CLS Coupe (C219) Discuss the CLS Coupe.

A Piece Of Crap

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-31-2005 | 08:55 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 262 Likes on 187 Posts
The CLS (imho) is a very sharp looking car, the s class is dated and long in the tooth plus due for a face lift, the s class is a big car and does not make for the best comparison, nor does the CL or SL for $30k+ more. From what I understand MB has tried to make the CLS a quality piece and designed for those who want a mid sized coupe but need four doors. I think the CLS55 might show some Ferraris its tail lights. Enjoy!

Last edited by RJC; 01-31-2005 at 09:12 PM.
Old 01-31-2005 | 09:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Adam is exactly right - no one in here would take a current body style S instead of a CLS becuase most of the people who want the CLS are a different (an often young) consumer tired of the same old thing - and in case you haven't figured it out, price is not an object to most of the people in this forum (that's a pretty arrogant assumption BTW Wildcat.) Like Adam, i had a choice between any of the MB's and I've waited for the CLS since early last year when it was first a concept.

If I wasn't so tall and didn't feel the need for more than a 2-seater I'd already have had the SL when it was first released - and as I mentioned in my last post, assuming MB hooks up the next CL with a design I like, that will be my next car - just tired of the played out old one that's been out for years.

And on a closing note, this isn't a brag forum about how much money you spend on your cars, how often you go out to restuarants, etc. I find that people who feel the need to tell the world about these things are really not the well-to-do ones, but the ones with some serious inferiority complexes - come to think of it, those are the same people who typically tear down others to make themselves feel superior. Now who do we all know that fits that description? Just some food for thought. <wink>
Old 01-31-2005 | 09:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'05 MB CLK 320A; '06 BMW X5 4.8is
it's all preference, that's the whole point of having thousands of models to choose from
Old 01-31-2005 | 09:13 PM

SL-500 (mine), Ferrari Spider convertible (was Husbands, mine now!)
Originally Posted by WIldcat465
Luxury and style are what matters most until you try to get on the freeway into traffic moving 80 mph.
Sorry, we don't have the killer traffic you do on the mainland.
Old 01-31-2005 | 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by john87699
I find that people who feel the need to tell the world about these things are really not the well-to-do ones, but the ones with some serious inferiority complexes - come to think of it, those are the same people who typically tear down others to make themselves feel superior.
Bravo!
Old 02-01-2005 | 03:28 AM

2002 S500 & 2004 CLK320
they are all great cars. MB is a great name and has a great product. All the MB classes are designed for different uses and people. Im 28 and I drive an S500 and I love it. One things for sure, The S class is mercedes FLAGSHIP car. The ultimate in a Benzo.

BTW, john86999 or whatever your handle is..you say the CLK is a NO NO, , boy you sound like an arragant Mother F'er. Keep your mile long posts to yourself.

Last edited by hyepower; 02-01-2005 at 03:30 AM.
Old 02-01-2005 | 05:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts
M6 Gran Coupe
The CLS does not impress me that much. Nice looking car (of course, it is based on the CL), but it is not the CL.

Also, no John, I dont think everyone would take a CLS over a CL. Matter of fact, I wouldnt take either of them. The S class is common, but so will the CLS in another year. That is why I dont want the new GS either. Nice car, but will be dime a dozen soon. 7 series, same thing, dime a dozen. I think the CLS is meant to compete against the 7 as the 7 had somewhat cool styling to some, while many will agree the S class is not as good stylingwise as the 7 series (when I say this, I mean to younger people).

The CL is probably the rarest car I see. I see 2 or 3 SL's for every CL and I see 2 or 3 SC430s for every CL. In that span, I probably see 25 7 series and another 25 S classes. I find it interesting that the CL is "outdated" when the CLS looks the exact same and is based on the CL (see the commercials?!), in other words, the CL is well ahead of its time and when it changes body styles in another couple years, the CLS will REALLY look outdated.

I really question people who say they could have bought a CL or SL, but settled for an E500 (yeah, they are in the same league, think Lakers v. Clippers up until last year ) because SL's are dime a dozen? If that is the case, they must be giving E classes away. Sticking up for you Wildcat! LOL.

Last edited by mjr24; 02-01-2005 at 06:11 AM.
Old 02-01-2005 | 11:46 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2007 CL600
Originally Posted by mjr24
The CLS does not impress me that much. Nice looking car (of course, it is based on the CL), but it is not the CL.

