Collectibles, Models and Literature Use this forum to discuss Mercedes-Benz related topics on collectibles, models and literature.

Mercedes Magazine

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-08-2006, 03:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 E500
Mercedes Magazine

Howdy folks!

So what magazines are out there that are centered around Mercedes and such? I'm a mag. freak and subscribe to 12 a month.

However for some reason, have a hard time dropping $110 on the European made "Mercedes Enthusiast".

I have truck, bike, and car magazines that advertise vendors selling mods and stuff. What are y'all reading?
Old 09-08-2006, 03:41 PM

clk 320 pioneer FB 90 Chrome Halo projector headlights
yeah i agree i saw it for 52 euros i dont think its worth it there is a magazine called the star its from the mercedes benz club of america its 45 dollars a year and i guess the bi monthly magazine comes with membership
Old 09-13-2006, 03:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63
I've been a subscriber to Mercedes Enthusuast since it first came out. Yes it's a little pricey, but when it comes to MB what isn't, lol.

I think it is a great magazine, well worth the price. You will not find another magazine with as much reliable information & pictures on all the current, past & future MB's as this one. I definitely recommend it.
Old 09-21-2006, 12:45 PM

2003 E500
Great to hear. I may just pony up the dollars to do it.

In the meantime, any other good reads (besides Car and Driver and Road and Track) that tailor more specifically to German vehicles?
Old 09-25-2006, 11:41 PM
Almost a Member!

C320-2003
What their web so I can order one??
Old 09-26-2006, 12:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63
http://www.mercedesenthusiast.co.uk/
Old 07-26-2009, 02:52 PM

my wife wild, but she loves every minute of it.
Originally Posted by Nickc0844
So what magazines are out there that are centered around Mercedes and such? I'm a mag. freak and subscribe to 12 a month.
One of the best is The Star, published by the Mercedes Benz Owners Club.

http://www.mbca.org/pages_r/star.htm
Old 07-29-2009, 04:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 205 Likes on 182 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
The MBCA Star doesn't hold a candle to Mercedes Enthusiast. Unless you want to read about someone's restoration of some iron 1950s car. Coverage of the latest models is essentially nil and there is no technical editor knowledge of the new stuff.
Old 07-30-2009, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by lkchris
The MBCA Star doesn't hold a candle to Mercedes Enthusiast. Unless you want to read about someone's restoration of some iron 1950s car. Coverage of the latest models is essentially nil and there is no technical editor knowledge of the new stuff.
Joining the Mercedes Benz Club of America gets you the Star magazine. They do tend to focus on history. The magazine comes with membership, so it's not like you're simply subscribing to it.

Is there an American version of Mercedes Enthusiast?
Old 08-01-2009, 08:16 PM

Found a copy of Mercedes Enthusiast at Borders and read it over a cup of coffee. It is based in the UK, and very UK centric. Coverage of models -- new and old -- that are not sold here. I think I found one advertiser from the US, but rest were locals over there. The magazine was underwhelming. It seems clear that we need a magazine like Cavallino for Mercedes. Any publishers out there? It's a niche waiting to be filled.
Old 08-06-2009, 10:44 PM

MB
I have been a long time ME periodical buyer... sure it's euro-spec MBs featured there but many can still relate to the US versions.

Here is one example... covering the R107:

(article courtesy of Mercedes Enthusiast June2009 issue)
Old 08-07-2009, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by thebenzbar
I have been a long time ME periodical buyer ... sure it's euro-spec MBs featured there but many can still relate to the US versions.
Relating to US versions is not the same as being about US versions. Mercedes Enthusiast is about UK models, most of which never reach the United States. While it is interesting, I find it anachronistic with respect to the United States and vastly inferior to the Star. Again, it seems clear that we need a magazine like Cavallino for Mercedes.

Last edited by Jen_Kenne; 08-07-2009 at 08:09 AM.
Old 08-07-2009, 10:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Location: San Diego, CA & San Jose, Costa Rica & Stuttgart, Germany
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1959 220S / 1979 230 G / 2002 A210 AMG / 2003 C320 SC / 2004.5 C320 SS / 2005 ML350 SE / 2008 smart
funny, because I live in Germany, and subscribe to MERCEDES ENTHUSIAST from the UK.
Their model coverage is UK centric. Every once in a while they'll feature a car from the USA, but their focus is UK-market MB models. Even so, I find a huge difference between UK Mercedes models, and rest-of-Europe MB models that I see here in Germany.

I am also a member of the Mercedes-Benz Club of America (MBCA), and the Mercedes-Benz Club (UK). Both offer great magazines with their membership. THE STAR for the USA, and the MB Gazette for the UK. Both have revamped their format and content in the last year, and I find them on par with Mercedes-Benz Enthusiast. Downside for THE STAR is that it's a bi-monthly, rather than monthly issue, so sometimes their stories are a bit passé.

Additionally, if you join the MBCA, you get a regional section MB newsletter that corresponds to the area in which you live, and details MB specific events, rallies, technical sessions, meets, auto-cross/gymkhana's, and auto shows.

If you want to become a member of the MBCA, please send me a PM, and I'll give you my Member # so you can use me as a reference. The magazine alone is worth the annual membership fee.

