Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-05-2017, 11:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
2007 Mercedes E550
DIY Seafoam Treatment for m113 w219 cls500

Hi All;
After a half dozen hours pondering how to get Seafoam into my engine to clean her out, I finally completed the treatment. Here are my instructions.

1. Purchase Seafoam product that comes with the straw.

2. Open you hood and look at your beautiful m113 V8 engine.

3. Carefully remove the 2 engine covers and 2 air inlet hoses. It's not too difficult, but it may take a few minutes. These just pop off.

4. Look for your Mass Air Flow sensor, it should look like this,

5. Now look at your Mass Air Flow Sensor, and you will notice a screen. Take the red straw from the can of Seafoam and insert into the mesh screen. Do not tear the screen, although I expanded one of the holes a bit to get the straw through.

6. Insert the straw all the way into the MAF at least 8". This ensures that the seafoam product goes into the Throttle Body and does not come in contact with the MAF.

7. Now a little red straw bout 6" will be popping out of your MAF. Hook up the seafoam can to the straw.

8. Have a buddy start your car and gently press the throttle 1000 RPMs over idle. For example, if your idle is 800 RPM then your buddy should depress throttle to 1800 RPM.

9. With a constant 1800 RPMs, the throttle body is slightly open. Now press the button on the seafoam can to release the product while your buddy is pressing the throttle.

10. Although the instructions say that it only takes 5 minutes to empty the bottle, it actually may take up to 15 minutes. At about 10 minute I gave up and had emptied about 75%.

11. Turn off the car and put complete engine cover back on and remove the straw from MAF.

12. Let car sit for about 15 minutes and start her up. If your engine is older LOTS of white smoke may come out of tailpipe. If your car is newer and clean, the smoke may not come out until you test drive.

13. Go for a spirited test run. There should be a moderate to large puff of smoke that comes out of tail pipe. This is normal and verifies you did the treatment correct.

14. You should notice an increased throttle response and the car is more fun to drive!

Other notes.

1. Spark plugs should generally be changes after Seafoam, as the product fouls the plugs. Most people don't change the plugs though.

2. The other method for seafoam is pouring the product directly into the brake booster line, which I have done many times. Although very effective, this method is much more intense and may cause a check engine light (misfire). That's not a big deal because the misfire will go away, but you may need to clear the code with an OBDII reader. The method with the straw is probably the most gently and safe method.

3. The goal is to get the seafoam into the throttle body, which is just under the MAF. If you are diligent you can also take off the MAF and clean the throttle body and MAF sensor. It is not hard but is a little time consuming.

4. You save at least a couple hundred dollars doing this yourself over dealer prices.

5. Don't worry if there is ALOT of smoke that comes out of tail pipe. That is good and indicates carbon is coming loose. If no smoke comes out at all, you may have done something incorrectly.
Old 05-08-2017, 09:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 Mercedes E550
Do I not at least get a thank you from someone out there for my write up?
Old 05-09-2017, 12:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
None for now
I wish I found this before I did my Seafoam. I barely got any smoke and have 120K miles on my M113. Nice tutorial.
Old 05-09-2017, 01:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 48 Likes on 41 Posts
couple of Benzos
FIY ppl should only use half a can and not the whole thing
Old 05-09-2017, 01:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 Mercedes E550
Originally Posted by kb24forlife24
I wish I found this before I did my Seafoam. I barely got any smoke and have 120K miles on my M113. Nice tutorial.
How did you get the seafoam in your engine? Was it sprayed into the throttle body as I did? Did you let it sit for 15 minutes?
Old 05-09-2017, 01:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
None for now
Yeah I did that but didn't get that much smoke. I don't drive my car like a grandma though, I use that M113 torque!
Old 05-09-2017, 01:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 Mercedes E550
Originally Posted by AndreNY
FIY ppl should only use half a can and not the whole thing
The instructions on the SPRAY can with red straw of seafoam say to use the entire can, as long as the product is put into the throttle body. However, if you tap directly into a vacuum line and pour it in, seafoam suggests using 1/3 of a can. I have used as much as an entire can, but that always causes a misfire which sucks.

The spray can method with the straw is by far the most gentle.
Old 05-10-2017, 09:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 48 Likes on 41 Posts
couple of Benzos
Originally Posted by LexBrett2
The instructions on the SPRAY can with red straw of seafoam say to use the entire can, as long as the product is put into the throttle body. However, if you tap directly into a vacuum line and pour it in, seafoam suggests using 1/3 of a can. I have used as much as an entire can, but that always causes a misfire which sucks.

The spray can method with the straw is by far the most gentle.
I have found that using it via vacuum line is the most effective method, and half a bottle for a V8 is more then enough also cars with no MAF's like the 55 AMG's its the only way to do it, I usually use half in the engine and the other half in the Gas Tank

Great Write up BTW
Old 05-10-2017, 01:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 Mercedes E550
I like the vacuum line method as well but honestly didn't know what line to tap! After much research going into the throttle body seemed most practical. The brake booster line is buried under a bunch of trim, and getting to it required taking off the windshield wiper assembly. What vacuum line did you use??
Old 05-10-2017, 01:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 Mercedes E550
Originally Posted by kb24forlife24
Yeah I did that but didn't get that much smoke. I don't drive my car like a grandma though, I use that M113 torque!
Honestly I didn't that much smoke either. I believe that going into throttle body doesn't break up as much carbon as the vacuum line method.