Also, no John, I dont think everyone would take a CLS over a CL. Matter of fact, I wouldnt take either of them. The S class is common, but so will the CLS in another year. That is why I dont want the new GS either. Nice car, but will be dime a dozen soon. 7 series, same thing, dime a dozen. I think the CLS is meant to compete against the 7 as the 7 had somewhat cool styling to some, while many will agree the S class is not as good stylingwise as the 7 series (when I say this, I mean to younger people).

The CL is probably the rarest car I see. I see 2 or 3 SL's for every CL and I see 2 or 3 SC430s for every CL. In that span, I probably see 25 7 series and another 25 S classes. I find it interesting that the CL is "outdated" when the CLS looks the exact same and is based on the CL (see the commercials?!), in other words, the CL is well ahead of its time and when it changes body styles in another couple years, the CLS will REALLY look outdated.

I really question people who say they could have bought a CL or SL, but settled for an E500 (yeah, they are in the same league, think Lakers v. Clippers up until last year ) because SL's are dime a dozen? If that is the case, they must be giving E classes away. Sticking up for you Wildcat! LOL.
Thanks mjr24. I'm glad that someone sees the light. The CLS is a nice family sedan. The CL is rare. I've only seen three others since I've had my car. I don't even see SLs too much and rarely and SL600, but that's not the issue. No one can argue that the CL and SL are some of the finest cars on the planet for what they do. My issue with the CLS is that it's not a good value (to me).

I don't agree that the CLS is meant to compete with the 7. The seven is miles above it in terms technology, feel and performance. There is no comparison. I love the 7's looks, it's just too complex, but I still may by a CPO 7 as a daily beater. Great car and BMWs are very safe. But I'm getting off track.

No has yet to say that the CLS is fun to drive. It's not. It's mundane. and you don't have to pay 70k to drive a mundane car. How many of you have driven it?

Yes, the CL is more money, but it's twice the car.
Old 02-01-2005 | 11:50 AM

2007 CL600
Originally Posted by Natalie
Sorry, we don't have the killer traffic you do on the mainland.
What's your point? No everyone lives on an island. It's not all about you. The fact of the matter is that some of the most fun moments in our cars (at least in mine) are on freeway onramps.
Old 02-01-2005 | 12:09 PM

2007 CL600
Originally Posted by john87699
Adam is exactly right - no one in here would take a current body style S instead of a CLS becuase most of the people who want the CLS are a different (an often young) consumer tired of the same old thing - and in case you haven't figured it out, price is not an object to most of the people in this forum (that's a pretty arrogant assumption BTW Wildcat.) Like Adam, i had a choice between any of the MB's and I've waited for the CLS since early last year when it was first a concept.

If I wasn't so tall and didn't feel the need for more than a 2-seater I'd already have had the SL when it was first released - and as I mentioned in my last post, assuming MB hooks up the next CL with a design I like, that will be my next car - just tired of the played out old one that's been out for years.

And on a closing note, this isn't a brag forum about how much money you spend on your cars, how often you go out to restuarants, etc. I find that people who feel the need to tell the world about these things are really not the well-to-do ones, but the ones with some serious inferiority complexes - come to think of it, those are the same people who typically tear down others to make themselves feel superior. Now who do we all know that fits that description? Just some food for thought. <wink>
Adam, I never said that price was an issue for anybody. I will now. It's always an issue. It's an issue for me and I have plenty, but never enough. You're the one who is arrogant when you say that it's not an object for anybody Money can cloud decisions and I wanted to remove the factor (i.e., money) that impacts most of our purchasing decisions.

By the way, attacking the CL does not change the fact that the CLS is a mundane driver. You may not like the CL's or (the S') looks, but I suspect that none of you would kick it out of your garage. You guy make it seem like it's the greatest looking car on the planet. It's a 4-door grocery getter! It's an over priced Maxima and I the Maxima is more fun to drive!

Again, it's just my opinion after driving it.

I need to go to the dealer again today and I'm going to redrive it. Perhaps my feeling will change. You guys are so passionate about this car, it deserves a 2nd drive.
Old 02-01-2005 | 12:44 PM

2010 599 HGTE, 2009 LP560-4, 2010 Range Rover Sport SC
i think what we have here is a bunch of CL owners intimidated by the CLS. its going to steal some of their thunder! may not be as fast, but when youre going slower, more people can see what a hot looking car the CLS really is. if you are knocking the CLS based on pictures, stop, and go see it in person. just becasue the CLS has a sloping roofline, or tapered trunk, does not mean it looks like another car. if we want to go that route, we could say the SL and CL resemble the Chrysler Sebring. i have more styling in my pinky.

