music that no matter what bitrate, and no matter lossless format, it is still cr*p and sounds like cr*p on any system..
Old 07-09-2011, 10:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G350 Bluetec
Originally Posted by Cartronics
Of course cr*p in = cr*p out!!

Warning: Off topic content below - sort of
In my opinion there are some forms of music that no matter what bitrate, and no matter lossless format, it is still cr*p and sounds like cr*p on any system..
Old 07-09-2011, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by Quantum
If it's truly not loud enough, it could be that the mic is misplaced, or an adjustment in Star.

Im new to the Cls so can you elaborate plz...
Old 07-09-2011, 01:57 PM

Mercedes Benz CLS550
I don't think everyone has responded clear to your question.

1. As far as keeping the stock command unit and stock speakers and say..upgrade only the "amp" to improve the sound of your current system..I'm not sure, but don't think so. Maybe?

2. If you were to keep the stock command unit and replace the speakers, and amps...Absolutely! BUT, you have to get it done correctly. You're in the Benz so it
won't be cheap because of the Logic 7. If you have excellent quality speakers, subs & amps, plus professional installation etc. You're looking at $3000-$4000 minimum for a decent sounding setup.
Old 07-09-2011, 02:00 PM

no mb
The audio system has feedback, so the practical sound level never exceeds the physical capability of the drivers. So it has a microphone, which monitors and helps control max audio level. If that mic is aimed at a speaker it may keep the volume incorrectly low. I don't know where it is in a CLS.

Star is a software application at Benz repair facilities that adjusts various parameters in the computers. It could be that a setting needs to be changed in the audio system.

You would think that with the expense of a Benz audio system, that they would build in noise cancellation. Special drivers that make an inverse audio sound which cancels road and wind noise, making all perfectly silent except the music (which it also monitors).

Then again, too aggressive a noise cancellation may cancel out conversation!

Last edited by Quantum; 07-09-2011 at 02:07 PM.
Old 07-09-2011, 02:30 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

It uses the mic array in the rear view mirror, combined with speed sensors to help determine wind and road noise probability, as well as sunroof and window position sensors. That is why when you open the sunroof or window the volume automatically goes up, or when you come to a stop it dips down a little when listening at 'normal' levels. High levels override most of these features. So if you don't notice these features, you are annoying your neighbors .
There is not much that can be done about the feedback loop, and not really possible for a mic to be in the wrong place. There is not much of any adjustment available in the Star DAS dealer computer either (very minor things can be done)
Old 07-09-2011, 10:21 PM

Ok thanks ill just leave it be....Appreciate the prompt responses fellas!
Old 10-13-2011, 02:18 PM

CLS 550 2010
Ya I know this thread is a tiny bit old, but I couldn't leave it be without some more information.

I don't think anyone addressed the fact that you can install higher efficiency speakers to drastically improve a low power system.

Most speakers are mid 80s dB efficiency, every 3dB on top of that is doubling the power efficiency of that particular speaker.

What I'm saying is that you can easily double your output power of your amplifier if you change some of your speakers, especially your subwoofer to a high efficiency >90dB model.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...-SW2501S4.html

Or the center channel.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...pa-32.9cf.html

Last edited by toreador; 10-13-2011 at 02:43 PM.
Old 10-13-2011, 02:32 PM

CLS 550 2010
Here is a great resource comparing the system before and after the 2009 refresh.

http://files.shareholder.com/downloa.../4-14-2008.pdf
Old 10-28-2011, 05:41 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2019 S65 Coupe, 2005 Ford GT, 2013 Viper, 2011 Boxster Spyder, 928 GT
Originally Posted by Cartronics
It uses the mic array in the rear view mirror, combined with speed sensors to help determine wind and road noise probability, as well as sunroof and window position sensors. That is why when you open the sunroof or window the volume automatically goes up, or when you come to a stop it dips down a little when listening at 'normal' levels. High levels override most of these features. So if you don't notice these features, you are annoying your neighbors .
There is not much that can be done about the feedback loop, and not really possible for a mic to be in the wrong place. There is not much of any adjustment available in the Star DAS dealer computer either (very minor things can be done)
I just put in an aftermarket system consisting of sub, amps and speakers in 2007 CL600 using an Audison Bit 10 to get the signal after the stock amp. Sounds great except for one issue. When I play music that is heavy on the base and the sub gets going the head unit thinks there is an increase in cabin noise and raises the volume substantially. Is there anyway to defeat this or get around it? The result is that I am constantly fiddling with the volume knob. Did I understand your post correctly that there is no defeat or adjustment that the DAS system can do? Thx
Old 10-28-2011, 08:44 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

You can turn off speed sensitive volume control , but I have yet to find a setting for the feedback loop.
Old 10-28-2011, 09:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G350 Bluetec
Originally Posted by andymlow
I just put in an aftermarket system consisting of sub, amps and speakers in 2007 CL600 using an Audison Bit 10 to get the signal after the stock amp. Sounds great except for one issue. When I play music that is heavy on the base and the sub gets going the head unit thinks there is an increase in cabin noise and raises the volume substantially. Is there anyway to defeat this or get around it? The result is that I am constantly fiddling with the volume knob. Did I understand your post correctly that there is no defeat or adjustment that the DAS system can do? Thx
Obviously the DAS system is very intelligent. Frankly there maybe good auditory health reasons why it limits distortion.
Old 10-29-2011, 03:40 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2019 S65 Coupe, 2005 Ford GT, 2013 Viper, 2011 Boxster Spyder, 928 GT
Originally Posted by grane
Obviously the DAS system is very intelligent. Frankly there maybe good auditory health reasons why it limits distortion.
Actually the Harmon-Kardon system is working the other way around. The system is increasing the volume and it is doing it in response to itself - kind of a feedback loop gone awry.