CLS Coupe (C257) Discuss the CLS Coupe

48 volt battery problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-28-2022, 12:27 PM

Received 243 Likes on 155 Posts
'19 CLS53, '19 SL550, '22 GLE53
Originally Posted by Rossted
All faults reset, 48 volt battery checked ok and so now "good to go". I don't think so!! If it happens once it will happen again and this is a major safety issue. I would be interested if anyone else on this forum has had a similar experience.
My first reaction to any of these problems is one needs to make sure that the battery charge is maintained. How much is this vehicle driven on short trips? I'd connect a trickle charger any time the vehicle sits for 3-4 days and, if only short trips are taken, I'd connect a standard full-size charger overnight on weekends. At least so far, I've had zero issues with the 48 volt system on my CLS and GLE and I attribute this in part to making sure the batteries are charged.
Old 03-28-2022, 01:10 PM

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
e450 All Terrain
Originally Posted by slk55er
My first reaction to any of these problems is one needs to make sure that the battery charge is maintained. How much is this vehicle driven on short trips? I'd connect a trickle charger any time the vehicle sits for 3-4 days and, if only short trips are taken, I'd connect a standard full-size charger overnight on weekends. At least so far, I've had zero issues with the 48 volt system on my CLS and GLE and I attribute this in part to making sure the batteries are charged.
FWIW—I do the same now. Day 5 of the e450 All Terrain’s life resulted in very dead car. Battery had to be replaced.

Ever since I have kept it on a CTEK charger/maintainer and no problems the last 2k miles. I put it on the charger a few nights a week since it only goes out for short trips between road trips.

Day 5 trip to the dealer from dead 48v battery.
Old 03-28-2022, 01:40 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
GLS
Originally Posted by wien0305
FWIW—I do the same now. Day 5 of the e450 All Terrain’s life resulted in very dead car. Battery had to be replaced.

Ever since I have kept it on a CTEK charger/maintainer and no problems the last 2k miles. I put it on the charger a few nights a week since it only goes out for short trips between road trips.

Day 5 trip to the dealer from dead 48v battery.
if that was the case why is the dealer fix just a reflash of the computer and send u on ur way?
they do not charge the battery or instruct u to charge it. I was convinced they fixed it after over 2 weeks @ the dealership only for it to happen again 6 months later. My GLS has 36k miles on it and is driven regularly. This problem didn’t happen until 24k miles. We have had a lot of other electrical issues in between though.
ur remedy is only false hope.
Old 03-28-2022, 03:02 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,654 Likes on 2,257 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
Originally Posted by Rossted
I know this is a Mercedes forum but wife driving 2020 Audi S8 when a multitude of Warning Messages came up eventually shutting down the car in the middle of traffic. And I do mean "dead in the water" with Traffic Police behind her to protect her from upcoming traffic until the automobile could be taken to dealership. Biggest concern, as if failure of a $150,000 automobile unable to proceed wasn't enough, was that all wheel steering failed causing the automobile to veer towards the median. Local dealer found more than 59 faults mostly due to inadequate charge on 48 volt battery. All faults reset, 48 volt battery checked ok and so now "good to go". I don't think so!! If it happens once it will happen again and this is a major safety issue. I would be interested if anyone else on this forum has had a similar experience.
Sorry to hear that, I am glad no one was injured.

Not understanding this (but I admit my knowledge with audi is limited), we had power steering for a while now on cars and up till then it was always assisted by the 12V battery, I don't understand how throwing a 48V battery messes up the entire matrix, was audi over confident on the 48V battery so even critical driving systems especially steering when the vehicle is in motion are assisted by the 48V battery? Although MB's 48V system powers the starter, the e-turbo on 53 models, the electric water pump, AC etc.
Old 03-30-2022, 07:25 AM

GLS
2020 GLS

It appears there is really no software update. In actuality, they are just reflashing the computer and clearing the codes. The first time our car shut down due to the 48v issue we were told it was the paint on the terminals/connections. I questioned this as the car has had numerous electrical issues since new and this didn’t happen until it was almost 2yrs old and had 22k miles. MBUSA insists that the paint was the cause. The second time we got stuck (6 months later) they just reflashed the computer and said if it happens again to bring it back. I asked if they did a software update and they said no, it was currently up to date. So in essence, they did nothing except clear the codes. My service advisor said it’s such a complex system they really don’t know of a fix or why it’s happening.
the kicker is , MBUSA acts as if my car is the only car this has happened to and they say all the threads online about this issue are fake news! They are in total denial.
Old 03-30-2022, 06:19 PM