Wildcat, before you go knocking me again, please make sure u are responding to posts i actually made, and not ones other people made.

i think some people took johns post wrong too, i dont think he was attacking the CLK, although thats actually a case where the styling was not as good as the previous model, and i dont recall him saying he'd take a CLS over a CL, but if i had to make a decision based on looks, id still get the CLS. based on performance and spot on the food chain, the CL is obviosuly the winner. johns post i felt was not an agressive post at all, i think he was pretty neutral and told it like it is.

i dont see how the CLS is based on the CL. maybe its based on the CL cause it has the star integrated into the grill, and maybe it based somewhat on the S cause it has 4 doors. it stops there as far as styling. what youre going to see is the new S, and CL, resemble the lines of the CLS.

also coming from a C32 AMG, the CLS is not that disappointing in terms of performance, my C32 was faster then the CL500, and again i am not disappointed in the "get up and go" of the CLS. theres no way in hell the CLS feels like a streteched C, and i was in an AMG so thats a higher standard, but albeit still a C.

Wildcat, report back on your re-test drive, although i think i know the answer already.

i am not trying to attack anyone here, or put anyones car down, we are all obviosuly sickos when it comes to this stuff, cant we all just get along?!
Old 02-01-2005 | 03:02 PM

It's not all about you. The fact of the matter is that some of the most fun moments in our cars (at least in mine) are on freeway onramps.
It is all about me and the most fun I have in my car is parked...
Old 02-01-2005 | 03:38 PM

ummm... the back seats arent that condusive too...well, u know
Old 02-01-2005 | 04:44 PM

Adam might be right about the back seat – plus you have the wood separation between the seats too – be careful with that Natalie.

Wow, look at some of these posts - I've been called an arrogant <expletive> and apparently I like to hear myself talk due to my mile-long posts. Heck, poor Adam got a shot taken at him for something I said that he didn't even say.

*sigh* Ok - to clarify a few things in another "mile long post" (I type fast - sorry).

1. CLK - good car - said "No" becuase it isn't in the same class and I thought someone had mentioned that it was - was that arrogant??? lol uh - I guess to someone it was. (and incidentally, I loved the old CLK body - was one of my favorite cars of all time - not as fond of the latest one, but that's just an opinion) Again, very sorry if I offended anyone on that one - was totally taken wrong and I'm sorry if it came off incorrectly.

2. S-Class - cool car and all - just in a different realm than the CLS - is that bad? Sorry - I see a lot of them on the road mostly driven by older people. Flagship yes - luxuriuos - absolutely. Just a different animal and “some people” keep comparing them (S430) to a CLS because of price. To hyepower I'm glad you love it - you should - you bought it and it's a great car – one of my friends who has one and is younger than me and he loves his - he is also thinking about selling it and getting a CLS - he's in love with the design of the new CLS – again, everyone has their own taste. Gotta remember - we like to modify the suspension, throw on some 19's, 20's, hook up the stereo, whatever - You can do that with an S , a CL, whatever you have - and again I love CL's - just a little dated IMO and I'm entitled to my opinion last time I checked - can't wait for the new one to come out because I plan on getting it.

3. CL's are relatively rare, mjr24 is correct - again I live in L.A. so I probably see more of them than most people - SL's are all over the place, but again, it's L.A. and there probably aren't many more of those than there are CL's. Will you see as many CLS's in the next 2 years - prob about the same as CL's or SL's I'm sure - I don't really care about that (BTW - I agree with the E-class statement - they must be giving them away becuase I think I see more of them on the road than I see Camry's...lol.)

As for the CLS though, if you've checked the numbers, there is a very limited production on the car in the U.S. and that makes me happy after owning my E. They're still testing the market with it and it may be much like the 1993 - 1997 Lexus GS300. Lexus built an amazing car and didn't produce as many becuase the price tag was $51k for a V6 and the LS was about $55K as was the SC400 (both V8's) - thus demand for this car was limited at the time. It in effect was a "quasi-sedan wanting to be a coupe" given it's body lines and interior styling and I truly believe Mercedes looked at this car when they created the CLS. The problem with the Lexus GS at the time was there wasn't a market for it that was clearly defined - it became the car you saw in all the rap videos (LL Cool J, Jay-Z and Biggie to name a few) because it was an obscure car in it's own class that people bought "because they could" (sound familiar – same thing a lot of people have said in this forum about the CLS) The GS was brought back after a year on ice and eventually was mass produced when they lowered the price, changed the body and targeted younger buyers and a different market segment.

