CLS Coupe (C219) Discuss the CLS Coupe.

2006 CLS Airmatic coil to spring conversion question.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-26-2017, 10:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cls & c300
2006 CLS Airmatic coil to spring conversion question.

Hey everyone, newbie here 😊

I just purchased a 2006 CLS 500 and I’m thinking about changing over from the airmatic to coil springs for the rear and front. Now I found a set of springs on eBay and I was wondering if they would fit with no issues.

http://m.ebay.ca/itm/311832107285?_mwBanner=1
Old 07-27-2017, 07:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
2007 Mercedes E550
Originally Posted by Mbandbeyond
Hey everyone, newbie here 😊

I just purchased a 2006 CLS 500 and I’m thinking about changing over from the airmatic to coil springs for the rear and front. Now I found a set of springs on eBay and I was wondering if they would fit with no issues.

http://m.ebay.ca/itm/311832107285?_mwBanner=1
If it were me I would purchase from a more reputable source. You may find out that these do not fit your car, and then have to pay the mechanic for his time taking apart (or your time is wasted if DIY).

I thought conversion kits were the entire strut, not just the spring?
Old 07-29-2017, 07:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cls & c300
Originally Posted by LexBrett2
If it were me I would purchase from a more reputable source. You may find out that these do not fit your car, and then have to pay the mechanic for his time taking apart (or your time is wasted if DIY).

I thought conversion kits were the entire strut, not just the spring?
Right now the rear of the vehicle is not rising when I start the engine. I’ve tried everything and it still refuses to budge.
So I called and confirmed if they would fit before I purchased them.
I actually did this conversion on my old GMC Envoy and it worked perfectly. So I’m pretty sure I can just change the springs and keep the old shocks in for now.

Will the air pump still work for the front or should I change the front suspension at the same time?

Last edited by Mbandbeyond; 07-29-2017 at 07:57 PM.
Old 07-31-2017, 09:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
2007 Mercedes E550
Right now the rear of the vehicle is not rising when I start the engine. I’ve tried everything and it still refuses to budge.
I actually did this conversion on my old GMC Envoy and it worked perfectly. So I’m pretty sure I can just change the springs and keep the old shocks in for now.

Will the air pump still work for the front or should I change the front suspension at the same time?
I just had one of my air struts blow, so I feel your pain. If your car is not rising, it could be several issues. Sounds to me either the pump is bad or it is a relay. I hear a lot of people switching over to aftermarket suspension on these cars. However, I chose to keep everything stock and invest my time to learn how to change out these various components.
Old 07-31-2017, 08:01 PM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
2019 E450

The air pump should still run the front, but at the very least I would take the rears out of play somehow so that the pump doesnt constantly try to raise them.