Carlos

Saprissa@aol.com
Old 08-07-2009, 05:39 PM

MB
Originally Posted by Jen_Kenne
Relating to US versions is not the same as being about US versions. Mercedes Enthusiast is about UK models, most of which never reach the United States. While it is interesting, I find it anachronistic with respect to the United States and vastly inferior to the Star. Again, it seems clear that we need a magazine like Cavallino for Mercedes.
I never stated it was the same, the chassis are still related to one another even though certain euro vs. US version components differ. It's also understood that ME's coverage and features differ/vary when compared outside the UK. But even though ME is not about US versions, I respect ME for what it is and I feel it's still worth browsing through especially for an experienced MB enthusiast/owner like many of us.

I have many STAR issues as well and I like reading them. No matter the geographic location, I enjoy coverage of MBs in varying periodicals since I experienced both US & euro-spec models. I presume that's how my passion for MB speaks... to me, MB is universal.

I do agree it would be a delight to have a national US-based Mercedes magazine that you can find at the local Barnes or Borders.
Old 08-07-2009, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by Saprissa
funny, because I live in Germany, and subscribe to MERCEDES ENTHUSIAST from the UK.
Their model coverage is UK centric. Every once in a while they'll feature a car from the USA, but their focus is UK-market MB models. Even so, I find a huge difference between UK Mercedes models, and rest-of-Europe MB models that I see here in Germany.

I am also a member of the Mercedes-Benz Club of America (MBCA), and the Mercedes-Benz Club (UK). Both offer great magazines with their membership. THE STAR for the USA, and the MB Gazette for the UK. Both have revamped their format and content in the last year, and I find them on par with Mercedes-Benz Enthusiast. Downside for THE STAR is that it's a bi-monthly, rather than monthly issue, so sometimes their stories are a bit passé.

Additionally, if you join the MBCA, you get a regional section MB newsletter that corresponds to the area in which you live, and details MB specific events, rallies, technical sessions, meets, auto-cross/gymkhana's, and auto shows.

If you want to become a member of the MBCA, please send me a PM, and I'll give you my Member # so you can use me as a reference. The magazine alone is worth the annual membership fee.

Carlos

Saprissa@aol.com
Thank you, Carlos. We forgot to mention that the MBCA also has an online forum. Curiously, it is less active than this one.
Old 08-14-2009, 12:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 205 Likes on 182 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
Originally Posted by Jen_Kenne
The differences between UK, Euro, and USA models are very small and easily identified and essentially irrelevant to the ownership and driving experience.

I'm not hurt or damaged in any way reading about models not sold in the USA. It's educational, in fact, which is always a good thing.

Star is great if you want articles on how to restore iron from the 50s and 60s, but is mostly useless regarding 21st century models. The tech editor is clueless.
Old 08-14-2009, 12:44 PM

The differences between UK, Euro, and USA models are very small and easily identified and essentially irrelevant to the ownership and driving experience.

I'm not hurt or damaged in any way reading about models not sold in the USA. It's educational, in fact, which is always a good thing.

Star is great if you want articles on how to restore iron from the 50s and 60s, but is mostly useless regarding 21st century models. The tech editor is clueless.
Old 08-14-2009, 12:54 PM

2003 E500
I think based on me just posting this idea, someone should run with it and start US Mercedes Magazine Corp.!
Old 08-18-2009, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by Nickc0844
I think based on me just posting this idea, someone should run with it and start US Mercedes Magazine Corp.!
Absolutely. It's amazing that with much smaller production numbers, there are nice mags for Ferrari, and even Porsche. Mercedes-Benz deserves the best - there must be a publisher out there to do the job.
Old 08-19-2009, 10:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1997 E320 (silver/black)
That's strange ...

I thought that I made an addition to this thread the other night but I don't see it. A Mercedes publication that I read regularly is Mercedes-Benz Classic. It's a very well done quarterly that is published in Germany in an English language version. Great historical stuff about the cars and trucks and the people who designed, raced and sold them. Also a very nice travel item in each issue. I was able to buy all the back issues from the publisher and find the new ones at one of the Barnes and Noble stores. Haven't seen it anywhere else though. Publisher can be reached at:

mbclassic@zenit-presse.de

You'll enjoy it.
Old 08-20-2009, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by okc329
I thought that I made an addition to this thread the other night but I don't see it. A Mercedes publication that I read regularly is Mercedes-Benz Classic. It's a very well done quarterly that is published in Germany in an English language version. Great historical stuff about the cars and trucks and the people who designed, raced and sold them. Also a very nice travel item in each issue. I was able to buy all the back issues from the publisher and find the new ones at one of the Barnes and Noble stores. Haven't seen it anywhere else though. Publisher can be reached at:

You'll enjoy it.
Old 08-21-2009, 04:54 PM

You'll enjoy it.
Borders is closer, but they do not have it. I'll stop by Barnes & Noble this weekend.
Old 08-23-2009, 11:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1997 E320 (silver/black)
I hope you find it. Not all of the Barnes 7 noble stores here have it. I'd ask for it to be stocked in the store you frequent. Cos is about $9 per issue.
Old 08-23-2009, 11:44 AM

I hope you find it. Not all of the Barnes 7 noble stores here have it. I'd ask for it to be stocked in the store you frequent. Cos is about $9 per issue.
I remain optimistic. The UK magazine was interesting, but disappointing.