The reason for that piece of history is that car is still a timeless design to this day and up until the day I sold it, it still recived countless compliments.

Anyhow, I love the CLS and definitely partially because of the fact it’s the first 4-door bodystyle I’ve seen that I've fallen in love with since my GS – not everyone will like it and feel it’s worth the money and that’s okay – all Benz’s are nice and we all love them – that’s why we’re on this forum. I’m with Adam in that I just wish everyone could get along – I never meant to aggravate anyone and sorry if I ramble with long posts and I just say whats on my mind.
Old 02-01-2005 | 07:38 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 262 Likes on 187 Posts
Has anyone seen the ads for the new GS430...nice looking car.
Old 02-01-2005 | 08:37 PM

funny u mention, i almost put a deposit down when i saw it at last years chicago auto show, but then the CLS caught my eye and i shifted gears
Old 02-01-2005 | 11:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

M6 Gran Coupe
John, agreed, I have no doubt there are alot more CL's in Cali. Heck, Ferraris are dime a dozen there lol. So, your point is valid there.

I do agree with what some say about the CLK, loved the old style, not sure why they changed to the new style. Nice car, but when I see that huge grille in my rear view with the Benz emblem, I only want to see a CL or SL, not the ML or SLK or CLK. Benz has watered that down (the grille).

I figure you may not see a ton of CLS this year, but I think next year when they depreciate you will. That is why I tried comparing it to the 7 series. I see most 7 series for under 50 and even under 40 now. I also made the comparison because most of you are right, the S class is not something a younger person would buy. If it was the S class versus 7 series, 7 series would win among younger owners. Thus, Benz comes out with the CLS, a sedan with CL styling, to attract away from the 7 series. John, how many CLS are being produced, do you know? I am curious.

I will have to test drive the CLS too just to see. When may car was in for work, I got a C Class wagon as a loaner, lol, it cannot be that bad.
Old 02-01-2005 | 11:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

M6 Gran Coupe
Oh, and the CLS is based on the CL at least looks wise. There is a commercial out right now with a maroon CLS, and it said something to that effect (that it was based on like a generation of luxury coupes or something).
Old 02-02-2005 | 09:57 AM

2007 CL600
I dropped my CL at the dealer to have the distronic sensor adjusted and as promised, I drove the CLS again.

The car continues to be a let down. It was so sad. We were fighting over who would drive it back to the dealership. The salesman and I drove the car for about 30 minutes. He was more disappointed than I.

The car I drove was $71000 and had a sport package.

It did not have Nav.
If did not have the upgraded Stereo
It did not have keyless go
It did no have heated/ventilated/massage seats
It did not have a CD changer
It did not have Parktronic

My loaner is a C240. Nice car for the money. It does not pretend to be something it's not (a fantastic car) They almost felt the same.

The CLS was even more pretty than I remembered though. We turned alot of heads.

Some of you suggested using the CLS back seat for "activities." I suggest that you buy a C240 (you'll not know the difference). With the money you save, you can get a hotel and avoid staining the seats.
Old 02-02-2005 | 10:06 AM

AMG SL 55
I dropped my CL at the dealer to have the distronic sensor adjusted and as promised, I drove the CLS again.

The car continues to be a let down. It was so sad. We were fighting over who would drive it back to the dealership. The salesman and I drove the car for about 30 minutes. He was more disappointed than I.

The car I drove was $71000 and had a sport package.

It did not have Nav.
If did not have the upgraded Stereo
It did not have keyless go
It did no have heated/ventilated/massage seats
It did not have a CD changer
It did not have Parktronic

My loaner is a C240. Nice car for the money. It does not pretend to be something it's not (a fantastic car) They almost felt the same.

The CLS was even more pretty than I remembered though. We turned alot of heads.

