CLS Coupe (C219) Discuss the CLS Coupe.

A Piece Of Crap

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-27-2005 | 11:02 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2007 CL600
A Piece Of Crap

I test drove a CLS today. It's way overpriced. It felt like a stretched C-Class. It just didn't feel like a $71000 car. The rear looks like a Jag (uggh). Those of you considering a purchase, I hope that you've driven a car. It looks better than it drives. It does not feel like a Benz. You'd be way better off buying a CPO '03 or '04 S-Class for less money and have three times the car.

Save your money. There are better cars out there for this kind of dough. I was really disappointed.
Old 01-27-2005 | 11:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 599 HGTE, 2009 LP560-4, 2010 Range Rover Sport SC
you are nuts. u must have been at the bmw dealer or something...
Old 01-27-2005 | 11:18 PM

SL550
Originally Posted by WIldcat465
I test drove a CLS today. It's way overpriced. It felt like a stretched C-Class. It just didn't feel like a $71000 car. The rear looks like a Jag (uggh). Those of you considering a purchase, I hope that you've driven a car. It looks better than it drives. It does not feel like a Benz. You'd be way better off buying a CPO '03 or '04 S-Class for less money and have three times the car.

Save your money. There are better cars out there for this kind of dough. I was really disappointed.
Thanks for sharing. To each his own.
Old 01-27-2005 | 11:25 PM

2007 CL600
Originally Posted by adam76
Nuts? Try honest. I'm not saying that the car doesn't look good, it's just not what I expect from an MB. Look, I drive an SL600 and a CL500. I know what an MB feels like. I've owned my share of S-Class sedans and BMWs. I was as excited as the next guy about this car, but it's overpriced. Money WOULD be better spent on a cpo S-class or a new (speaking of BMWs) 6-series.

Have you driven an S-Class?

Did you test drive any S-classes? or other cars in the $75,000 price range? I'm not sure, but I think you can have a CLK55 for that kind of money. If not, Buy an Audi or BMW. Just my opinion. I suspect that resale on these is going to be soft. I'm not trying to hate on you or your new car, but simply suggest that potential buyers need to shop carefully.

The car felt like a C-Class. If it was $50k, I could justify it, but there are so many other cars in this price range that are superior.

Last edited by WIldcat465; 01-27-2005 at 11:28 PM.
Old 01-27-2005 | 11:28 PM

2007 CL600

By the way, the salesman warned me before I got in the car and I didn't want to believe him. I suspect he was disappointed too.

Last edited by WIldcat465; 01-27-2005 at 11:36 PM.
Old 01-27-2005 | 11:32 PM

CLS55
Originally Posted by bm75204
Thanks for sharing. To each his own.
Old 01-27-2005 | 11:42 PM

i find it funny since im familiar with all of that. my dad has an S, i think the S feels dated, in fact, if the S wasnt changing in a year or too, he even thought he'd move to a CLS, not that the CLS was better, but he liked it a lot. My uncle has a CL which ive driven, again the CLS is not better, but not far off. my buddy has an sl55, this is a different beast, but again, its not like night and day. i came from a c32, and theres no way in hell the CLS feels like my old car stretched. i compared the LS430 (already own GS), and 7 series. the LS was more along the lines of the S, and the 7 was weak. all the dealers at my dealership were impressed, but then again theyd agree with either of us just to agree ; ) not sure what happened in your experience, but i do encourage all to take a test drive, i doubt u will be dissapointed!
Old 01-28-2005 | 08:37 AM
Almost a Member!

2007 S550 Alabaster
Wildcat465, I appreciate your thoughts and experience on the driving feel of the new CLS. I'm a first time MB buyer and have driven the CLS twice - it compared very comparably to an E500 and the interior design feels more coupe like and richer.

Haven't tried a S-class, but you have given me reason to do so. I do own a 745i and can tell you that the CLS500 does compete very well with it IMO.

Driving experience is a matter of taste and I suspect the extra price for the CLS is as much about the design as it is the performance (although the interior design does appeal to me much more than the E500). At the end of the day I think many balance a variety of factors against a car purchase and sometimes folks pay more for looks than others feel is warranted.
Old 01-28-2005 | 11:52 PM

2007 CL600
Originally Posted by factoid junkie
Wildcat465, I appreciate your thoughts and experience on the driving feel of the new CLS. I'm a first time MB buyer and have driven the CLS twice - it compared very comparably to an E500 and the interior design feels more coupe like and richer.

