CLS Coupe (C219) Discuss the CLS Coupe.

Idle Vibration

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-02-2023, 11:48 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 CLS550
Idle Vibration

Hey guys. Just picked up my CLS. I knew it wasn't perfect but it's a beauty that I couldn't resist. Overall, its in great shape. All the electronics and airmatic seems to be working properly.

HOWEVER;

there is a vibration (not so much a shaking, but a steady humming vibration) at idle, particularly when in drive. sometimes in park it doesn't do it at all, sometimes it does. making this hard to diagnose.

As I said, it is nothing crazy, and you can't hear much from outside the vehicle. But inside while seated, it can feel pretty strong.

Whether it happens in park or not, it seems to change it's tone/frequency when shifting into Drive. Therefore I can assume it's related to the transmission or drivetrain linkage.

Just checking if this is common, and what the first things to check would be.

It seems to go away when driving at any speed, and is only noticeable at idle at stop lights or in park/etc.

thanks!!!
Old 02-07-2023, 01:33 PM

2011 CLS550
Giving this some more thought - I'm thinking it could be as simple as motor/transmission mounts. I will replace these come spring/summer and update this thread. Anyone have any suggestions on which to buy?
Old 03-14-2023, 10:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 CLS 500
Check your EGR valve it could be dirty or broken
Old 07-27-2023, 11:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 431 Likes on 379 Posts
2005 CLS55 AMG W219 C219
Originally Posted by Dokuji
Giving this some more thought - I'm thinking it could be as simple as motor/transmission mounts. I will replace these come spring/summer and update this thread. Anyone have any suggestions on which to buy?
OE or Lemforder
Old 03-24-2024, 10:20 PM

2007 Mercedes c230
Hey guys. Just picked up my CLS. I knew it wasn't perfect but it's a beauty that I couldn't resist. Overall, its in great shape. All the electronics and airmatic seems to be working properly.

HOWEVER;

there is a vibration (not so much a shaking, but a steady humming vibration) at idle, particularly when in drive. sometimes in park it doesn't do it at all, sometimes it does. making this hard to diagnose.

As I said, it is nothing crazy, and you can't hear much from outside the vehicle. But inside while seated, it can feel pretty strong.

Whether it happens in park or not, it seems to change it's tone/frequency when shifting into Drive. Therefore I can assume it's related to the transmission or drivetrain linkage.

Just checking if this is common, and what the first things to check would be.

It seems to go away when driving at any speed, and is only noticeable at idle at stop lights or in park/etc.

thanks!!!

hello, I currently picked up a Cls, what ended up being the problem?
Old 04-02-2024, 10:24 AM

2011 CLS550
I have yet to track it down. Sorry, this forum is very slow moving. I am going to give the transmission a flush this spring and see if it helps. I hear that a bad torque converter or simply under-lubricated transmission/TC can be the cause of some vibrations, so that is my next to-do item.
Old 04-03-2024, 07:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 431 Likes on 379 Posts
2005 CLS55 AMG W219 C219
Might be also wise to check the hardy discs etc
Old 04-14-2024, 09:12 AM

CLS 400 4Matic
Any solution yet ?

I have yet to track it down. Sorry, this forum is very slow moving. I am going to give the transmission a flush this spring and see if it helps. I hear that a bad torque converter or simply under-lubricated transmission/TC can be the cause of some vibrations, so that is my next to-do item.
I currently suffer from the same problem, I’ve replaced the engine and gear mounts, checked to make sure the exhaust manifold is properly attached, also checked the driveshaft and discovered two loosened bolts, after properly securing the bolts the vibration died down just a little, but the problem still lingers, however, I do have a feeling that something else is responsible and I’m lost for what it could be

Any help would be greatly appreciated.