C219 CLS55 and CLS63, 2004-2010

Looking to buy a cls 55

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 08:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 Audi S4 Stage 2+ (sold)
Looking to buy a cls 55

im pretty new to the MB and love the CLS, I was wondering if you guys can give me any tips what to look for, also any pros or cons on the car?? thanks
Old 02-27-2008, 08:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2007 CLS63 030
Originally Posted by CLS Demon
im pretty new to the MB and love the CLS, I was wondering if you guys can give me any tips what to look for, also any pros or cons on the car?? thanks
Car is fast and sexy, just make sure you get one with warranty in tact. should be some good deals out there on the beast.
1. Warranty
2.Look for performance package
3. Low mileage
Good Luck
Old 02-27-2008, 09:48 PM

06 CLS55 AMG
Loof for these options in the car

keyless go, parktronic, distronic, auto closing trunk, wired for phone cradle/bluetooth. wired for ipod (not aux jack in glovebox)

I believe the 55 differs in tpms, we have some sort of speed sensor and not individual tpms sensors in each wheel.

030 performance package would be real nice. Ask about the drip rail recall before you take possession and any other recall that may need to be done.

watch for any ripples in the doors. seems to be some reports of people with ripples in the door caused by the design or something like that.

Good luck she's a sexy beast.
Old 02-27-2008, 10:03 PM

2009 CL63 AMG,2006 CLS55 AMG, 2007 Denali
Originally Posted by Jocampo

keyless go, parktronic, distronic, auto closing trunk, wired for phone cradle/bluetooth. wired for ipod (not aux jack in glovebox)

I believe the 55 differs in tpms, we have some sort of speed sensor and not individual tpms sensors in each wheel.

030 performance package would be real nice. Ask about the drip rail recall before you take possession and any other recall that may need to be done.

watch for any ripples in the doors. seems to be some reports of people with ripples in the door caused by the design or something like that.

+1 good luck finding one... and when you do... you're gona love HER!!!
Old 02-27-2008, 10:11 PM

thanks guys, looking fwd to it!!
Old 02-27-2008, 10:13 PM

what kinda drip? and ripples? where should i look and is it paint?

btw are you looking to sell yours! lol thats what i want a white one and yours looks bad ***
Old 02-28-2008, 07:27 AM

06 CLS55 AMG
Hey thanks! i've used alot of great information i have found on this forum.

also try to get the dynamic seats, i have them, i am not sure if they were standard on cls or not.

The drip rail recall is this very long strip on both sides of the windshield and it goes all the way across the roof to the back windshield. from what they told me it would start to rust on the inside, and discolor. Thankfully when they took mine off there was no rust

I have not seen the ripples in the doors but i had an educated guess as to how they formed. I believe that on a very windy day you could open your door and it can "fly" open on you causing some damage to it. i really dont know much about this one as it has only been mentioned in the forum. i have not seen any pics on it.

I would sell her if the price was right

I was looking at the us distribution numbers of cls55's in america in 2006 and i believe the number was around 2700. we found this info on the amg owners lounge.

f.y.i my car mods have been, carlsson front lip, 8000k headlights, 8000k fog lamps, 360forged espresso wheels, tinted windshield, painted side markers, and painted grill (white), i do have another set of fog lamp grills (white) and center grill white (i change them when i get bored, so the whole front is white) . Also painted the diffuser white. I am in the process of doing my polished sill plates with an illuminated amg logo. heres some shots of my wheel, and car.
Attached Thumbnails Looking to buy a cls 55-cappucino2.jpg   Looking to buy a cls 55-n842599503_255615_4384.jpg   Looking to buy a cls 55-n842599503_265422_2221.jpg   Looking to buy a cls 55-n842599503_265421_1871.jpg   Looking to buy a cls 55-n842599503_209001_7618.jpg  

Looking to buy a cls 55-n842599503_209006_8804.jpg  

Last edited by Jocampo; 02-28-2008 at 10:24 AM.
Old 02-28-2008, 09:41 AM

06 CLS55 AMG
Get an updated style keyfob too. I hated the black ones, i put those in my dungeon.

the nighttime pic is prior to my 8000k headlights, but the fogs were 8000k.
and in that night pic you can see the new driprail.