Some of you suggested using the CLS back seat for "activities." I suggest that you buy a C240 (you'll not know the difference). With the money you save, you can get a hotel and avoid staining the seats.
One Can get a C55 AMG for the same amount of money. I am in a "AMG only" crisis right now.
Old 02-02-2005 | 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by mjr24
Oh, and the CLS is based on the CL at least looks wise. There is a commercial out right now with a maroon CLS, and it said something to that effect (that it was based on like a generation of luxury coupes or something).
MJR24 - Yeah, you're at least partly right here I'm sure - I just checked out the new post today of the guy who just got his in Plano - silver CLS - when I was looking at it, I did notice that the rear side profile shares similar taillight shaping to the CL IMO.

I'm sure as Mercedes progresses toward new coupe styles they blend part of the old with the new to gradually transition it - much of the styling of the rest of the CLS seems pretty diff than the CLK, SL, SLK, etc, - which makes sense since it is sorta a 4-door hybrid. Good point on the TV ad.
Old 02-02-2005 | 04:35 PM

[QUOTE=mjr24]John, how many CLS are being produced, do you know? I am curious.QUOTE]

This is a good question - I read somewhere that it was around 6,000 in the U.S.

Here is an article to check out from back in April, 04':

http://auto.consumerguide.com/auto/e.../act/feature25

"Mercedes hopes to sell between 8,000-10,000 CLS per year. "

Guess we'll have to wait and see - if anyone has any more info on this please add it - I think a lot of people are curious.
Old 02-02-2005 | 06:33 PM

'08 S550 '09 C350 '06 C280
All great opinions, but I have to agree with John that maybe a less aggressive stance on the subject ('Not too excited', or even 'not impressed') would have made this subject more to the point and less of a boxing match.

My experience with benzs have been good and bad (ever since my '91 190E 2.6 which broke my heart to say the least) but I would qualify as extensive.

In looking to replace my S I wanted something new. I live in OC and within a 2 house radius there are 2xSL (beige 500 and silver 55), A8 black, 2x645 (white hard and black conv) and a black 745Li. So i didn't want the same car as my neighbor (i know pathetic, but what can I say).

I needed something to take clients around in, so no 2 doors or compacts. The reason I was over the S was it was a big car, Im 5'8" 140lb. I considered the E55 (I even ordered one 6 months ago and turned it down), Phaeton (for like 20 mins) and Audi S6/A6 (test drove, too stiff, hated interior). It sounds kinda funny but it's like they designed the CLS for me. It's sporty (HAVE TO ADD AMG), seats 4 comfortably w/o bending over to get into back seat and love the extensive wood design/interior.

I'm happy with my decision, i will say wildcat made me go back to the dealer twice to test drive it again, but it's definitely such an elegant and sexy sexy car.

Just my 2 cents, Enjoy,
TB
Old 02-03-2005 | 02:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

M6 Gran Coupe
Wait, LOL, you actually took 20 min. thinking about the Phaeton?? What were you thinking about it in those 20 min!?
Old 02-03-2005 | 03:36 AM

Mercedes all the way!
i agree with the rest that A Piece Of Crap is not exactly the best way to start a forum meant to be neutral. the CLS is most definitely not a piece of crap, and no one has EVER suggested that it is in the same league as an S. in fact, the price gives it away -- unless you are in some tax-crazy country in Asia (like me), an S will cost way above the CLS.

and yes, there's an 04 S350L, 03 E240, 95 E230, and 94 S500 on my driveway, and I've just tested the CLS. in terms of luxury, IMHO at least, even the 03 E has the 04S licked. the 04 S came out during merc's price-cutting phase, and even with the face-lift, the essential "solidness" just isn't there even though it's got more toys -- grandpa insisted, though.

the CLS on the other hand is so much better built and finished. yes, it's not very good value for money, but i for one would never go down well with the 6-series or 7-series look -- BMW makes interesting and very nice driving cars, but they are uncomfortable (lets face it, the ride is horrible), not luxurious (excluding the 7), overly complicated, and IMHO absolutely hideous in and out--striking, but so is the hunchback of Notre Dame. oh, don't even mention the A6 -- how does it even compete with the E with an interior so cold, it makes lufthansa look bright and cheerful? oh, have you ever driven one? i have, and the switches were so low quality, click-clacking like a car from the 80s. Lexus? oh please... (just IMHO, of course )

would i buy CLS? perhaps -- it is better driving than the E. it is more luxurious and IMO more solid, inside, than an S. though it doesn't ride as smoothly. i found the steering to be better than the E. but i'd wait for the next S to come before deciding. the 04 S is the one that i felt was really not worth the money for what it is -- if not for the image and the smoothness.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: A Piece Of Crap