Haven't tried a S-class, but you have given me reason to do so. I do own a 745i and can tell you that the CLS500 does compete very well with it IMO.

Driving experience is a matter of taste and I suspect the extra price for the CLS is as much about the design as it is the performance (although the interior design does appeal to me much more than the E500). At the end of the day I think many balance a variety of factors against a car purchase and sometimes folks pay more for looks than others feel is warranted.
I drove a 745 two weeks ago looking for a sedan in which my parents could be comfortable. The CLS is nowhere near the 7's level. Technical complexity aside, I enjoyed the 745 (although I has a tough time getting it started.) The CLS is a nice grocery getter. . .nothing wrong with that, but it don't think it's world class (which it should be for $70k). I had a new S-Class on loan several weeks ago. Very comfortable, smooth cruiser. BMW 7 felt more solid, and both are miles above the CLS.

I understand that people get all exited about a new Benz with sexy line; but I didn't see much past the pretty face. Six month down the road after living with the car, it's gotta make you smile everytime you drive it. I had my 600 and enjoyed every minute of it. Took the CL out this evening for dinner wifey and felt pampered. When I drove the CLS, I felt insulted that MB would charge big money for the CLS. It just didn't feel special. (Can't you get a 745 for this kinda money?) It's a least as 2 times as good as the CLS. I'm not trying to flame anybody or bash the CLS, these are just my impressions. It did look nice with the AMG wheels.

By the way, I love the looks of the 745 better than the S, but it's just too complex. Just to start the car is confusing. Unlike a benz with Keyless Go, you just push a button. MB's new nav is wasier to use than the 745's. But the Bmw drives like a bimmer and that feeling is hard to beat.
Old 01-28-2005 | 11:55 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
You could get a LS430 loaded for that kinda money.

You do pay more for the Mercedes styling and the Mercedes name.
Old 01-29-2005 | 12:09 AM

2007 CL600
i find it funny since im familiar with all of that. my dad has an S, i think the S feels dated, in fact, if the S wasnt changing in a year or too, he even thought he'd move to a CLS, not that the CLS was better, but he liked it a lot. My uncle has a CL which ive driven, again the CLS is not better, but not far off. my buddy has an sl55, this is a different beast, but again, its not like night and day. i came from a c32, and theres no way in hell the CLS feels like my old car stretched. i compared the LS430 (already own GS), and 7 series. the LS was more along the lines of the S, and the 7 was weak. all the dealers at my dealership were impressed, but then again theyd agree with either of us just to agree ; ) not sure what happened in your experience, but i do encourage all to take a test drive, i doubt u will be dissapointed!
Adam76, did you read and understand what you wrote?

my buddy has an sl55, this is a different beast, but again, its not like night and day.[/B]

You're right. The difference is more like the difference between life and death.

#2. My uncle has a CL which ive driven, again the CLS is not better, but not far off.
Right again. In the big scheme of things, a million miles is not far. The CLS is not in the same universe.

Knowing a buddy with an SL55 and having an uncle who lets you park his CL, is not like owning either vehicle. Your CLS looks nice and it's is pleasant to drive, but you could have bought an Audi V8 for the same money.

When I first drove my SL, I could not stop smiling. It was uncontrollable, same thing in the CL. I was EXPECTING the sae feeeling from the CLS, but I know that it was average after driving it 50 feet. Again it's a nice grocery getter, but don't expect to be accepted into the Big Dog Club. The CLS would make a good mascot.

I can't speak to the LS, so I can't offer an opinion. My experence has been that Japanese cars are very pleasant and reliable and less fun to drive. But I don't beleive it's a contender for the 7, but I have no basis for that. I do know that the BMW V8 is a wonderful motor. I'll drive an LS this weekend.

The S-class did feel a little dated on the inside--not the road feel. Still way above the cls.

CLS sure is pretty. All it needs is some pink bows on the mirrors.