Received 119 Likes on 76 Posts
2021 e All Terrain, 2001 e55
Originally Posted by 9157
It appears there is really no software update. , MBUSA acts as if my car is the only car this has happened to and they say all the threads online about this issue are fake news! They are in total denial.
This is very sad news! I had hoped this problem was behind me.
Old 03-30-2022, 06:51 PM

Received 103 Likes on 76 Posts
2021 E450 All Terrain Wagon
Originally Posted by e55phil
This is very sad news! I had hoped this problem was behind me.
Phil, I think this is a slightly different problem than we have. Another member commented on that earlier today but, for some reason, I'm not seeing his comment on this thread. Maybe it was under a different forum -- "48 volt battery". Here's what he said: " Actually, your issue seems to be different from most of the rest of ours mentioned on this thread. When mine failed it required a new battery and a software update. There was a test run on mine as per Mercedes Tech Bulletin to confirm that I needed a new battery. Yours seems more like a transient glitch, the kind that is hard to replicate and diagnose."

Last edited by Longroof45; 03-30-2022 at 06:54 PM.
Old 03-30-2022, 07:01 PM

Received 119 Likes on 76 Posts
2021 e All Terrain, 2001 e55
Originally Posted by Longroof45
Phil, I think this is a slightly different problem than we have. Another member commented on that earlier today but, for some reason, I'm not seeing his comment on this thread. Maybe it was under a different forum -- "48 volt battery". Here's what he said: " Actually, your issue seems to be different from most of the rest of ours mentioned on this thread. When mine failed it required a new battery and a software update. There was a test run on mine as per Mercedes Tech Bulletin to confirm that I needed a new battery. Yours seems more like a transient glitch, the kind that is hard to replicate and diagnose."
L.R.45. I hope you are correct for our sakes. Also I hope we d not have this problem as well. I have driven 3500 miles without any issue.
Old 03-30-2022, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by e55phil
L.R.45. I hope you are correct for our sakes. Also I hope we d not have this problem as well. I have driven 3500 miles without any issue.
I'm just passing it on but I hope it's correct as well. I have 5,000 miles since my new battery and so far, so good.
Old 05-11-2022, 01:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes’ Benz EQS 580
Brand new EQS 580 displays malfunction screen and has lot of issues

Hello, we are stunned at amount of issues new EQS 580 posing.
on the second day started throwing malfunction error. And sends on will battery critical messages via app. Yesterday it did not release charger cable car completely shut down no help until morning dealer sent someone to take car back.
please help reply if anyone going through this.
I believe this is first EQS 580 sold in Colorado .
any one else from Colorado?
Old 05-11-2022, 02:16 PM

Mercedes’ Benz EQS 580
Colorado

Do u own EQS 580 and from Colorado

Originally Posted by wien0305
When I had mine towed I pressed foot on brake, pressed starter button, when the warning light came on I then toggled the shifter up and down. Eventually it went into neutral.

I had my battery replaced last week. My car only has 152 miles on it. I sincerely hope that the new battery does not fail. I've also got some creaks on the door panels. My faith in MB is way down. The fact that MB Denver has done 60 of these replacements already tells me MB has a known issue on their hands and is doing nothing. That's a real shame in my book. These cars ain't cheap.

I had a VW iD4 while the wagon was in the shop. That car was fun to drive. That instant torque in electrics is awesome. If the All Terrain gets lemoned I'd probably just go that route. I hope it doesn't come to that.
Old 07-27-2022, 03:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Volvo S60
Looking to order a new GLC with the 48v hybrid system. Been following all the threads on 48v battery problems. Seems like posts have quieted down, has the problem been resolved?
Old 07-27-2022, 04:25 PM

GLS
Originally Posted by kesslykaes
Looking to order a new GLC with the 48v hybrid system. Been following all the threads on 48v battery problems. Seems like posts have quieted down, has the problem been resolved?
take a look at the GLE & GLS forums.

hammer88 , 06-27-2022 06:35 AM
Hi, just took delivery of a new 2022 GLS 450. Driving home on the day I took delivery, I lost power and got the following messages: Red battery picture, See Operators Manual and also Yellow battery picture, 48V Battery, See Operator’s Manual. To regain power, I had to pull over, turn off the ignition and restart the car. I searched for this issue and it seems most posts regarding the 48V battery had to do with the car not starting and not losing power while driving. Has anyone else experienced the loss of power while driving on a 2022?
Old 07-27-2022, 05:02 PM

I've followed those posts closely because my '21 E450 wagon was a victim twice in its first 800 miles, and I can confirm that the posts have died down considerably. (I'm pushing 8,000 miles now without a problem). However, to my knowledge MB has never acknowedged the problem as widespread, nor has it made a public announcement of a "fix" (which would be acknowledging that there was a widespread problem). However, the issue seems to be quietly going away and, to the extent they still occur, dealers seem better prepared at dealing with them. I think 9157's response is accurate in that the overwhelming number of posts dealt with the cars just not starting, versus losing power along the way.
Old 07-27-2022, 08:52 PM

