Airmatic pump relay?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-26-2017, 04:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS 500
Airmatic pump relay?

Hi guys,

So yesterday when I parked my car at home (2005 CLS 500) I heard loud noise from pump, which I believe is the airmatic pump? It was coming from the front drivers side. Also, when the pump was running with engine off, it sometimes would stop run and then I could hear a loud banging cycling sound, like it was not getting enough power to run or something.

Anyway, the noise stopped after a few mins and I later started the car to check airmatic and it raised normally and pump did not run after I turned off engine this time. So maybe the pump got stuck in the "on" position of relay earlier?

Anyone having experience with this type of problem and should I try to replace relay? Maybe I have to replace the compressor soon aswell? I bought this car 1 year ago and its been a pleasure to drive but if I get more trouble I am thinking of getting a newer car

Car has 124k miles on it.
Old 05-26-2017, 08:18 AM

CLS 500
Update

So today I went to the car and started the car, I still get no error message and I pushed the "raise car" button and it said it was raising but I did not find it to raise itself.

Which relay in the front driver side is for the airmatic? I have tried to google but did not find out which one it is. I checked the fuses inside of the car close to the steering wheel and they are OK.

Also, when I lock the car after I raised it and lowered it, I no more can hear the sound it usually makes, like it is letting out air.

Is my airmatic compressor dead now or should I first try to replace relay?

Please help
Old 05-27-2017, 04:52 AM

CLS 500
Update NO.2

So yesterday evening I decided to move the car to a better space so I can replace the pump later on. Thats when I got the "visit workshop" message.

I also tried to replace the relay for the airmatic pump which is supposed to be the one all the way back behind the SAM panel under the hood, but there was not much space for my hand to be able to take the relay out so I couldn't get it out!!!!

How am I suppose to get that relay out of there? Please give me some guidance if anyone has done it before.

I have ordered a new compressor now and will not replace the relay until the new pump arrives and is installed.
Old 05-27-2017, 11:32 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,417 Likes on 3,146 Posts
'71 Pinto
See attachments.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Compressor.pdf (346.3 KB, 448 views)
Old 05-27-2017, 12:54 PM

CLS 500
Thanks! But one question though:

In the attached file it says that K67 airmatic relay is to the left in the relay box. But in the picture attached it is located in the rear right corner sitting by itself. So now Im kinda confused on which relay is for airmatic?

Last edited by filip_a; 05-27-2017 at 01:07 PM.
Old 05-27-2017, 02:59 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,417 Likes on 3,146 Posts
'71 Pinto
WIS sheet seems to be wrong, to identify EPC shows relay part # 0025421319 for your VIN see attachment.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Front SAM relay.pdf (24.1 KB, 629 views)

Last edited by konigstiger; 05-27-2017 at 03:06 PM.
Old 05-27-2017, 03:01 PM

CLS 500
Thanks, So it is the one all the way in the back. I have tried to remove it but it seems impossible to reach it. Any advice on how to get it out?
Old 06-03-2017, 12:54 PM

CLS 500
Cls 500- while driving heard a big pop noise and the front right side is low all the way.
Any idea what it is? Was it the strut or the pump that just pop?
Old 06-04-2017, 01:43 PM

CLS 500
***UPDATE***

Today I replaced the airmatic pump, air filter & relay + fuse. Bought a cheap pump from ebay for $200 (new though).

It was easy going but I am still confused about one hose: the upper hose that goes to the air filter, where should it go? When I removed the air filter the upper hose came loose and I did not catch where it was connected. I found an inlet up high and connected it there, I think it goes to the air intake filter? Or should the upper hose that goes to the filter just not be connected?? Please give some advice.

The pump starts and is working, but I still find it noisy? I was wondering if this was because of the hose to the air filter. It was really difficult to get the clamp on and I am afraid that the hose might come loose?
Old 06-04-2017, 01:44 PM

CLS 500
Originally Posted by Dr-cls
Cls 500- while driving heard a big pop noise and the front right side is low all the way.
Any idea what it is? Was it the strut or the pump that just pop?

Dr-cls: It sounds like your strut since only front right side is low all the way.
Old 06-04-2017, 06:39 PM

CLS 500
The entire car is low, culd it be the relay , a fuse or the pump?
Old 06-06-2017, 06:12 AM

CLS 500
Originally Posted by Dr-cls
The entire car is low, culd it be the relay , a fuse or the pump?
If you have driven it while the pump was not working then your airbags will eventually be low. So check the fuse and see if it is burned or not. If its OK, your relay should be fine, but you still may want to replace the relay to the newer HELLA type, if your relay is not of that type.
Old 06-06-2017, 06:16 AM

CLS 500
So regarding the upper hose of the air filter it should just go to atmosphere, there is a like a holder for the hose on the crossmember.

Anyways, my pump is still quite noisy and I think it could be because my rubber fittings are worn and the spring for the pump mount as well.

I still feel like the pump is working a lot, or maybe it is because I here the pump working now since the previous one was quiet? For instance yesterday when I drove a 5 mile trip, the pump started when I started the engine and then maybe twice during the trip for approx 10 seconds each time. The car does not drop at all so I would say it is not leaking. It will keep its height for 2 weeks sitting with mabye 1/2 inch drop at most.

Also, I noticed when I put the suspension in "Sport 1" the pump dont seem to work as much. Which airmatic setting should I use to expose the pump to as little work as possible? Sport 1 or Comfort mode??