Squeaky window? Here's how to fix it.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-12-2014, 03:41 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,415 Likes on 3,145 Posts
'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by Cazzanomix337
I would like to get the instructions for the door panel removal.
http://workshop-manuals.com/mercedes...d_replacement/
Old 09-22-2015, 03:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 CLS550 Designo; 2009 Mini Cooper; 2011 BMW 335d
Thanks to OP I just fixed the horrible squeak on my passenger front window on my CLS550. Just to clarify, the entire door panel DOESN'T need to be removed. Only the door speaker grill and speaker need to be removed to access the rail that was shown by the OP. Just remove the plastic speaker grill, and 3 torx screws to remove the speaker.
Old 10-05-2015, 06:38 PM
PREMIUM SPONSOR

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
AMG

Last edited by oliver@velosdesignwerks.com; 10-13-2015 at 07:25 PM.
Old 10-13-2015, 07:24 PM
PREMIUM SPONSOR

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
AMG
Originally Posted by jaedee
First you need to remove the door panel, (I can post instructions for that, but most people that have the noise issue, have been in the door already.) Image 1 shows the rail which the window rides on. It is this rail that I put some synthetic silicone based grease on. If you remove the speaker, you will have access to the entire rail via the hole provided by the speaker being gone. Just apply grease to this rail and the noise will be a thing of the past. Best dang mod I've done to my car yet, and I've done quite a few. Put the door back together and enjoy the silence.

P.S. In case anybody is wondering, the glass does not make contact with this rail, so there will be grease on your glass.
can you send me the instructions please

albert@velosdesignwerks.com
Old 07-03-2016, 03:13 PM

2005 CLS 500
Jade, first off great write up not this topic, I live in the tropics and rarely have temps lower than 85. My from t windows are getting notably worse and I not try to never roll them down. That said; and if you still have them handy, could you possibly send me thee instructions on the MB CLS 219 door panel removal andrew@benson.ky.

Thanks

Andrew
Old 07-03-2016, 04:26 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,415 Likes on 3,145 Posts
'71 Pinto
AR72.10-P-1000TX

If post 51 above link is not to your liking here’s another: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...,d.cGc&cad=rja
Old 07-17-2016, 02:54 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
12 CLS 550, 65 Shelby 427 SC, 03 GMC Envoy
First you need to remove the door panel, (I can post instructions for that, but most people that have the noise issue, have been in the door already.) Image 1 shows the rail which the window rides on. It is this rail that I put some synthetic silicone based grease on. If you remove the speaker, you will have access to the entire rail via the hole provided by the speaker being gone. Just apply grease to this rail and the noise will be a thing of the past. Best dang mod I've done to my car yet, and I've done quite a few. Put the door back together and enjoy the silence.

P.S. In case anybody is wondering, the glass does not make contact with this rail, so there will be grease on your glass.
Just completed this. And Locomercedes is correct... The door panel can stay on! Snap off the speaker panels, remove 3 torx screws, and unhook the speaker. The speaker is stuck to the door frame, but a thin blade screwdriver takes care of that. That way, you still have access to the window controls. Operate the window, and it is easy to see where you put the grease. Up and down several times to distribute the lube and all quiet now!

Last edited by click430; 07-17-2016 at 02:59 PM.
Old 08-22-2016, 09:57 PM

CLS550
Can I plz get the instructions on how to remove the door panels too. run4mp@yahoo.com Thank you
Old 08-03-2017, 08:34 PM

2007 CLS550
Door Speaker

how about instructions for removing the speakers...both of my front windows squeak when the temp is high...I'm too lazy to take the whole door panel off