Last edited by WIldcat465; 01-29-2005 at 12:16 AM.
Old 01-29-2005 | 11:36 AM

youre just upset cause the CLS has more styling then either your CL or SL. stick to your Riv.
Old 01-29-2005 | 12:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63
the Big Dog Club
lmfao.

youre just upset cause the CLS has more styling then either your CL or SL. stick to your Riv.
no since in getting all upset about it...

they are all three beautiful cars imo no matter the price.
Old 01-29-2005 | 03:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
none

I agree with you 100%. I test drove one today and was not impressed.
I have shown numerous people pictures of the CLS and the responses vary from Intrepid, Dodge, Buick, Jag/Taurus with a 300c roofline. When Imentioned you can only seat four most people looked at me like I was crazy.
If you buy a TRUE coupe then are you going to be able to seat four people. A sedan, which the CLS is should seat 5.. Whomever designated the CLS a coupe is a RETARD.

IMHO the design team on the CLS consisted of TOO MANY designers. The car has no "style" like the rest of the current Mercedes Benzs.

Last edited by lorinserbenz; 01-29-2005 at 03:53 PM.
Old 01-29-2005 | 05:31 PM

CLS 350 and R230
Angry

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]The CLS is NOT a sedan! It´s a coupé with 4 doors. The word "coupé" doesn´t mean that there MUST be 2 doors..."Coupé" is french and is meant as "a compartment for every passenger". So, the CLS has 4 single-seats and so there´s "a compartment for every passenger"...
The CLS is a new way of coupé and based on the W211 E-Class, it´s strategically placed between E- and S-Class. Logically, the price is also placed between E- and S-Class...

I would designate the CLS as a kind of "marketing-experiment" by DC...
Off course, it´s courageously to require "S-Class"-prices for an "E-Class"-car, but, at least in Germany, it works...

Last edited by bjoern1980; 01-29-2005 at 05:35 PM.
Old 01-29-2005 | 08:03 PM

im just playin around. everyone will have their opinion, for every car, there will be "haters". i agree all these cars including the Riv, are fine automobiles
Old 01-29-2005 | 11:37 PM

2007 CL600
Originally Posted by ricky.agrawal
You could get a LS430 loaded for that kinda money.

You do pay more for the Mercedes styling and the Mercedes name.
I agree, MBs can look really overpriced when compared to a Lexus. The japanese offer no competitor for either the SL (the SC is not an SL competitor) or the CL, so they weren't considered. Again, I haven't driven a new LS430; however, I suspect that it's a competent car able to compete with German Big Dogs (i.e., upper end MB and BMW Sedans). My only aversion to the Japanese cars is that they seem to lack the fun factor the comes with the German brands I've driven ad they don't look as muscular as MBs and BMWs. That's not a negative, but just a preference.
Old 01-29-2005 | 11:48 PM
bhr
Almost a Member!

After reading this thread me as someone who has ordered a CLS and ad his doubts at times agrees in way. You have to admit that the CLS is one hell of Mercedes interm of exterior design and interior however you are paying an S-Class price for a made over E-Class

Where i live you can get a Porsche 997 Carrera for the exact price of a CLS 350
Old 01-29-2005 | 11:52 PM

2007 CL600
(Why do I entertain this dribble?) You're right, I should take either my '05 SL600 or my CL to the dealer and trade it in for the overpriced Jag/Taurus knock-off grocery getter (By the way, when was the last time you showed a Ferrari your taillights?) Don't hate me because of what you drive. I'd be proud to take your car to get groceries (paper or plastic?). BTW, Given a choice between my '65 Riv Gran Sport with two four barrel carbs which today still turns heads 40 years later and your rebadged ford/jag, I'll take the Riv beucase it'll never be mistaken for a Ford. Here's what you could of had:
Attached Thumbnails A Piece Of Crap-65rivgs2.jpg  

Last edited by WIldcat465; 01-30-2005 at 10:57 AM.
Old 01-30-2005 | 12:03 AM

im just baffled... how could someone with a collection of cars like that, have no clue about them?? seek help.
Old 01-30-2005 | 12:32 AM

2007 CL600
im just baffled... how could someone with a collection of cars like that, have no clue about them?? seek help.
I'm not sure what you mean about not having a clue, but the purpose of this thread is to help. I just offered an opinion about my test drive. I just believe that when you lay down hard cash, you should get your money's worth. With an SL600, I arguably have one of the best looking production cars in the world and 500hp. What did you get?

By the way, regardless about what I drive, I don't need to have a clue about it. Actually, the SL is my wife's car, she bought it for the color without even test driving it. It's her grocery getter, she doesn't need a clue about it, she doesn't care. Believe it or not she drives a car similar to yours (Her company car--a Taurus!) during the week. I think I'll go to the dealer and get some CLS badges for it. I can mail you the Taurus badges after I remove them if you'd like.

