Weird geometry of front wheels

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-20-2022, 10:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes CLS (C219)
Weird geometry of front wheels

Hello there,

due to my lack of knowledge in car terminology, I shall stick with explaining things in a simple manner.

I suspect that there is something not quite right with the wheels on my front suspension. I took some pictures of my car and when you look at front of the car on these photographs, you can see that left wheel (if viewed from behind) is more recessed under the fender than right wheel. I also looked for spacers, none found, but I learned that the inside of one of the rims is a bit different than the others (except the lines that are on both of rear rims). It has some extra kinks and bends to make it more rigid I guess? I documented this too, please take a look. I have no idea whether the wheels are supposed to be put on in some kind of way and order, but I plan on switching the wheels on the front to see whether it somehow balances the "recession".

By looking at the pictures, it seems like one strut is faulty (maybe a cracked spring), but honestly the ride is very comfortable with no sounds or bangs coming from the suspension and the camber seems to be pretty consistent on both sides. On top of all that, it doesn't look like the car tilts to one side in front.

Thanks in advance for any tips.

Best regards,
Dominik Rohlick

notice this left front wheel being kinda more under the fender compared with the right front wheel

notice this front wheel being more "out" when compared with the left front wheel

the "inside" of the front left rim. notice the bend that copies the spoke

the "inside" of the front right rim. notice that there is no bend and it looks cleaner than the second front rim

here is just a photo of the "inside" of the rim. (this is rear right)

here is just a photo of the "inside" of the rim. (this is rear left)
​​​​​​​
Old 01-13-2023, 10:04 AM

06 cls 500
Originally Posted by dominikrohlick
Hello there,

due to my lack of knowledge in car terminology, I shall stick with explaining things in a simple manner.

I suspect that there is something not quite right with the wheels on my front suspension. I took some pictures of my car and when you look at front of the car on these photographs, you can see that left wheel (if viewed from behind) is more recessed under the fender than right wheel. I also looked for spacers, none found, but I learned that the inside of one of the rims is a bit different than the others (except the lines that are on both of rear rims). It has some extra kinks and bends to make it more rigid I guess? I documented this too, please take a look. I have no idea whether the wheels are supposed to be put on in some kind of way and order, but I plan on switching the wheels on the front to see whether it somehow balances the "recession".

By looking at the pictures, it seems like one strut is faulty (maybe a cracked spring), but honestly the ride is very comfortable with no sounds or bangs coming from the suspension and the camber seems to be pretty consistent on both sides. On top of all that, it doesn't look like the car tilts to one side in front.

Thanks in advance for any tips.

Best regards,
Dominik Rohlick

notice this left front wheel being kinda more under the fender compared with the right front wheel

notice this front wheel being more "out" when compared with the left front wheel

the "inside" of the front left rim. notice the bend that copies the spoke

the "inside" of the front right rim. notice that there is no bend and it looks cleaner than the second front rim

here is just a photo of the "inside" of the rim. (this is rear right)

here is just a photo of the "inside" of the rim. (this is rear left)
Looks like you're front and rear rim may be switched. If yours is like mine my back tires are wider then the front
Old 01-13-2023, 10:06 AM

Mercedes CLS (C219)
Thanks for the reply, the rims were indeed switched. :-) Not wider tires though, just different ET number. Looks normal after putting them back to where they belong.

Wish it would've struck me before, but I never thought that tire shop would put rims with "REAR SIDE ONLY" written on the inner side to front of the car.

Last edited by dominikrohlick; 01-13-2023 at 10:09 AM.