Attached Thumbnails Looking to buy a cls 55-image_096.jpg   Looking to buy a cls 55-n842599503_217489_9263.jpg  

Last edited by Jocampo; 02-28-2008 at 12:08 PM.
Old 02-28-2008, 05:37 PM

07 CLS 63
Jocampo, what brand of bulbs you use for your fogs? Is the installation easy? Thanks!
Old 02-28-2008, 08:54 PM

06 CLS55 AMG
https://mbworld.org/forums/c219/224737-does-anyone-know-foglight-bulb-model-07-cls63.html

I bought them from piaa imported from japan. I like them but i will probably use these for my brights, and get an hid kit for the fogs.

blackcls63 posted a great diy on installing bulbs but the images are not there anymore. from what i remember he went thru the front, (torx screws) and then had to cit some sort of wire tie and from there it was easy.
Old 02-28-2008, 08:56 PM

07 CLS 63
I will check it out. Thanks again.
Old 02-29-2008, 03:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 E55 BEAST
I hope no one in here takes offense to this, but i was just wondering what gravitated you to the cls instead of the e? Im just curious, because my brother has a cls and personally i dont like it, and he doesnt know why he even likes it. What makes you guys love it so much more than the e? Once again, im not trying to offend anyone. Sorry if i did
Old 02-29-2008, 07:44 AM

06 CLS55 AMG
Originally Posted by W211 BEAST
I hope no one in here takes offense to this, but i was just wondering what gravitated you to the cls instead of the e? Im just curious, because my brother has a cls and personally i dont like it, and he doesnt know why he even likes it. What makes you guys love it so much more than the e? Once again, im not trying to offend anyone. Sorry if i did

None taken, But please dont be offended, I believe the e class to be the "camry" of mercedes benz. they are just way too common IMHO.

as why I like the cls soo much it's because of the dramatic (almost certainly dangerous) windows, sleek lines. One of the most aggressive bodystyles to come out of any major car manufacturer. I know that the e and cls are almost identical in mechanics, but the looks are what got me. When i was buying the cls, i was between an m5 or cls or m6, i passed on both m's cause i felt they dont really stand out in a crowd. To the avid car enthusiast you would know an m / amg car, but to the average (chicks, JK) eye the cls has much more curb appeal that the m5 m6 or e55 e63. IMHO.

I get stopped by cops to check out my car (3x's now they follow me and pull along side me), i get questions in drive thru's from customers , i get offers to buy my car , when i drive to car meets all the big block guys come over with questions and show respect (i am amazed) ,other cars give me the thumbs up, so in a small way i feel like a celebrity.

Please dont take offense but you wanted to know why.

You either love it or hate the cls.

When asked if i would sell my car i would. I would buy another one and do it all over again.

I was in the market for an e55 in 2005 , i believed it to be an ultimate sleeper car.

Last edited by Jocampo; 02-29-2008 at 10:40 AM.
Old 02-29-2008, 10:55 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2006 CLS55 AMG
Well said, Jocampo. I was a previous E55 owner and traded for the CLS55 because I also felt that there were too many E classes on the road.
Old 02-29-2008, 11:22 AM

a car that gets very poor gas mileage.
In my opinion, the CLS is the better looking car. Yeah, I could have had a slightly quicker car in the E (weighs less than a CLS), but the appearance of the CLS heavily outweighed that factor. From the front, or 3/4 view, or prophile (low roof line!), or rear...there isn't a single angle I don't love.
I too was on the market for an M5 or CLS63 (M6 wasn't an option because the rear seats are hardly seats at all but I think it looks better than the M5).

So my decision was based on aesthetics.
What is it about the CLS that you don't like?
Old 02-29-2008, 11:23 AM

06 CLS55 AMG
Thank you. I owned a 745li before my cls. Everyone liked my car but we all felt like it was an older person's car. so the cls is much more refreshing car for me in general.