Again, I'm not trying to flame, I just having fun at this point. The CLS is not a piece of crap, it's just not living up to the hype. It IS pleasant driving and good-looking, but you could have had a 741i or 645 or the big Lexus all of which have the same amount or more seating and have more prestige and Big Dogness. I'm just saying shop around and don't have blind faith to MB. Expect more and switch brands if you don't get it.

My CL lease is up in 23 months. I love the CL's looks and feel, but you can be damn sure that I will shop really hard before I buy another $110k car. *****, I could have had a 745 AND a nice beater. I'm keeping the SL.

Last edited by WIldcat465; 01-30-2005 at 11:00 AM.
Old 01-30-2005 | 01:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2 SL with every Brabus mods available & Class A competition sound system
I guess MB don't built the car like they use to........
Old 01-30-2005 | 05:22 AM

CLS 350 and R230
@ WIldcat465

If you think the CLS is a rebadged jag/taurus you should take your Riv for a ride to the optician...

The CLS is more for younger drivers while the CL is (at least in Germany) for the older ones.

Maybe you could give your wifeys Taurus to "Pimp my ride"...They are able to make a custom CLS with it...
Old 01-30-2005 | 10:47 AM

2007 CL600
Originally Posted by bjoern1980
@ WIldcat465

If you think the CLS is a rebadged jag/taurus you should take your Riv for a ride to the optician...

Maybe you could give your wifeys Taurus to "Pimp my ride"...They are able to make a custom CLS with it...

The CLS is more for younger drivers while the CL is (at least in Germany) for the older ones.
Who said that the CL is for older drivers? I checked the brochure and could not find that classification anywhere. I'm 38 and I wouldn't consider that to be older, but mabe I'm kidding myself. Are you saying that it's and old guy's car because younger drivers don't like the CL or is it becuase younger people tend to have children and need a sedan (oops, I mean a 4-door coupe) to fit the family, diapers and groceries? I always felt that coupes like the CL appealed to those of us who enjoyed the ride of a Big Dog sedan (like an S-class) but didn't want the family image or need the four doors.

Originally Posted by bjoern1980
I'm not suggesting that your CLS is a rebadged ford; however, there are some styling elements that reminded me et al of a Jag which looks like a taurus. Just for people to say Ford and CLS in the same sentence with respect to their styling would be enough for me to rethink my purchase of a CLS. Your don't hear people saying CL (or E or S) in the same sentence as Ford suggesting that there is a resemblence. That's because they look and feel like an MB.

Again, I'm not trying to attack. I like the CLS' looks, it's the feel that's missing. $71,000. Why are you guys so defensive? DOn't be mad at me. Wifey's Taurus has been attacked. My Rivera (a great classic of the muscle car era) has been attacked. Both my SL and CL have been insulted.

By the way, before you purchased your CLS', how many of you drove it's competition:

A6 4.2 Auto Tiptronic® quattro®
Base MSRP: $50,500
Price as configured: $61,270 FULLY LOADED

Lexus LS430 (More an S-Class competitor, but someone mentioned it so I included it) Ultra Luxury Selection with Pre-Collision System (PCS) with Additional Options - FULLY LOADED $74,124.00

VW Phaeton V8 4.2L 4dr Sedan
4.2L 335hp 8-cylinder $71,400. FULLY LOADED

CLS500
DVD COMAND Navigation $1,240.00
Electronic Trunk Closer $510.00
317 Comfort Package $1,500.00
320 Entertainment Package $980.00

NO SPORT PACKAGE, NO BI-XENONS, no keyless go - CERTAINLY THE BEST LOOKING THOUGH, AUDI HAS QUATTRO MORE OPTIONS AND IS A BETTER CAR

Wow, this analysis opened my eyes about how expensive MBs are relative to other cars. I wish that the SL had a true competitor that would allow me to compare.

Last edited by WIldcat465; 01-30-2005 at 11:02 AM.
Old 01-30-2005 | 10:54 AM

2007 CL600
Originally Posted by deuce zer0
lmfao.

no since in getting all upset about it...

they are all three beautiful cars imo no matter the price.
Beauty is skin deep. Ugly is to the bone. Again the CLS is looks nice.

SL600. Beauty to the bone.

CL500. Beauty to the bone.

Last edited by WIldcat465; 01-30-2005 at 01:16 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: A Piece Of Crap