2007 CLS 500 - wheel related clicking noise

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-07-2020 | 12:54 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
R350 and CLS500
2007 CLS 500 - wheel related clicking noise

Hello,

I have a 2007 CLS 500 with MEC Design aftermarket upgrades including 285 Mextreme III in the front and 305s in the rear; also 4 exhaust pipes and diffuser. Recently, I have been hearing a recurring clicking noise, much like castanets, coming from the wheel areas and synched with my speed. Oddly, when I was the car, which I do very regularly, it seems to reduce the amount of clicking and it seems to be at its worse after the car has been unused for a few days and the weather has been hot. I am planning to take it to a mechanic after the mid-august vacation rush (I live in France) but the body work guy heard the noise and felt it had nothing to do with body work. Before I meet with the mechanic I wanted to check that this was not something obvious to a more knowledgeable member.

Many thanks.
Old 08-08-2020 | 09:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 254 Likes on 209 Posts
2006 CLS55 AMG, 2005 SLK 350 AMG
Originally Posted by AFS2019
Hello,

I have a 2007 CLS 500 with MEC Design aftermarket upgrades including 285 Mextreme III in the front and 305s in the rear; also 4 exhaust pipes and diffuser. Recently, I have been hearing a recurring clicking noise, much like castanets, coming from the wheel areas and synched with my speed. Oddly, when I was the car, which I do very regularly, it seems to reduce the amount of clicking and it seems to be at its worse after the car has been unused for a few days and the weather has been hot. I am planning to take it to a mechanic after the mid-august vacation rush (I live in France) but the body work guy heard the noise and felt it had nothing to do with body work. Before I meet with the mechanic I wanted to check that this was not something obvious to a more knowledgeable member.

Many thanks.
These sounds can be difficult to chase down and can come from a number of things like a wheel bearing to a small piece of gravel wedged against a caliper. I use a tool called Chassis Ears (other names are probably used too) that is nothing more than multiple small microphones put where you think the sound is coming from. The mics feed back to a single box that allows you to switch between each mic to determine which one is loudest. You may need to reposition the mics to really locate where the sound is from. Inquire if your mechanic has such a tool.
Old 08-09-2020 | 11:52 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
R350 and CLS500
Thanks much for the reply. Indeed, the noise seems to move around so this is a very good idea. I will let you know once I have the feedback.