email is jyoungbauer@gmail.com
Old 06-27-2018, 09:17 PM

CLS63 AMG
Squeaky window - 2007 CLS AMG

I suppose the "solution" varies from model to model but here is what I did to fix my driver side SQUEAKY window. First let me preface this by saying my passenger door window did the same thing a couple of years ago. Took it to the Mercedes dealer, and one new window regulator later, the problem was solved. This time however, after reading where some guys were able to solve the problem on their own, I decided to give it a whirl. Now, when I say my window squeaked, it was like nails on a chalkboard! Absolutely horrible. Did I say horrible?!! It was the worst just as it would start to go down and then lighten up about half way down. It wasn't nearly as bad on the way up however - no idea why that could be. Anyway, I took the whole door panel off. If you need instructions on how to do that, there is an excellent YouTube video showing every step. Once the panel was off, I also took out the main door speaker, which allowed for a better view of the right side rail of the regulator. I greased everything I could. At first I thought the problem was the left and right side vertical rails of the regulator. I greased both sides of where the plastic guides (blue in my case) slid up and down the edge of the rail - waste of time. I even went as far as greasing the inside of the rubber that the window slides up and down in, located closest to the far right side of inside the door - Nothing! Ugh. I didn't know what else to do. I then thought that perhaps its somehow the steel cable inside the sleeve but there really was no way of accessing that but then I thought that cable must be on some pulleys. If you reach your fingers around, you can feel the pulleys that the cable slides around. Using a can of Slick 50 spray lube, I did the best I could to saturate those pulleys (the pulley is attached to the backside of the metal rail so its guesswork trying to hit your target, soooo I aimed the can as best I could and sprayed away. I was actually able to see the far right pulley by looking through the opening in the door handle area, so that was able to get a direct shot. This was my hail mary pass, otherwise game over. AND IT WORKED! It immediately had a big improvement and after going up and down about 5 times, the squeal was completely gone. Time for a beer! Thank you, thank you very much.
Old 08-20-2018, 03:06 PM

2008 CLS 550 AMG Diamond White Edition, 2008 CLS 550, 2015 Duramax 2500 CCSB
Originally Posted by tomchase
I suppose the "solution" varies from model to model but here is what I did to fix my driver side SQUEAKY window. First let me preface this by saying my passenger door window did the same thing a couple of years ago. Took it to the Mercedes dealer, and one new window regulator later, the problem was solved. This time however, after reading where some guys were able to solve the problem on their own, I decided to give it a whirl. Now, when I say my window squeaked, it was like nails on a chalkboard! Absolutely horrible. Did I say horrible?!! It was the worst just as it would start to go down and then lighten up about half way down. It wasn't nearly as bad on the way up however - no idea why that could be. Anyway, I took the whole door panel off. If you need instructions on how to do that, there is an excellent YouTube video showing every step. Once the panel was off, I also took out the main door speaker, which allowed for a better view of the right side rail of the regulator. I greased everything I could. At first I thought the problem was the left and right side vertical rails of the regulator. I greased both sides of where the plastic guides (blue in my case) slid up and down the edge of the rail - waste of time. I even went as far as greasing the inside of the rubber that the window slides up and down in, located closest to the far right side of inside the door - Nothing! Ugh. I didn't know what else to do. I then thought that perhaps its somehow the steel cable inside the sleeve but there really was no way of accessing that but then I thought that cable must be on some pulleys. If you reach your fingers around, you can feel the pulleys that the cable slides around. Using a can of Slick 50 spray lube, I did the best I could to saturate those pulleys (the pulley is attached to the backside of the metal rail so its guesswork trying to hit your target, soooo I aimed the can as best I could and sprayed away. I was actually able to see the far right pulley by looking through the opening in the door handle area, so that was able to get a direct shot. This was my hail mary pass, otherwise game over. AND IT WORKED! It immediately had a big improvement and after going up and down about 5 times, the squeal was completely gone. Time for a beer! Thank you, thank you very much.
This is GREAT news. I have two of these cars so now I have four of these doors doing it - the front doors of each car. The dealer says $1000/per door =/- so if this works, it will be a huge win. Thank you for sharing your experience! I will follow on with my findings post my attempt.
Old 08-15-2019, 12:38 PM

CLS 500
2019 update (2005 CLS)

Thanks, and for my 2 senttiä couple of pics. you really don't have to remove whole door panel, just speaker+cover and then took rubber clove and spray and rub that to wire and wheels which you cant see behind. Then run window up/down many times and spray again until squeeze is gone