CLS Coupe (C219) Discuss the CLS Coupe.

New to MB, convince me so I won't regret it !?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 05:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 ML63 AMG Obsidian Black
New to MB, convince me so I won't regret it !?

Looking at an 07 CLS 550. This will be my first Benz. Everyone in the family has had one, love them but complain about upkeep. I understand there comes a price with the maintenance and I'm willing to keep on top of it. I'm not willing to deal with breakdowns or unreliable parts that keep me going back to the shop. I've finally had enough of dealing with constant repairs on my 03 Saab 9-3. It's been the least reliable car I've owned across 20 years, and I've driven some lemons. GM replaced the engine several times, the list goes on, it only has 90k miles (150k km) and it's about done.

We have a two kids now and I need something with four doors as my second car. Our Hyundai SanteFe is bulletproof and was leaning towards another one or Lexus for the reliability.
That all said, outside of maintenance, are these cars reliable? If I keep up the schedule, baby the car, will this thing give me 10 years? I want to finally own something that I love to drive And keeps me out of the shop. I'd love any candid responses as I am aware of the '06 problems but the dream of finally owning a MB is upon me and I'm very timid in terms of driving another unreliable disappointment.

I will attempt to purchase CPO / warranty but that's not usually when the problems come up. I guess these cars are nearly 5 years old (2007) so there must be some historical reliability analysis. Any links on this forum you'd like to share?

Thanks gratefully for any info !!
Happy Driving, I hope to join you soon.
Old 02-06-2012, 05:03 PM

2007 MERCEDES CLS 550 AMG
The only real major issues with the 2007 is the valve body($2500), and these rubber seals on the back of the engine(200$). I have a 2007 and those have been my only issues. The car is absolutely great and you will enjoy driving it. I have owned a few Mercedes in the past and they have corrected a lot of previous known issues with Mercedes. P.s make sure the car is pre-wired for bluetooth if you care about that feature, Otherwise it can be extremely expensive to add after.
Old 02-06-2012, 11:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
White S63 AMG W/Designo Interior
If you can afford it go for an 08
Old 02-07-2012, 02:10 PM

I have decided to aim for an 08. These cars are
so advanced, what is the track record and cost to repair the complicated suspension? Example only..
I'm concerned this could be a costly expense for a car I drive to the train for work. Decisions ..
Old 02-07-2012, 02:14 PM

Keep in mind work on a Mercedes(or any other german model) is going to cost a lot to get resolved. Changing pads and rotors will easily run you a $1100+. And it seems I change pads every year. It's not necessarily the parts, but the premium prices for service at the MB dealers. I have an 06 and have had no major issues and it runs like it's new(owned it since ~3-4 years). The 07+ are def better choices(the newer the better) and they are all pretty reliable. Just remember when something does break, it costs a LOT to get fixed. For e.g., a window motor repair on a mercedes would be 5x the price of the repair on your sante fe.

Originally Posted by MooF
Looking at an 07 CLS 550. This will be my first Benz. Everyone in the family has had one, love them but complain about upkeep. I understand there comes a price with the maintenance and I'm willing to keep on top of it. I'm not willing to deal with breakdowns or unreliable parts that keep me going back to the shop. I've finally had enough of dealing with constant repairs on my 03 Saab 9-3. It's been the least reliable car I've owned across 20 years, and I've driven some lemons. GM replaced the engine several times, the list goes on, it only has 90k miles (150k km) and it's about done.

We have a two kids now and I need something with four doors as my second car. Our Hyundai SanteFe is bulletproof and was leaning towards another one or Lexus for the reliability.
That all said, outside of maintenance, are these cars reliable? If I keep up the schedule, baby the car, will this thing give me 10 years? I want to finally own something that I love to drive And keeps me out of the shop. I'd love any candid responses as I am aware of the '06 problems but the dream of finally owning a MB is upon me and I'm very timid in terms of driving another unreliable disappointment.

I will attempt to purchase CPO / warranty but that's not usually when the problems come up. I guess these cars are nearly 5 years old (2007) so there must be some historical reliability analysis. Any links on this forum you'd like to share?

Thanks gratefully for any info !!
Happy Driving, I hope to join you soon.
Old 02-07-2012, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by erifly
Keep in mind work on a Mercedes(or any other german model) is going to cost a lot to get resolved. Changing pads and rotors will easily run you a $1100+. And it seems I change pads every year. It's not necessarily the parts, but the premium prices for service at the MB dealers. I have an 06 and have had no major issues and it runs like it's new(owned it since ~3-4 years). The 07+ are def better choices(the newer the better) and they are all pretty reliable. Just remember when something does break, it costs a LOT to get fixed. For e.g., a window motor repair on a mercedes would be 5x the price of the repair on your sante fe.

Thanks Erifly, I had that sense. Like many things in life, there are no guarantees. I'd love someone to tell me, these cars are absolutely bullet-proof and the people complaining about repairs are simply the ones who've had bad luck or don't take care of the vehicles. I suppose nobody is going to say that and I'm looking for some comfort and solace due to my past history with purchasing fun but costly cars.
I would likely go to an Indie mech up the street who works on MB and uses genuine parts but doesn't mark them up and charges normal labor rates.

I don't want a freakin' Lexus, Toyota or Honda, nor another Hyundai !! ;-)
Old 02-07-2012, 03:00 PM

On second thought, now that I have thought about it...these cars are absolutely bullet-proof and the people complaining about repairs are simply the ones who've had bad luck or don't take care of the vehicles.

Haha...but seriously you have no worries. Go get your benz
Thanks Erifly, I had that sense. Like many things in life, there are no guarantees. I'd love someone to tell me, these cars are absolutely bullet-proof and the people complaining about repairs are simply the ones who've had bad luck or don't take care of the vehicles. I suppose nobody is going to say that and I'm looking for some comfort and solace due to my past history with purchasing fun but costly cars.
I would likely go to an Indie mech up the street who works on MB and uses genuine parts but doesn't mark them up and charges normal labor rates.

I don't want a freakin' Lexus, Toyota or Honda, nor another Hyundai !! ;-)
Old 02-07-2012, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by erifly
On second thought, now that I have thought about it...these cars are absolutely bullet-proof and the people complaining about repairs are simply the ones who've had bad luck or don't take care of the vehicles.

Haha...but seriously you have no worries. Go get your benz
Ha! Good to know this is coming from an '06 owner. I'm going to take my time and start shopping for an 08, but I won't rush into it this time around.

Cheers! happy driving
Old 02-11-2012, 01:10 PM

2009 CLS 550
If you're going the CPO/extended warranty I think you will find you need to have the dealer do any work or the warranty may be voided. I pre-purchased my next three PMs when I bought mine.
Old 02-17-2012, 02:54 AM

MERC
IMO .. If you drive a Mercedes/BMW/Audi/Bentley etc etc .. you should be able to afford its up keep, gas and wahtever else. If you cannot you shouldn't be driving it ..
Old 02-17-2012, 01:11 PM

2009 CLS 550
Originally Posted by S500 Man
(x)Carbon Fiber Vinyl 3M Roof Wrap
Sorry to hijack, but what is this? Is it a vinyl "vehicle wrap" printed with carbon fiber pattern applied to the roof?
Old 02-17-2012, 01:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yes lol
Old 02-17-2012, 01:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

3M Dinoc
Old 02-19-2012, 04:32 PM

2009 CLS 550
Looks good - in the pics anyways it makes me think you have a pano...