CLS Coupe (C219) Discuss the CLS Coupe.

Trunk Closer Issues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-02-2022, 02:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 CLS550
Trunk Closer Issues

I recently bought a 2011 CLS550 with the AMG package. Truly a beautiful car and it only had a few minor issues. One of the things that has puzzled me however, is the trunk situation.

I can open the trunk with the key fob, but I cannot close it with that (I don't know if that was ever possible honestly) I can fully open and close it with the switch in the drivers' door, however the close and lock buttons on the trunk lid itself, do nothing. The buttons both light up, as well as the red safety light next to them, but they do not function at all. The outside latch also does nothing, it doesn't even click. I have noticed that after heavy rain or after taking it through the wash, sometimes there is water dripping from the latch once the trunk is opened. One time recently, just as I was pulling out of the wash, right when the trunk passed by the air dryers, it popped itself open. I have no clue why that was, it didn't electronically raise, just popped the lid a few inches. I suppose the whole module could be bad, due to water intrusion, but I wouldn't understand how the latch mechanism, and all of the lighting attached to the module works, when the buttons themselves don't.

Is there any sort of "valet mode" that would disable the trunk buttons?

On a side note: does anybody have an idea where water could be getting inside of the actual trunk lid, because the interior of the trunk itself is always perfectly dry, but the water seems to leak down the inside of the lid, and drip out through the latch.
Old 08-02-2022, 10:54 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,447 Likes on 3,154 Posts
'71 Pinto
See attachments. In addition to accessing mechanism also check wiring harness concerning buttons, remove cover to left trunk hinge.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
219 trunk lid paneling.pdf (190.8 KB, 40 views)
219 power closing.pdf (147.0 KB, 72 views)
219 center trim.pdf (84.0 KB, 43 views)
OM.pdf (683.9 KB, 39 views)
Old 08-07-2022, 03:06 PM

cls550, s320, 300se,323ic
Does the outside handle move, mine has a tendency to get stuck. I can use my fingernail and pry the handle back to it's normal position.
Old 08-10-2022, 08:07 PM

2011 CLS550
Originally Posted by davescls
Does the outside handle move, mine has a tendency to get stuck. I can use my fingernail and pry the handle back to it's normal position.
No it does not, I didn't know that this was an issue! Assumed it was some kind of capacitive button, thanks! I'll check it out.