CLS Coupe (C219) Discuss the CLS Coupe.

CLS 55 AMG with Brand New engine. Good Deal or Bad buy ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 11:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS 55 AMG - one of the last off the AMG line
CLS 55 AMG with Brand New engine. Good Deal or Bad buy ?

So I was on my way to collect my CLS55 AMG, when the bank calls and tells me there is a problem. Long story short, the asset check for outstanding finance, accidents, write-offs theft etc fails. When we investigate why it turns out the engine number does not match the chasis number. When they check on the MB system it appears that the car had its engine completely replaced 1500 KM before. The dealer emails me the record of their service replacement.. 40K dollars !!!! A brand new engine was fitted. The MB dealer said its the most expensive job card they've ever done.

So now I wait the weekend whilst MB updates the HPI agency with the new engine number so the check can be carried out. This gives me an opportunity to ask you experts for thoughts...

This AMG has an engine that is brand new. On the surface of it, its a great stroke of luck. I have test driven it - and on my first test drive (before this was detected) the transmission in M mode got stuck in second gear and wouldnt change (until I powered off the car). The dealer checked and it didnt happen to him, nor did it happen on my second test drive. The power on the engine is incredible, the handling is superb, and despite the over oranginess of the wood of the interior I love the car (but will mod the AV system). I dont yet know why they replaced the engine. But I have seen the original MB invoices of the dealer who did the work - and it makes for a four page invoice

The dealer will also hold the price he locked with me before we discovered the engine issue. Other cars in Autotrader here are about 13-16 thousand USD more expensive for similar mileage (the car was already cheap)

The car has 78K km on the clock (48K miles).

Any advice ? Buy or walk ?
Old 02-19-2012, 11:16 AM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
2016 E550 Cab & 2011 GL 550 & 09 VROD Muscle & 06 Seadoo Speedster LE .......
problem on these cars without warranty.....will not be fun ......n once a issue u will need more tissues......
Old 02-19-2012, 02:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 424 Likes on 350 Posts
MB’s
Personally I would walk away. It just seems like it could be one of those "One thing after another cars"