Received 224 Likes on 133 Posts
S580
I sold my S last month and I'm still getting battery critical emails lol. Makes me wonder if the problem returned.
Old 07-27-2022, 08:56 PM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by ColeBlooded
I sold my S last month and I'm still getting battery critical emails lol. Makes me wonder if the problem returned.
Interesting, the new owner didn't register a Mercedes Me account with the vehicle for some reason. May we know why you sold your S?
Old 07-27-2022, 09:10 PM

Received 243 Likes on 155 Posts
'19 CLS53, '19 SL550, '22 GLE53
Seems that most problems can be traced to
1) a bad batch of batteries several years ago which has been resolved, and
2) inadequate charging of the 12volt battery which in turn, charges the 48 volt battery.

From my experience, the second source of trouble can be mitigated by regularly charging the battery with an external 12v charger -- either a trickle charger or a standard regular charger. In over 3 years with my '19 CLS53 and 8 months with my GLE53 I have had zero problems.

After several days of short trips or when parking these vehicle for more than several days, I have always hooked up a trickle charger at least overnight or used a larger charger for a couple of hours to bring the 12v battery up close to full charge. If I were bringing a new vehicle home from the dealer, the first thing I'd do is hook up a charger. Likewise after driving multiple short trips. That's my take -- keep the batteries charged.
Old 07-27-2022, 09:12 PM

S580
Originally Posted by W205C43PFL
Interesting, the new owner didn't register a Mercedes Me account with the vehicle for some reason. May we know why you sold your S?
It's actually on a used car lot still. I deleted the Mercedes me app from my phone but i still get the battery critical emails

I loved my S but i get a new car itch every year. I ordered a G class but i don't think I'll take it because of the markup.
Old 07-27-2022, 09:28 PM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by ColeBlooded
It's actually on a used car lot still. I deleted the Mercedes me app from my phone but i still get the battery critical emails

I loved my S but i get a new car itch every year. I ordered a G class but i don't think I'll take it because of the markup.
Ah I see, I wonder why it is taking them so long to sell the car.
Old 07-28-2022, 12:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,586 Likes on 982 Posts
Mercedes/Mazda/Genesis
Originally Posted by W205C43PFL
Ah I see, I wonder why it is taking them so long to sell the car.
Most likely price. With the used market, I wouldn't be surprised if the dealer is trying to sell the car for almost sticker, or maybe even more considering ColeBlooded has some modifications that people may like. At this price range of six-figures, a lot of people are willing to pay for or wait for a new one with or without markup.
Old 07-28-2022, 01:13 PM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by js_cls
Most likely price. With the used market, I wouldn't be surprised if the dealer is trying to sell the car for almost sticker, or maybe even more considering ColeBlooded has some modifications that people may like. At this price range of six-figures, a lot of people are willing to pay for or wait for a new one with or without markup.
True.
Old 08-06-2022, 01:22 PM

S580
Originally Posted by js_cls
I just checked the listing. They actually went up a thousand dollars on the listing. The only mods are chrome delete and window tint which is pretty easily reversible. I even left the OEM chrome emblems in the trunk for them.
https://www.grandkennesaw.com/detail...0ma037898.html
Old 01-09-2023, 06:24 PM

2022 GLE450
It’s still happening!

We purchased our ‘22 GLE 450 a year ago and have experienced non stop technical issues with it.
I’ve had the vehicle not start for me in the past, but it would typically immediately start when I tried again.
However, I was left stranded for 45 min last week with an “innactive battery.” Mercedes Me said it would be 3 hrs for a tow. Did I mention I live in Alberta?? Thankfully my husband was able to come get me, but he thought he’d try to pop off the start button and use the manual key. He bumped the switch and the car suddenly started!

It's currently at the dealership and I just got the call that they’re going to replace the 48V battery.

This is our first Merc, and while I absolutely love the car, and the customer service is unparalleled, the technical issues, fussiness, and subsequently unreliability are forcing us to look for a different vehicle.

I read a few people having this problem even after the replacement. Anyone recently experiencing problems after a 48 v replacement?
Old 01-09-2023, 06:31 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2021 GLS450
So far so good. I've read that some vehicles came with batteries from a bad batch. After having mine replaced, no issues so far. I feel you on the long wait for a tow. We live on O'ahu and had to wait 5 hours when it happened to us.
The following 2 users liked this post by jkendp:
dagger22 (01-10-2023), dhurl (01-09-2023)