Possible switch to CLS, questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-18-2017, 02:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CLS 500
Possible switch to CLS, questions

Good day all.

I'm following this board for about a year now and am enjoying the information and passion for these cars since. Decided it was time to register.

About myself, I currently own a 07 W211 E280 CDI with the sport package for about 16 months now. Lovely ride but the petrolhead in me doesn't want to adjust itself to the diesel engine, so I am on the hunt for a replacement. While being at it I also found a growing interest in the CLS.

Recently drove a CLS 350 and 350 CGI and the CGI felt like the car I should've gotten a year ago when I bought the W211 (which I am really enjoying apart from the engine ). Maybe the 'normal' 350 was a bad example but that one felt more sluggish and the CGI was so much more responsive. Great engine.

Now the questions:

My W211 has the auto dim mirrors, the CLS (also from 2007) does not. I've fitted a mirror with Homelink to the W211 which I would like to transfer, but I read about a difference in microphones between the two versions. Can this be re-programmed via STAR?

In addition to that, is it possible to retrofit the auto folding mirrors with dim function?

The CLS doesn't have the HK audio system of my W211, but I take this as a chance to fit some better speakers and an amp to the CLS. Preferably I would like to keep the NTG1 + CD changer. Found topics from W211 users who tried the same but with the HK as a base, didn't find info on a similar build based on the stock system. Any opinions / experience on that? A buddy of mine who is (way to far ) into car audio is helping me so finding the right items shouldn't be the issue, mainly wondering if the NTG1 is allowing for the use of an external amp.

Ride height of the rear: the CLS does not have airmatic and is equipped with the stock (not so nice imo) 17" wheels that I am going to replace with 19" Styling III AMG's. It caught my eye that the car is sticking its behind pretty far up into the sky, is this normal? Attached a pic of it.

Other mods planned: AMG bumpers + skirts and trunk spoiler, aux heater and probably some other bits.

Any help on the above questions is much appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails Possible switch to CLS, questions-2017-03-25-14.21.59.jpg