Here are some stats from the amg lounge site.

E55 2004 3218 sold
E55 2005 2214 sold

E55 2006 1187 sold
CLS55 2006 2755 sold

I believe whole heartedly the cls stole alot of sales from the e class amg because of the updated looks.

I believe this has set the trend for the next decade because of the New audi, Bmw coupe style x6, and porsche panorama. 4 door coupe category didnt exist -Turbotom1

What do you think?
Old 02-29-2008, 11:36 AM

a car that gets very poor gas mileage.
Jocampo,
Good post. I was also going to suggest that there is now a shift in the market to build more "4 door coupes" (geez, I hate that description ).
But, I still prefer the appearance of the CLS over the BMW X6 and Porsche Panamera. However, concept pics of the Audi A7 look pretty good.
Old 02-29-2008, 12:09 PM

06 CLS55
too many

I agree 100 percent, with what jocampo says. Even now that I have one year left on my lease im thinking of keeping it for another 2 years its bearly out on the streets and when I see another one and i'm in someone elses car it reminds me how much I love my own.

Clos
Old 02-29-2008, 12:26 PM

2007 cls 550
John i must say that was a very well thougth out anser. good job lol now get back to work!! lol
Old 02-29-2008, 12:37 PM

SL63
Lightbulb Comments from the press about the CLS style

The press loves this car !!!

TestDriven.co.uk - TestDriven Cars of the Year 2006It's up-turned banana styling confused us all at first, ... Executive Car Winner: Mercedes-Benz CLS. Sports Car Winner: Maxda MX-5 Roadster Coupe ...
http://www.testdriven.co.uk/features...-the-year-2006 - 20k - Cached - Similar pages

2007 Mercedes-Benz CLS-Class Consumer ReviewRead the 2007 Mercedes-Benz CLS-Class Consumer Review on Edmunds.com. ... have no comment on its comfort level, but I love the styling and feel of the car. ...
http://www.edmunds.com/mercedesbenz/...merreview.html - 78k - Cached - Similar pages

Winding Road » Archive » Spy Shots: Mercedes-Benz CL CoupeHere are the latest photos of the next-generation Mercedes-Benz CL Coupe. ... As you can see, the new car’s styling will be much sleeker and much more ...
news.windingroad.com/auto-news/spy-shots-mercedes-benz-cl-coupe-2/ - 60k - Cached - Similar pages

Mercedes-Benz CLS 55 AMG Vs. BMW M6In terms of styling, the CLS vastly outshines its German competitor, ... For the lowest local dealer prices on this car, go to PriceQuotes.com, ...
http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2...06/161088.html - 21k - Cached - Similar pages

Snark Hunting | Mercedes and alphanumeric car namesThe CLS-Class redefines what a coupe can be. It offers expressive style, ... delivers aggressive sports car styling and an exhilarating driving experience ...
http://www.snarkhunting.com/2005/01/...ric-car-names/ - 33k - Cached - Similar pages

Mercedes-Benz CLS Reviews | new & used car reviews from ...To learn more about the Mercedes-Benz CLS (2005 - on) click on the car reviews ... The CLS, with its long, low, curvaceous styling and frameless doors, ...
http://www.moneysupermarket.com/c/ca...benz/cls-5282/ - 30k - Cached - Similar pages

Cls Blogs // Search Results, Blog Search // BlogCatalogCar Tuning Styling | January 31st 2008 by alvaro. Mercedes-Benz has just ... Daimler is considering temporarily moving production of its Mercedes CLS sports ...
www.blogcatalog.com/posts/cls - 31k - Cached - Similar pages

eMercedesBenz - The Unofficial Mercedes-Benz WeblogStuttgart – The Mercedes-Benz C-Class has emerged the winner of Germany’s largest vote for the most popular car by a wide margin. ...
www.emercedesbenz.com/ - 156k - Cached - Similar pages
Old 02-29-2008, 04:58 PM

Received 131 Likes on 87 Posts
2021 E63S Wagon 2019 S63 AMG Coupé 2015 S Coupé Edition 1 1970 Chevelle LS5

I get stopped by cops to check out my car (3x's now they follow me and pull along side me), i get questions in drive thru's from customers , i get offers to buy my car , when i drive to car meets all the big block guys come over with questions and show respect (i am amazed) ,other cars give me the thumbs up, so in a small way i feel like a celebrity.

