CLS Coupe (C219) Discuss the CLS Coupe.

Replaced control arms and airbags

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-27-2024, 03:25 PM

Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts
2007 cls550
Replaced control arms and airbags

Replaced front airstrut, front control arms, front thrust arms, camber caster bolts, both rear airbags.

Not rocket science but not the easiest job that I’ve done in awhile.
Old 07-27-2024, 03:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!
Veteran: Army

Received 1,015 Likes on 788 Posts
'99 and '05 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by 95viper
Replaced front airstrut, front control arms, front thrust arms, camber caster bolts, both rear airbags.

Not rocket science but not the easiest job that I’ve done in awhile.
Now is the time to check the calibration of the front suspension. Steel control arms should be between +3.1 to +4.1 degrees measured on the "nubs" of the steel control arms. Ensure you are on an absolutely level surface. I've posted on the calibration I've performed on my W211. Not very difficult and can be performed with about an hour or so of your time using Xentry or aftermarket equivalent.
Old 07-27-2024, 03:47 PM

2007 cls550
Originally Posted by bbirdwell
Now is the time to check the calibration of the front suspension. Steel control arms should be between +3.1 to +4.1 degrees measured on the "nubs" of the steel control arms. Ensure you are on an absolutely level surface. I've posted on the calibration I've performed on my W211. Not very difficult and can be performed with about an hour or so of your time using Xentry or aftermarket equivalent.
Tell me more. I am lost on what you are referring to. I used the fixed camber bolts to pull the arms inward and reduce camber. I’ll take it to an alignment shop next week but the toe in/out is the only adjustment that they can do.
Old 07-28-2024, 11:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!
Veteran: Army

Received 1,015 Likes on 788 Posts
'99 and '05 E55 AMG
Camber bolts help a little bit on a lowered car. MB engineers designed the suspension for a particular range of inclination angles on the front steel control arms and rear axles and the camber follows from the inclination angle.
-Positive inclination angle indicates the inboard end is higher than the outboard end. Negative inclination angle indicates the inboard end is lower than the outboard end.
-e.g. front inclination angle is specified from +3.1 degrees inclination which corresponds to -1.7 degrees camber to +4.1 degrees inclination angle which corresponds to -1.1 degrees camber (assuming camber bolts are in the "neutral" position). Front camber spec is -1.4 degrees +/- 0.3 degrees.
-Rear axles inclination angle is -0.9 degrees inclination which corresponds to -1.2 degrees camber to -1.5 degrees inclination which corresponds to -2.2 degrees camber . Rear camber spec is -1.7 degrees +/- 0.5 degrees.
-Raising and lowering the car to the proper inclination angles will result in camber angles being in the correct range. This is assuming all bushings and ball joints are in good condition.

You'll need an inclinometer app on your smart phone but those are free if you don't mind an occasional ad.

https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...libration.html

Attachment has a few details that I posted on a previous suspension calibration back in 2016. Be advised the front inclination versus camber angles do not match what I typed above; this is because I was running a set of KMac adjustable bushings in the front and had them set to reduce camber even further.

Last edited by bbirdwell; 07-28-2024 at 12:09 PM.
The following users liked this post:
nd-photo.nl (07-29-2024)
Old 07-28-2024, 12:32 PM

2007 cls550
Thanks. Interesting research.