I've had people ranging from an 8 year old boy to a 70+ year old man, bikers and moped drivers telling me the car is the most beautiful car they've ever seen.
Old 03-01-2008, 03:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 BEAST
The problem is that i cant really agree with you on the fact that their not everywhere (but i live in beverly hills, so the streets are infested with every kind of mb) But these are my problem with the car (once again, im not trying to offend anyone, just want to see how you guys feel abouut these points) the smaller headroom really bothers me (I'm 5 foot 10 and when the ride gets bumpy my head hits the roof. I dont like the small windshield, when i make turns i need to bend over to see under the mirror. I also dont understand the whole 4 seater thing. please let me know what you guys think about these.
Old 03-01-2008, 03:56 PM

2007 cls 550
The problem is that i cant really agree with you on the fact that their not everywhere (but i live in beverly hills, so the streets are infested with every kind of mb) But these are my problem with the car (once again, im not trying to offend anyone, just want to see how you guys feel abouut these points) the smaller headroom really bothers me (I'm 5 foot 10 and when the ride gets bumpy my head hits the roof. I dont like the small windshield, when i make turns i need to bend over to see under the mirror. I also dont understand the whole 4 seater thing. please let me know what you guys think about these.
im 6' i have no problem with head room. my head has never hit the roof, when you make turns you have to see under the under the mirror? i never had that problem, you might want to try adjusting your seat around. also its the same size as the e class, alittle longer and wider, but i will say if your 5'10 sitting in the back is very tight.
Old 03-01-2008, 03:57 PM

2007 cls 550
I feel the E class is a great family car, as for the cls its more sporty, has a whole differnt look to it then the E class, but its what ever your use to i guess.
Old 03-01-2008, 04:32 PM

06 CLS55 AMG
"What makes you guys love it so much more than the e?"

no you are not going to offend me. we were answering your original question as to why we chose the cls over the e. Im curious is your e55 stock or modded? Do you like "go" more than "show"?

I'm actually 6 foot 1 inch tall, i fit with an ample amount of headroom. The windshield doesnt bother me , other than if i went into water and had to break myself out, i'm a dead man.

I can see how the streets of BH would be infested will all diff types of mb's , exotics and how driving a cls (or anycar for that matter if it isnt 100K or higher) could become less exclusive.

My take on the 4 seater thing is, 4 door cars are commonly refered to a "saloons" due to the vast amount of windows.

A 4 door coupe (pronounced Koo-pay) class car to me is that you can have a 4 door sports car that will look more like a 2 door sports car. The reference to a "Saloon" is no longer valid . People often would rather have a 2 door car vs a 4 door car. The impression from "younger" people is 4 door cars are "farty" or mommy & Daddy's car. Not a car for a young person. So this car appeals to people who want a four door car but doesnt necessarily have to look like one.

Also cars/truck with big windows almost seem vulnerable. I have a Infiniti qx56 as well, and with those huge windows, i seem so accessable or vulnerable with the windows down or up. Not that i have gotten carjacked.

The cls with it's reduced window height has added IMHO a sense of exclusivity/privacy. I know you can add that by tinting the windows dark, but it's still not the same . guess i like to see people and not have them see me. LOL Hell i tinted my front windshield.

I touched on this subject before, that i believe that the cls put style and fashion BEFORE safety. Which i believe is true.

So for us here in the east coast, we see cls amg's but not many of them, if i see one a month that's cause i went by the dealer.

I'd love to see the demographic sales charts as to where the cls's/e's are concentrated in the usa.

I know the cls is not the car for everyone, but i think that's the way we like it. Mabye that's part of the appeal.

Last edited by Jocampo; 03-01-2008 at 07:33 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Looking to buy a cls 55